Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had your choice of a male brown standard puppy or a black puppy, which would you pick?

Here's a little background, the brown pup's mother has faded to a light brown. The father is pure black. The black pup has a few white hairs between the pads of it's feet. Does that mean that he will change to a blue or silver? I saw him at 6 week old and his face is still dark black. I can't decide. At first I chose the brown, but I'm rethinking it. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance to all.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Really its what you want, not what we think.

Are you buying show or pet, if pet the colour shouldnt matter whether it has got white hairs under the paws or patchs of white on a chest or if the brown lightens.

For me, even for show I dont let most of these things worry me unless it has the patch on the chest or elsewhere. In Oz we have a solid colour only that we can show. I wont have a personal preference on the colour when Im after the type of dog. Type means alot to me, substance, temperament, soundness and a show off attitude.

We all look for different things in dogs, so just go for the one that you feel you bond with better if its a pet. You may find you are after a certain personality or attitude.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can a blue be born from a litter of brown and black? I'm just trying to figure out if the black pup will be black, blue or silver. As I mentioned, the feet have some white hairs between the toes. He is a beautiful pup as far as confirmation, etc.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose is still brown but he has a LOT of white hair between his toes.

And when we let his hair grow he looks like he has salt`n`pepper hair on his back, and chest. It's not thick white, but its visible. More sandy blonde.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Have you asked your breeder??? I think he/she would be the best person to give you that inforamtion, as he/she would know the background of the dogs for several generations. Color is such a personal thing and really most poodles don't quite keep their color. That's probably why so many show dogs get hair color jobs. ;)* Black ones get dyed black and white ones get those special whiting shampoos, not quite sure if they actually dye the whites. Assuming that the breeder does all the recommended health testing and all is well healthwise, my next most important criteria would be temprament and confirmation. I don't show, but I love a poodle with great confirmation and would choose over color any day.* But, as mentined before the chocie is yours and what you want is the only thing that counts. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about conformation tips when looking at puppies? These standards are once they are grown. I know some apply to puppies too, such as bite, etc. But when looking at a puppy that's 7 weeks old, do they sometimes turn out looking differently once grown? Any tips would help. Thanks

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Your right that you can tell things at this age as far as conformation goes. Look for a pup with a nice flat topline, when its free standing see how straight it keeps it's front legs and you can judge the angles on the rear legs also. Umm, tail set is prefered high set ( right off back) and of course a good bite but you already mentioned that. The only thing you have to remember is puppy's dont always stand right and can be lazy. So judge it the best you can.

Maybe have the breeder get the pup to follow him/her around so you can see there movement. Even if you only want a pet and cant decide between the pups, looking at there structure can help make a decision. I prefer to look at a nice structured dog, show dog or pet.

Good luck! Tell us what you decide or post pics!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would choose the black but I already have a brown ha ha.
Good luck what ever you choose and hey post pics of both then we can ewww and ahhh over them both

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it was me, i would rely on the breeder's help to choose a pup. If good conformation is important to you, let him/her know. Talk to them about your vision of the perfect dog, then let them choose a couple they think would fit. Then let your heart decide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts