Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Get the second pair, the one for 78 bucks. DO NOT get the type of clipper with the adjustable blade,(which is what the first pair has) really save yourself the frustration. Often times the level adjusts on it's own and rarely have I seen an even clip out of them. Plus that level can be a little dangerous, you don't want it to get bumped or adjust by itself while you're clipping the face or the sanitary area. That could lead to nicks and cuts to say the least.

Andis makes another pet clipper that has detacable blades for pets, it's blue and comes with a set of snap on combs like the ones you're looking at. It may be cheaper. You can also find that very same pair of andis clippers in Sally's Beauty Supply for 80 bucks. I bought a pair reccently when my clippers broke at work, it was an in a pinch kind of thing. I ran next door to sally's and bought the cheapest pair that would suit my needs. I've been using them on my standard's for over a month now.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice :) There doesn't seem to be a huge range of affordable pairs here, and I'm not too keen to pay extra in importing them from overseas.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Oh I didn't even realize that you were in outside the states, I can understand not wanting to spend extra to get one shipped from far away.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Flake, go for a whal KMSS (or KM2 are fine too, tho often more expensive), they come up on trademe a fair bit, with a set of snap on combs often too. Generally they're the best price for decent clippers. Theyr'e not the best clippers I know, but for home grooming they certainly are about the best for the price in NZ!!
If you can't find them on TM, there are other places online in NZ that sell them.
Failing that, let me know and I'll see what I can hunt down too.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found them on trademe for $300? Really don't want to go above $150, we are landscaping atm so super tight budget :(

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Sorry I never got back to you again!! If you're on a really tight budget, then sure go for the cheaper ones, but definitely get one with snap on blades rather than a single adjustable blade.

If there *is* a chance you can stretch a bit more though, the more expensive ones might just be worth it. I have no idea the quality of the clippers you were looking at, but I know for a fact my whal KMSS have done well over 1000 groomings, and are still going strong.

Also, I personally charge $50 for a full groom on a mini, every 8 weeks, then a $300 pair of clippers will be money in your pocket after a year.
Seeing he's a pup, and they're a decent quality clipper they have the potential to last a lifetime if looked after...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I just want to say I agree w/ Wonder on the adjustable blades. I've had a few pairs and they suck. The nicest, most expensive pair I had lasted a year (about 6 grooms). I always oiled and cleaned them too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts