Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long did it take to get them comfortable with grooming? I know each dog is different and little by little is that to go. But Noodle looks crazy and, while there is light at the end of the tunnel, I'd love to have a sense of how long the tunnel is.

I have been doing 5-10 minutes every day of heavily reinforced work with clippers, hairdryer and general handling. (usually just one per session.) Some days are better than others but I think he is making slooooow progress.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Misha is not skittish at all but he did not take to grooming very well despite an early intro. Maybe you can describe what setup and tools you use. For brushing, I find doing it on a table makes a world of difference. And I use a slicker with coated pins most of the time because Misha clearly prefers it. Leg sensitivity is our biggest issue but there has been slow improvement. For shaving paws and face I use a grooming hammock. Misha prefers this after he learned to relax in it. I also switched to a bravmini clipper for the feet which helps.

My biggest recommendation is frequency and consistency. Daily brushing, weekly face and feet shave and nail clipping keeps me from having too much to do.

I tend to not use treats for these things as they haven't helped, but instead use a very no nonsense calm attitude.

·
Premium Member
23,404 Posts
Raindrops the calm yet confident demeanor is really important as is more frequent short sessions for youngsters Getting Ready. I do still "pay" for good behavior on th grooming table with freeze dried liver which is well loved but only used during grooming. There are some really good ideas from a number of different people here too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now he is still very nervous in the sink or on the table so I mostly just try to feed him his meals up there. (He doesn’t really eat them there yet.)

I brush him on the floor on a blanket while giving him treats, using various kind of brushes and combs, including a coated slicker. That goes okay.

He still is terrified of the hair dryer and the clippers. For each he will tolerate a minute or two. I handle his nails but am too chicken to clip them.

I would really like to get a place when a professional can do it. This is not my forte. I did find someone who is willing to come by between other jobs in the neighborhood and work on desensitizing him. So hopefully that will help.

·
Premium Member
23,404 Posts
Getting Ready that sounds like a good plan!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts