Poodle Forum banner

If you fed your Standard three times a day as a pup...

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Rockporters 
#1 ·
...did you ever drop that routine and why? Did you go to two meals or one meal? And how much do you feed/how big is your dog?

Growing up, after the puppy stage my dog got a milk bone for breakfast (ducking...hey, what did we know!), a meal for dinner (varied throughout the years, usually kibble, somtimes wet food or that crappy burger stuff with kibble), then a milk bone before bed. She wasn't a Spoo, but a mixed breed of various origins, retriever, etc. As a senior she was overweight. She also was a very inactive dog due to fears of being outside alone.

At age 1 1/2, Bella still eats three times per day. I'm wondering if this is a good or bad habit to keep up, as long as our lifestyles permit? At the moment we can usually keep to this routine, or I should say at least 5 days of the week, sometimes more.

Of course I have the bloat paranoia, so in that regard the three smaller meals seems like a good idea. She gets around a cup per meal. Right now it's the craptastic and miraculously-healing Z/D but I'm hoping that won't be forever. She is VERY active out in the yard, where she is off and on at least half of the day. Her top weight was 47 lbs, a few months ago, though at the vet last week she is 42 lbs. I am thinking it could be that she has missed a meal here and there lately that she's lost weight, because she seems otherwise healthy. Perhaps I should be giving her extra during the meal following the "missed meal," but I worry about overfeeding and making her sick.

Occasionally she gets more kibble in a kong or as rewards if out on walks, etc.

Thanks for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it makes sense to keep it at 3/day if it works for her and you. It makes intuititive sense that smaller, more frequent meals may reduce bloat risk. You could also try putting some wet Z/D in a Kong and freezing it. That will keep her busy when you leave her.

I had to laugh at your description of Z/D. Friends have had to use it for their dogs, and they had the same reaction. It is the ultimate Frankenfood, isn't it?

#7 ·
3cups a day?? Woah. That sounds like so much for a dog her size! I mean, 2 cups for Desmond is pretty hardy, and he's 50 lbs. I wonder if it's the food? I feed Orijen and it's so dense...

I used to feed 3 times a day, but it made it to where Desmond was never hungry! He barely touched his meals because he had them so often and got so much food. I switched it to one meal in the morning (6:00 AM on weekdays, and then whenever we wake up on weekends/days off) and then one meal late at night (usually around 7:00 PM). He gets a cup per meal. It works out perfectly for us, since he is hungry by dinner time and I actually feel way better about the less frequent feedings in regards to health issues.

If Desmond eats or drinks and then runs around, he always gets an upset tummy or throws up. If I fed him 3 times a day, it would be too much opportunity for him to upchuck. No thanks! That's no fun for anybody.

#10 ·
Orijen is different, they are supposed to eat less.

Jasper eats between 2-2 3/4 cups of TOTW depending on his mood. I still feed 3x a day and will continue, I prefer to feed a smaller meal. He doesn't overeat so some days I'll give him a bit extra if he's interested, and other days he barely touches any of his meals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.