Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what breed would you want to own? I'm so weird about shedding. I have a little OCD with my house being clean and seeing the cat hair bugs me so a heavy shedder wouldn't work for me but I've always loved the English cocker spaniel. The colors, size, and temperament are so neat. I'm so allergic to that breed it will only be just something I get to see at shows when I go.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol, I'm not allergic, so I'd still go with poodles!!! lol

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I love Boxers : ))) !!! So playful and so "manly" and elegant when bred well - BYB are really ugly sometimes : ((, unfortunately... BUT I will never have one since I can not stand slobbering LMAO I am also crazy about cleanliness like Kpoo, so any shedding or slobbering is automatically "out" .

I also adore Saint Bernard, Bernese Mountain Dog, Irish Water Spaniel. From smaller breeds I love mini Schnauzers and Shelties : ))) !!!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mini schnauzers are another one of those ugly dogs if they are byb poor things. If you get a good breeder they are gorgeous! My sister-in-law has one and it's a very yappy thing. Another no no of mine is yappiness.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I love Boxers : ))) !!! So playful and so "manly" and elegant when bred well - BYB are really ugly sometimes : ((, unfortunately... BUT I will never have one since I can not stand slobbering LMAO I am also crazy about cleanliness like Kpoo, so any shedding or slobbering is automatically "out" .

I also adore Saint Bernard, Bernese Mountain Dog, Irish Water Spaniel. From smaller breeds I love mini Schnauzers and Shelties : ))) !!!!
Just come from Rally O training with Teegan the Irish Water Spaniel, she is so cool, like a soft poodle that is like 4 times the weight.

I will always have a Spoo, cos I kinda hate hair ever since having one.

But the breeds I would love to have oneday are:

Afghan Hound
Pharaoh Hound
Blue Great Dane
Black Giant Schnauzer
Rough Collie
Irish Setter
Portuguese Water Dog
A Blue Dobermann
A Red Dobermann
and that's all I can think of right now lol

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh gosh a giant schnauzer is so cool but I don't think I'm a good enough dog trainer to own one. I've read a little on them and they are like owning a GSD in a way with their instinct towards protectiveness plus they are huge!

I've always loved the Boston terrier but in order to own a really nice Boston you have to buy from show breeders that breed their faces off. I just won't do that.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'm not allergic either :D so I'd stick the standard xD
((it'll be a CONSTANT in my life from now on))

but we've owned ALOT of dogs in my short life time
my favourite was our 5yr old Great Pyrenees ((she died of cancer 2 years ago)) but she was an AMAZING dog, and I wouldn't mind owning another some day...once I buy an 8000 acre farm xD

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I don't have any allergies at all, to anything, ever. (Lucky me?) But I'll always want a standard, however, there's also a few other breeds that are on my list-to-own someday, they are:

Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Samoyed
Boston Terrier

I can just imagine the corgi and samoyed would just make people with allergies cringe.

Y'know, my opinion of giant schnauzers has recently dramatically changed. The other day at the grooming salone I was scheduled one, I looked to my boss and asked, "You're kidding, right? Are you mad at me or something?" Well, I was just the one who's time got picked, so I go back and look at the dog and boy, is he gorgeous. But I'm thinking trouble.

His skirt was seven inches long, so that was a lot of work itself, lots of brushing and he had a few mats. I was thinking I was going to have to fight a rebelious blur of black and teeth. The outcome? The dog looked beautiful and I was drenched in drool from kisses. He didn't complain or snap for anything, not ear hair, not nails, not the huge task of brushing him. I know each dog is completely different, but this dog was amazing. (I'm kicking myself in the bum for not taking pictures of him.)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know people that own Bostons? I think Bostons are one of those breeds where people that love them can't get enough of them and then there are people that just can't stand them. They look like a lot of fun but very active.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
No allergies here but after owning a non-shedder, its hard to get past getting another shedder. Some other's I really like.....

GSD's (hair issue though :( )
Giant Schnauzer (concerned about temperment with small kids)
Doberman Pinscher (concerned about temperment with small kids)

Next dog is my husband's pick though. Luckily, he's a fan of what I generally like too. Not for a few years though.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I originally always thought a chocolate lab. It was my allergies which sent me down the road to Poodle (And thank you Obama for bringing to light people will allergies CAN still have dogs! ) and now I don't think I'd want anything else even if they disappeared. :love: Aside from all the other benefits, I cannot believe this dog does not SHED! I don't have pet hair all over the place! LOL. Of course I have groomer bills.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have no allergies, but am sticking with poodles and my little adorable Havanese. :)

I love most breeds and used to own German Shepherds who are huge favorites, English and all Setters, Greyhounds, Huskies and Malamutes, wolf hybrids (love, love, love them) , Dobies, Afgans....I could go on. Breeds I wouldn't have anymore is anything that slubbers, anything with flat faces or underbites.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't have allergies and I have an Australian Shepherd. I hate all the piles of hair everywhere but I do love that soft silky bury-your-face-into coat. They are also amazingly smart.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I dont have allergies, but i would like to someday own:

Doberman
Dogo Argentino
Irish Wolfhound
Vizsla

Those are on the short list, and i will always have a poodle in the mix somewhere!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm not allergic either but I will one day have a Rottweiler.
Also not allergic. We have 2 standard poodles, Rocky & Marlee. 2 toy poodles, Rachael & Ginger and 1 Rottie, Ruby. We love them all. Ruby is getting up there in age and probably will not be with us for a whole lot longer. Over the years we have had many different types of dogs, ie. GSD, poms, queenslands, a rat terrier, a sheltie, and of course our most recent being our older rottie and our precious poodles. Our first poodle ownership began only about 2 1/2 years ago, at which time we bought our first toy. I can say now, since having non/little shedding fur babies, that we will probably never own another shedding type breed again. We truly love our rottie, Rubie, but have never had any dog shed as much as she does.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
what breed would you want to own? I'm so weird about shedding. I have a little OCD with my house being clean and seeing the cat hair bugs me so a heavy shedder wouldn't work for me but I've always loved the English cocker spaniel. The colors, size, and temperament are so neat. I'm so allergic to that breed it will only be just something I get to see at shows when I go.
I am with you on the hair.

I have 2 Poms and they are supposed to be low to medium level shedders BUT Aoki had one heat cycle (came on before spay) and she shed hair everywhere for months it was awful!!

SO I would say Doberman, Sheltie, English Bulldog, Cocker Spaniel, and Golden Retriever.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I never liked Bostons until I met one. SIL was keeping one for a friend long term and he was a total love bug. I'd have brought him home in a second. He did leave short white hairs all over my clothes though.

I'm not allergic either, but if hair, drool, size and short life span weren't issues, I'd definately have a Saint Bernard.

Maltese don't shed and are another breed recommended for allergy sufferers. Harley sheds, but it's never been that bad. His hair falls straight to the floor and is easily swept up. I have no carpet, maybe that's why I don't mind it at all. The cat hair drives me nuts b/c it sticks to everything and when you go to sweep it flies aways.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yeaaaayyy - Harley wants St. Bernard too LOL Maybe we can share ; ) !!! ha ha

I met couple of them in my life and the last one at the Ski Expo - OMG !!! He was a living doll !!! Needless to say, I stayed with a dog while my family explored ski equipment : )) ! I started petting him and he just "plopped" down ON my feet and started dozing off lol and than I felt bad to wake him up and just sat down myself LMAO. Than he put his head on my lap - and what can I tell - I almost made tantrum when it was time to go home :bird::rofl:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts