Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news is I have found what Poppy really, really loves more than anything else in the whole wide world.

The bad news is it is raw tripe!

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cow's stomach lining, in it's raw, uncleaned, unbleached state - slippery, smelly, yucky stuff, that is highly nutritious and much loved by dogs (especially Poppy!).

·
Registered
631 Posts
Do you think she would still like it if you dehydrated it? That will take away a little of the stink in the long run and make it easier to handle.
My girls love these dehydrated salmon treats that stink to high heaven but they work so hard for them.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy loves tripe, but he hasn't had it raw. I'm afraid he would love it too. LOL

My cat was right--dogs are gross. :D

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did try them with the dry tripe once, but drying it seems to concentrate the smell even more ... Might be a good idea for training treats, though. I am certainly not going to be handing out chunks of it fresh and raw!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I remember when I was first told about tripe. A raw food dealer at a dog show told me that if I started feeding it to my dog (only small amount 1 to 2X's a day) that it would become her FAVORITE thing. I just got it because it was suppose to be so good for her and low-and-behold. Now....her FAVORITE thing in the whole world above all other raw and, or cooked foods of ANY kind. God help me when I run out and Butter has to wait a day or 3 before getting anymore. She'll just stare at her dish of food as though I'm trying to poison her. It's really quite pathetic and makes me feel sooo guilty.
And yes, it smells....ALOT. Have to wash my hands every time after I touch the stuff.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Even the cooked tripe in Merrick's Working Dog Stew stinks to high heaven. Makes me wonder why on earth he likes it so much...then I remember that he also has a taste for goose droppings and it all makes sense.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It also has the consistency of giant rubber bands, so takes a long, long time to chew! I have discovered it is much easier to deal with while frozen, so I have boxed up meal size portions - that way I can defrost it with the lid on, tip it into a bowl, and leave the house until it has all gone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts