Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at the dog park , this guy asked me if Enzo was neutered. I said no ( in my head I was thinking oooo no a peta freak going to tell me to neuter and spay ) to my surprise the Idiot says we have a golden retriever that we want to breed to a poodle to make golden doodles ..........

I told him no thank you ! its ok ...... As we where getting out the gate his wife runs up and say we where looking at your poodle we want to breed. She tells her husband give her your card. the husband says we will split the loot golden doodles are great ....... I told the lady he is a puppy and wont be bred ... the lady says will call us when he is not a puppy..... There dog was so ugly lol it was 3 years old already. In my head I was like these idiots. I just left and threw his card away in the trash.

I can't even spell Idiot lol opps

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Honestly, I don’t know why people love these hybrid breeds!?!?!? I believe that you actually intensify some of the health issues related to certain breeds if you breed them together.

Ponki is a mix that I adopted through our organization... and she's a great dog... but honestly I'll NEVER breed to get hybrids!!! It’s silly, they are not recognized by any organization/club as far as I know.
Roxy sounds like those people where “talent scouts” - LOL :crazy:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I don’t know why people love these hybrid breeds!?!?!? I believe that you actually intensify some of the health issues related to certain breeds if you breed them together.

Ponki is a mix that I adopted through our organization... and she's a great dog... but honestly I'll NEVER breed to get hybrids!!! It’s silly, they are not recognized by any organization/club as far as I know.
Roxy sounds like those people where “talent scouts” - LOL :crazy:
Yeah it is true either they will have health problems or get hybrid vigor if the parents are disease and disorder free.

Yeah I have no problem with adopted mixed dogs, I have a problem with the ones people breed to make money off of. Its not the dogs fault of course but I get so mad when people say stuff like golden doodles are best we can make money ….

I also HATE how these golden and Labrador people say they breed doodles because of hypo allergenic qualities a poodle will bring. WTF ? if that is the case get a PUREBRED POODLE… do they think poodles are dumb or something ? Why take a breed that is so versatile and mix it with a dog that is not ? I am sorry I like most breeds but labs and golden’s are my least favorite. I just think most bred today are just easy to train and that’s it. It’s rare to see a field version of both breeds (these are these smarter ones imo) .

Yes these people probably have bred there dog before since she is 3 years old. She was so over weight and looked a mess…… they are lucky my sister was not there she would have told them off. I didn’t want to bother wasting my time.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well if you check out any ads Doodles get far more then poodles do now.
Around here a registered poodle is 1000-1400 and unregistered is 500-750 a doodle is anywhere from 750 - over a thousand and mini doodles now are starting at 1500
Browns, reds, cost more and if you get a brown doodle or a red one in the litter they sell it even higher price.

The mighty buck rears its ugly head

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I also HATE how these golden and Labrador people say they breed doodles because of hypo allergenic qualities a poodle will bring. WTF ? if that is the case get a PUREBRED POODLE… do they think poodles are dumb or something ? Why take a breed that is so versatile and mix it with a dog that is not ?

I totally agree!!!! I don't understand the whole fascination with the poodle mixes. I don't care what they call them a hybrid, a designer dog....a mutt by any other name is stil just that a mutt and paying a top dollar for a designer mutt is insane.

A lady approached me at the dog park admiring my standards. Then she went on to tell me that she is going to buy a golden doodle. I just looked at her and said: "So you are just going to buy a dumbed down version of the real dog" and walked away. :( Stupid people!!!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totally agree!!!! I don't understand the whole fascination with the poodle mixes. I don't care what they call them a hybrid, a designer dog....a mutt by any other name is stil just that a mutt and paying a top dollar for a designer mutt is insane.

A lady approached me at the dog park admiring my standards. Then she went on to tell me that she is going to buy a golden doodle. I just looked at her and said: "So you are just going to buy a dumbed down version of the real dog" and walked away. :( Stupid people!!!
I agree..... There was another idiot at the dog park as well. I see a guy comes in with a South african Boerboel , this dog is hard to mistake it for somethin else. I asked the dude is the a SA boerboel he says no its a mastiff ....:faint: I just left that alone also I am like how the hell do you not know what kind of dog you own ?!??!! I thought he rescued it but he said he bought the dog because his dog was the runt of the litter.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I agree..... There was another idiot at the dog park as well. I see a guy comes in with a South african Boerboel , this dog is hard to mistake it for somethin else. I asked the dude is the a SA boerboel he says no its a mastiff ....:faint: I just left that alone also I am like how the hell do you not know what kind of dog you own ?!??!! I thought he rescued it but he said he bought the dog because his dog was the runt of the litter.
Wow.... those are pretty rare I've never seen one in the US.
I'm from SA and we owned about a dozen when I was growing up - we lived on a huge farm and my dad had never been without an SA boerboel one day of his life! I have a really cute pic where I was about 3 years old and I was standing in a puddle of mud with the two boerboels next to me.... gonna have to dig that out and post it (just for fun!!!)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow.... those are pretty rare I've never seen one in the US.
I'm from SA and we owned about a dozen when I was growing up - we lived on a huge farm and my dad had never been without an SA boerboel one day of his life! I have a really cute pic where I was about 3 years old and I was standing in a puddle of mud with the two boerboels next to me.... gonna have to dig that out and post it (just for fun!!!)
Awesome I would love to see your boerboels !

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Ooooh, I would love to see that picture!!!!

I've only met SA Boerboel once at a dog park when I was visiting my mom in Southern California. When I asked the owner what kind of mastiff it was he said S.A. Boerboel (or S.A. Mastiff). The owner had a great control over the dog and the dog was really obidient. He let me love on him and gave me an almost kiss. :)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I've only met SA Boerboel once at a dog park when I was visiting my mom in Southern California. When I asked the owner what kind of mastiff it was he said S.A. Boerboel (or S.A. Mastiff). The owner had a great control over the dog and the dog was really obidient. He let me love on him and gave me an almost kiss. :)
HAHAH what dog park was it ? cause his Boerboel was trying to french kiss me lol

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Wow, I would've been way meaner! I would honestly be insulted if someone wanted me to breed mutts. I agree with all that has been said here about "Doodles." I can't believe anyone would pay more for one. I've been watching Petfinder for standard Poodles and it gets annoying trying to weed out all the Lab/Golden, Poodle mixes. Why pay $1000s for one when there are literally hundreds on Petfinder, puppies and adults?

Roxy, you and I are definitely on the same page about Labs (I haven't had much contact with Goldens). I've known many, and don't dislike any of them, but I would never own one. They are so unfocused and hyper, definitely ADHD. I've never been around a Lab that didn't jump on/ trample everyone they met. Don't get me started on their tails (ouch!).

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I would've been way meaner! I would honestly be insulted if someone wanted me to breed mutts. I agree with all that has been said here about "Doodles." I can't believe anyone would pay more for one. I've been watching Petfinder for standard Poodles and it gets annoying trying to weed out all the Lab/Golden, Poodle mixes. Why pay $1000s for one when there are literally hundreds on Petfinder, puppies and adults?

Roxy, you and I are definitely on the same page about Labs (I haven't had much contact with Goldens). I've known many, and don't dislike any of them, but I would never own one. They are so unfocused and hyper, definitely ADHD. I've never been around a Lab that didn't jump on/ trample everyone they met. Don't get me started on their tails (ouch!).
Well I like the show goldens but to me they look like a pretty case that is empty inside lol as for labs I really really dislike them they are annoying lol

Show labs are hippos ..... the field ones are nice but I dont think I can take a dog that is " so in your face: I would have to give it away lol

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I just want to ditto what everyone has said. I dont care for mixes (mutts) myself and certainly do not promote breeding any type of mixes.

My sister and bro-n-law owns two mutts, pit x mastiff and a lab x dobe. Both dogs aren't balanced and have weird personalities. Her pure Pit Bull is the best dog they own but they actually like him the least. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Well I like the show goldens but to me they look like a pretty case that is empty inside lol as for labs I really really dislike them they are annoying lol

Show labs are hippos ..... the field ones are nice but I dont think I can take a dog that is " so in your face: I would have to give it away lol
Once again I agree completely! The way those show Labs look is shameful. They appear winded just walking around the show ring, no way they could actually hunt. Most of the Labs I know are the field type. They look much better, but are soooo hyper.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's the one in the valley on Victory & White Oak.
Its on Laurel canyon lol its the same park ! hahahahaah you probably seen the same dog. I wonder why the guy told me its a mastiff ? maybe a different guy but its not common to see people with the breed. His name was frank ( the dogs name)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The park that I go to isn't on Laurel Canyon, I don't think. It's in the valley on Victory Blvd and White Oak. If you are going down 101 from the valley toward L.A. it's between White Oak and Balboa. Is that the same park????

Its on Laurel canyon lol its the same park ! hahahahaah you probably seen the same dog. I wonder why the guy told me its a mastiff ? maybe a different guy but its not common to see people with the breed. His name was frank ( the dogs name)

·
Registered
646 Posts
He probably said that as he found it easeir then trying to say its real name and people saying WHAT. We had an english mastiff and I would hear look at the pitbul, bull mastiff, great dane, So many different things all the time.
He might have been in a rush and rather then explain types of mastiff just said mastiff.
How many types of you heard look at the giant poodle. Really weird but a lot of people don't realize they come in different sizes either.
Some dog people know thier dogs and other dog people don't care what they own even

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

I FOUND IT.... damn I was cute! :)rofl:)
The second pic is of my brother and "Leeu" (pronounced leo) meaning Lion in Afrikaans (my native tongue). He was about 5 months in that pic. He grew up to be one big bulge of muscles... I can't find a pic of him as an adult thou.

PS: Now that I look at those pics they really look nothing like mastiffs - except for the coloring maybe.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts