Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that many of you have surfed a fair number of poodle web sites. Dianne and I are building ours and I am looking for any ideas and more importantly, recommendations for content. You all know what you like on a site and what turns you off. I would really appreciate it if you would share those things with us.

Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I like seeing pictures of the poodles stacked, and the pictures of them being "themselves" you know what I mean? It's nice to see what the poodle looks like, but it's also nice to see some of their personality in pictures.

I also like to see the contract in downloadable form so I can read it out before agreeing to a purchase.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Links to any health registries you have as well as pedigree's. I LOVE seeing pics of the poodles in the home environment, expecially the puppies, then you can see they are being raised underfoot...If CH are the sire or dam show pics are nice as well.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I like Cabernet web-page.

http://www.cabernetstandardpoodles.com/home.htm

Very elegant , easy to see all info at one glance or if one wants can also stay for a while "with a dog" and read a short history and anecdotes about particular dog.

Pedigree icon is by each dog (thumb size) than can be checked on the spot .

The only thing that I would add to that site would be OFA results of each dog at the same page .

Hope it helped :) !!!

PS: Fantastic breeder BTW and wonderful person behind that "page" :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I personally like to see the following for dogs pages

• Stacked photos
  • Movement photos
  • Relaxed/In home photos
  • Head Shots
  • Link to Pedigree
  • Link to OFA/PinHipp/CHIC
  • Link to kennel the dog is from
Small paragraph on the dogs temperament, quirks and any pertinent information.

For puppy information I like to see

• Link to contract for pet and show
  • Price (either "contact for pricing" or a dollar amount)
  • Links to Sire and Dame information

I think a good welcome says a lot about the breeder, short and sweet on what your immediate and long term goals are, where your located and what events you compete in with your dogs.

Do you have a logo yet?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
More pics of stacked adults and show pictures than puppy pics. All puppies are cute and that has nothing to do w/ what kind of quality you are producing. I tend to see those w/ tons of puppy pics, especially on their home page, as breeders who are seeking ignorant, impulse buyers. Also no music. Most computers have a media player of some sort, if the buyer wants music they can listen to their own. It's so annoying when you are looking around breeder sights and all of the sudden really loud, polyphonic music starts up. If the info isn't listed on OFA, PHR and/or poodlepedigree, then it's nice to see it on the website. I think it's a great idea to link those on a website too. Even if someone doesn't buy from you, they have a chance to be educated. PCA is a good one too, it lets you know the breeder is knowledgeable about the standard and code of ethics. I love websites w/ education links. One of my favs is http://www.foxstonemaltese.com/favorite.htm, but she also has annoying music. I let her pass b/c Sharon is awesome, lol.

I can't wait to see your site when it's up. I think it's great your looking for suggestions, but don't sweat it too much. I've seen site from highly recommended breeders who I would definately buy from, that haven't been updated in years. I don't see it as a turn off, it means they want some human interaction and are probably spending more time w/ the dogs than the computer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What about videos? The ones you put up today are great. Gives the viewer more insight on your poodles personalities, beauty and brains.:)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
HUGE Put offs:
Music
Weird text (stick with normal text)
Bright, gaggy colors, either do pastels or plain white background with black text
Tacky animations
Pictures of overgrown, ungroomed dogs

Things I like:
Seeing where puppies are whelped
Health information
Pedigrees
Pictures of puppies from precious litters, both with you and in their new homes
Stacked dogs
Where you groom your dogs
Information for potential puppy buyers about puppies
Silly, fun pictures
Prices
Descriptions of the dogs personalities

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Music is awful!! It will never be the kind of music I listen to, and I find it highly annoying. I also get turned off by sites that are crammed to the rafters with "stuff"- photos, noisy backgrounds, way too many words...I used to be in print advertising and ourt motto was "more white space". I think a web site should be the same. If you put in too much info, people feel overwhelmed and read nothing.

Never enhance the colour of your dogs because most people know you are doing it by how unrealistic the background looks, and for me that would be a HUGE red flag. Why not just be honest. Most of the interested parties will be meeting your dogs anyway.

Loads of photos of your pups interacting with their littermates and humans. Not like little used cars being held up for the camera with no personalitgy shining through.

·
Registered
875 Posts

Loads of photos of your pups interacting with their littermates and humans. Not like little used cars being held up for the camera with no personalitgy shining through.
One Thing that just absolutely irks me ( and a lot of crappy toy breed breeders do this) is props around the puppies, or putting a soda can or something next to the puppies to show how tiny they are.

I have nothing against showing individual puppies on a colored background, but I hate props.

I also hate the music... one site I went on barked everytime you visited it, which is terrible if you are a night owl like me, I would log on at like 3 am and the site would bark, then all my dogs freak right out barking.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
One Thing that just absolutely irks me ( and a lot of crappy toy breed breeders do this) is props around the puppies, or putting a soda can or something next to the puppies to show how tiny they are.
I agree with this too! It's really tacky.

Also, never, EVER photoshop your dogs! I can name a couple 'popular' poodle sites that do this, and I don't know about everyone else, but I can spot those from a million miles away and I think it not only looks horrible, but it also makes you look like a horrible, idiotic person. It's mostly tails that I see photoshopped.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
haha, yes I agree with all of the above. Pick a colour scheme, perhaps to go with a logo.
Clean and crisp, not all cluttered and gawdy.
Definitely some nice stacked pics as well as candid ones! And definitely no photoshopped pics, just a touch of editing to make the pic nice, but not to enhance the dogs themselves obviously! (I know of some popular sites with those stupidly PS pics too, the headless puppy was slightly disturbing... hahahaha!)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I like seeing well-rounded poodles, ones that not only have conformation titles, but other titles as well, such as obedience, agility, tracking. And that you as a breeder value these titles as well.

It's nice in addition to the posed winning shots, if you can show action shots of the dogs in competition which show their movement. Of course, videos are great to see their movement.

Poodle breed standard (or link to it)
Pedigree scanned in (or link to it)
Info. for potential puppy owners (what to be prepared for, essential equipment, what goes home with puppy, recommended vaccinations and schedule, what you feed the puppies, how to housebreak puppy)
Recommended books/websites on Poodles, Dog Training, grooming)
Pet Contract/Show Contract
If no puppies, planned upcoming breeding information
Link to OFA, Poodle Health Registry
Pictures with little snippets of puppies you produced (owned by others) that have gone on to earn conformation, obedience, agility, tracking, CGC titles

I'm sure there is more but those are some of the most obvious things. This is a great thread, and I'm keeping notes.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I personally like to see the following for dogs pages

• Stacked photos
  • Movement photos
  • Relaxed/In home photos
  • Head Shots
  • Link to Pedigree
  • Link to OFA/PinHipp/CHIC
  • Link to kennel the dog is from
Small paragraph on the dogs temperament, quirks and any pertinent information.

For puppy information I like to see

• Link to contract for pet and show
  • Price (either "contact for pricing" or a dollar amount)
  • Links to Sire and Dame information

I think a good welcome says a lot about the breeder, short and sweet on what your immediate and long term goals are, where your located and what events you compete in with your dogs.

Do you have a logo yet?

No PP we don't have a logo yet. Not sure how we're going to come up with one!

Nice list. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree with everyone else's comments, especially about the annoying and distracting websites.

I like to see how the puppies will get socialized. What experiences are they going to have before a buyer gets them (outside, introduction to kids, other dogs, horses, water, ect.)

Will you be doing temperament testing or how do you plan on matching the right dog to the family?

Will they get any training? I know at 8 weeks puppies are still trying to stand up straight, but a lot of people don't understand their growth and mental abilities at that age. Maybe include a chart in and FAQ section on how the puppies progress from fertilization through 8 weeks (mentally and physically). I did this when I was waiting on Zulee. Even the hubby would ask me, "what is she growing this week?"

I think it would be helpful to have an FAQ and include how to house train a puppy and the time frame to expect them to be reliable in the home.

OK....Here's my BIG dream of a webpage. I know it would be expensive to do. Maybe you could build it in stages over time. If I could find this on ANY breeder's web page, I would go CRAZY excited with respect for their program.

I would like to see an interactive Pedigree page for each of the dogs you use in your breeding program....whether they are your own or one on loan.

Meaning....I would like to be able to click on the dog, see not only a pedigree, but a photo pedigree. Where I could click on the dog and get all of their health information (links to OFA, ECT.) I would also like to see a photo gallery of their life progression along with antidotes on the dog's adventures. Not only could I see how a dog's color could change from a pup, but I could read about the dog's personality while looking at pictures. If the dog has passed, I want to know how old they were and why they died. If it was an accident, something genetic, or natural old age.

I would want this information on every dog in the pedigree. I know this is a HUGE wish list, but we are in the information age. There's no longer an excuse why this can't become standard practice. It would innovate the breeding process to a whole new level.

Taking this a step further, I would have a picture blog for your clients where they could add photos and text about the dog's they have purchased. I keep my breeder updated via email and would be happy to update a picture blog.

The good and the bad would be out there, but at least it came from you. No hiding. I think people would see how much work it takes to improve the breed.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THANK YOU EVERYONE for wonderful ideas for us to consider. We have already started the site and am pleased to tell you that the colors are muted and there is NO MUSIC!! I don't like that either. As some of you said, if I want music, I'll turn my own on. It is distracting.

I am making a list of all the pros/cons and suggestions that have been offered.

I am wondering if any of you can recommend sites to link to that would be help puppy buyers with care of their puppy, etc. I know some of you mentioned them and hope that you might have them bookmarked.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
HUGE Put offs:
Music
Weird text (stick with normal text)
Bright, gaggy colors, either do pastels or plain white background with black text
Tacky animations
Pictures of overgrown, ungroomed dogs

More stuff I hate is having a list of you dogs and no pics, then you have to click on each dogs name to see pics but another browser window pops up. OMG this gets on my freaking nerves. I don't want 10 browser windows up just to see ten of your dogs. I am ok with a list of names and when you click it just flows to their page lol IMO its just easier to have dogs listed with pics.

I also hate ( do not know the name) but when you scroll over the dogs and it drops down and says bitches dogs. Then you have to scroll over that and a list of the bitches are dogs come up and then you have to click on name. Took much work to see the dogs lol like this one I just hate it
http://www.starlinewhippets.com/

Here are some websites I really like. ( of course these where done by a pro but i like the flow of them, just wanted you to have an idea)

http://oakleysetters.com/ ( i would like more info on health and an about us page for this link)

http://www.chelseawhippets.com/
http://www.endeavorwhippets.com/present.html
http://www.caragankennel.com/ ( really like the flow of things this one)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
One more thing, please resize your imagines to a size that you can see on most monitors. That is a huge petpeeve of mine not only on poodle sites, but on poodleforum too! I won't look at pictures if they take up more room than my screen on my 19" monitor.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One more thing, please resize your imagines to a size that you can see on most monitors. That is a huge petpeeve of mine not only on poodle sites, but on poodleforum too! I won't look at pictures if they take up more room than my screen on my 19" monitor.
That is a very good point. We will test the web site by viewing it on my 15" screen on my lap top.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts