Poodle Forum banner

Ideas for a Spay-Themed Birthday Present?

4K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  SamieNorman 
#1 ·
Well, the day is almost upon us! On May 26th, Peggy turns two years old. And on May 27th, she is scheduled for spay surgery.

I’ve decided that her birthday present this year will be some special items to keep her comfy and mentally stimulated during her recovery. Any suggestions for the birthday girl?

So far:
  • Bionic treat-dispensing chew toy
  • Sheepskin rug for lounging (since she loves mine so much )

See less See more
#18 ·
I feel honored to share a birthday with Peggy!

Have you thought about cone options or body suits to keep her stitches safe? The regular cone wasn't enough for Ziggy's long neck and body so I had to scramble to find a body suit.
Happy almost-your-birthday!

I tried out a t-shirt option, which seemed to work pretty well. She has such unique proportions, I wasn’t sure a bodysuit would work.

#4 ·
I’ve just discovered the most adorable handmade snuffle mats on Etsy that would make a fun and mentally stimulating gift.

#6 ·
I was going to suggest snuffle mat too and puzzle toys.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti
#7 ·
#8 ·
Does she have a Kong jumbler? It squeaks. Not very spay-related, though. You could get her one of those cute soft cones that look like a lion’s mane or a sunflower. New luxury dog bed? A fancy crate like a Ruffland? A super giant-sized stuffed animal- maybe big enough to lie on!

Have fun shopping!

#10 ·
Bobby recommends the Snoop by Planet Dog if Peggy doesn’t have one already. It’s his favorite food dispensing toy. It’s fun to push and bounce. Unless she’s a heavy chewer it’s pretty tough. It’s even more fun if you put treats/ kibble inside and then smear a bit of peanut butter on the outside edges.

#20 ·
If she doesn’t have any Ruff n Tuff stuffies, I recommend Sadie the Bear. She can shake it by the neck when she’s frustrated or use it as a pillow. The hardest part about a surgery is keeping a poodle on restricted activity... Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

#21 ·
My dogs love this thing, it has so many squeakers it lasts quite awhile for us. Good luck and happy birthday to Peggy! I’m sure she’ll do great, but I understand how nerve wracking it is to have your fur baby under anesthesia. Harlequin did really well after her spay. Much better than I had expected. I always think they don’t hardly send enough pain meds home for the poor dogs, but honestly Harlequin didn’t hardly even act like she was in pain much really after hers. I know she handled it much better than when I had a c section. Abdominal surgery hurts. Peggy will be fine though. She’s blessed to have such good humans taking care of her.
ZippyPaws - Loopy Hedgehog No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toy - for Small and Medium Dogs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT8K7J6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_R4969KM6B5Q7422CZJH7

#24 ·
Lacey seconds the bully sticks. They definitely have a barnyard kind of smell while they’re out and being chewed, the smell doesn’t stay on the dog. But they’re not greasy or messy, and guaranteed to keep Peggy constantly chewing and entertained for as long as you’ll let her.
Since they aren’t raw, hopefully they wouldn’t be enough to trigger resource guarding.
I also hope you get the uterus pillow!

#25 ·
Good luck sweet Peggy!!!
A fun thing Loki likes is his alien toy that viabrates and barks at him. Also his wobble ball. It might be too much activity for the first few days of rest, by it really mentally stimulates Loki and keeps him busy as long as I allow him to have it. I take it away after about 20 minutes, before I go insane hearing them bark at each other LOL!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.