Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would LOVE to hear what everybody else did (or is doing)!

I am worrying that my puppy isn't getting enough quiet rest, but I also don't want to leave him crated for too long. I know little puppies may need to sleep 18 hours a day, but how many hours should a three month old be sleeping..?

·
Super Moderator
7,145 Posts
At that age, they're still sleeping up to 20 hours a day. Best thing to do is to read your puppy: Does his brain seem fried? Is he bitey or zooming or forgetting basic training? He probably needs a nap.

At 18 months, Peggy still occasionally needs an enforced nap. And on a normal day, I'd say she sleeps about 15 hours total.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Starla is 3 months old today (13 weeks tomorrow). Our routine is:
6:30 - wake up/pee and poop
7-8:30 - play with the kids and husband
8:30 joins me in my office to chew a bully stick/nap
Mid morning, I get another cup of coffee and she has a potty break followed by a quick training session.
Sometime between 11 and 1, I take an hour lunch break and take her on a walk/play with her.
Around 3, I take her out again and do another quick training session.
4-5 general craziness with the kids
5-6 force relaxation upon the puppy - it’s everyone’s worst time of the day
6 dinner (Starla practices patiently and calmly watching people eat)
7:30 read books with the kids and put them to bed
She usually goes to sleep around 9 at my feet, and I take her out at 11 or so before I go to bed and then she goes in her crate. She hasn’t asked to go out at night* since the first week.

Is it ideal? I have no idea, but it’s working well for our family! She goes out as she asks. She was pretty bored today, but has toys in my office to play with.

Reactions: a2girl

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, that settles it. We are DEFINITELY keeping him up too much! (He rarely falls asleep on his own; we have to guide him to his crate. I think he has puppy FOMO.)

I think I did so much reading on how poodles need lots of stimulus that I may definitely be doing too much with him.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Definitely, your puppy needs to sleep more. A lot more. He should nap in the morning, in the afternoon and in the evening maybe. Puppies need a lot of sleep, just like little kids.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put him down for naps every two to three hours, but I’m thinking it needs to be more often than that..? That was why I asked about schedules.

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
246 Posts
Mine is 13 weeks, he wakes up at 7 am, we eat, potty, train, play, then he takes a nap while I work 8:30 to 12:30 (or has quiet time while playing with his toys alone if not sleepy... he will usually play for about a half hour or so by himself before falling asleep), then 12:30 to 1:30 we potty, play, train, etc. Then he quietly plays with toys before going to sleep between 1:30 - 5:30 while I work (I have toys in the crate during the day, he is good about stopping play and just falling asleep, I also don't always crate him for naps if he falls asleep by my desk without an issue, I leave him be outside and he has been settling during the day outside the crate more often these days since we've been doing this schedule for weeks now). Then after 5:30 we do our evening stuff, we walk, socialize, train, hang out, play, play some more, he is generally ready to settle back down around 7:30 to 8 pm and will snooze around the house until we head to bed. We do teeth and brushing about 10:30 and in crate for sleep by 11 pm.

The schedule is what works for us. I work from home but I have to work (and am single so it's just us but I do try to create lots of social opportunities and he has been doing amazing there). He has to chill/nap while I work, though by now he is really good knowing when it's his time. He has also been sleeping through the night this last week so that makes me happy. And the amount of sleep seems to be what he needs, he gets cranky and bitey when tired.

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
96 Posts
We've FINALLY made progress on our x-pen tolerance. Apple is 13 weeks old now. I leave her in there with some good stuff and she ends up napping a lot of the time. I do my work at the table so I am nearby, but not RIGHT there with her. I think if you have your puppy confined they're more likely to settle and nap on their own because they aren't constantly following you to see what you're up to and checking out exciting corners of the house or the dust bunnies under the couch! I'd guess Apple is taking a good 4-5 snoozes a day and she sleeps all night loong too.

I've noticed that since getting her settled in the Xpen she's been MUCH less bitey crazy puppy and much more loving snuggly puppy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts