Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard references to different varieties of white poodles. I know creams generally clear to white, but I've also heard of an ice white that has no cream pigments. I assume this means they're white when born, without the cream/apricot ears. But I don't think I've ever seen a good example of this. Does anybody have good examples that would illustrate the difference? It sounds like they used to be more common than they are now.

Description of what I mean... POODLE COAT COLORS: WHITE & CREAM

They have a few photos on that site but not to the degree that I can really tell the difference.

Thank you

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
There is a good explanation here from this French breeder. You can use google translate to get an English version. (Scroll down to : « le caniche blanc »)

They have no pictures though.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a good explanation here from this French breeder. You can use google translate to get an English version. (Scroll down to : « le caniche blanc »)

They have no pictures though.

Thank you that is helpful, although reading through the rest of it further confuses me in regard to gray/blue poodles! The color genetics of poodles are fascinatingly complex.

It sounds like the ice whites differ mainly in skin pigmentation, though I don't know if they can still have cream ears as pups. It sounds like the ivory whites have been favored because they have better black points.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts