Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things I really wish my poodle would do is chew more. Bobby has never been much of a chewer and believe me, I have tried many things. He does chew on bully sticks but only before bed for about 5 or 10 minutes max. He will not chew any other time. He’s pretty much been like this for most of his life. I know, some would say I am lucky but it really would be a nice distraction sometimes. Chewing on something yummy would be so nice when company is over and he keeps doing naughty things for attention not to mention it would be good for his teeth and a great way to drain energy on a rainy day. 😉
What do you wish your poodle would do or not do?

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
I wish Beckie would not become a total maniac when she sees another dog on a walk. It is totally embarrassing and it makes me feel like a total idiot who can’t control their dog (which is true, I can’t, but it’s the only time I can’t...)

·
Premium Member
13,197 Posts
I wish Poppy would stop asking to go out each time she remembers about the possibility of tiny scraps of cat food dropping from the window sill, which can be every 10 minutes! And if I say know it turns out that was the time she wasgenuinely desperate for a pee...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can relate to a couple of these. I also wish Winnie would chew more. She too is not a chewer and although that is great in some ways it would be nice to distract her with chewing for longer than a few minutes. Winnie is a sock thief too and carries them around and leaves them for me to find so less of that would be good.

I do wish that on walks she wouldn't suddenly decide she missed a sniff and pull my arm out of its socket to go back and check it out.

I wish that when she is playing tug she wouldn't growl so loudly. We know she is playing and her tail is wagging and she only ever does it when playing tug but it can get quite loud.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I wish Mia would sleep through the night, but starting a few years ago, she developed a weird little routine in the middle of the night. She wakes up and licks her lips loudly enough to wake me, which I'm confident is the point. I reach out my arm and place it on her - her legs, her back, whatever body part I find. She licks my hand (sometimes quite a lot), then rolls over and falls back asleep.

You can see how this started: she woke up one night and I tried to soothe her, but now it's a ritual we do every night in the wee hours of the morning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wish Mia would sleep through the night, but starting a few years ago, she developed a weird little routine in the middle of the night. She wakes up and licks her lips loudly enough to wake me, which I'm confident is the point. I reach out my arm and place it on her - her legs, her back, whatever body part I find. She licks my hand (sometimes quite a lot), then rolls over and falls back asleep.

You can see how this started: she woke up one night and I tried to soothe her, but now it's a ritual we do every night in the wee hours of the morning.
Hah, I know this drill well.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Hah, I know this drill well.
Really? You have no idea what a relief it is to hear that she's not the only one. Early on I tried ignoring her, but she just licked louder (and may have pawed me, but I no longer remember). What I would give for a solid 8 hours. Have you been able to change the behavior at all?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
@Liz Any chance you have sleep apnea? Maybe she’s busy reminding you to breath while you’re deeply asleep? (I’m looking for a way that Mia is the hero here 😄)
I don't have sleep apnea, but I'm completely on board with this direction!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wish Violet would quit licking her feet.
[/QUOTE
Really? You have no idea what a relief it is to hear that she's not the only one. Early on I tried ignoring her, but she just licked louder (and may have pawed me, but I no longer remember). What I would give for a solid 8 hours. Have you been able to change the behavior at all?
No, Alf does it every night. I too would love to get 8 hours.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wish Topper would stop barking and crying when I leave his sight. I have just ignored the behavior in hopes that it would stop, but it hasn't worked yet. And I wish he accepted being in his ex-pen. And I wish that he would walk normally on slippery tile floors.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts