Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Violet was a puppy I promised my husband I would groom her with a fluffy face after she had a year or two of face shaving. I’m now making good on my promise. This is a picture I took of her today:
EA40088D-C96E-410B-B607-43BCC964B1EF.jpeg

I want to groom her head with shorter ears and a blended top knot. I’m not sure how to do the ears to make her look like this dog:
2663B996-EF09-4961-8FD9-D276505CDC22.jpeg

Any suggestions? Any good videos I should watch? Thanks in advance for your ideas.

It’s been interesting to experience the change in people’s reaction to her: she is getting a lot more cooing remarks at class and while on walks. I’m not sure how I feel about it. The fluffy face is cute but it’s harder for me to read her expression.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Sorry to be no help but what an adorable look for your inspiration!

Close but not quite. It may be called Mushroom style?

maybe?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh thank you, Rose! It helps to have a name for it, and mushroom is very descriptive. I guess I’m just going to have to get brave and trim her ear length for a start. I don’t have clunkers (? Those wide- tooth scissors) so maybe I might be beginning with a disadvantage. And it looks like I need to grow some more hair. I’ll post photos after my next groom.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Looking forward to the transformation :)

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
She does look very cute like that too! I think the look is just scissored round. Definitely grow the ears out more but also cut the length off. I know how you feel about the fuzzy face. I actually don't mind Misha in his terrier trim because I'm still shaving enough of his face to keep it expressive. The eyebrows actually exaggerate some expressions. I disliked when I let it all grow out because I could not tell expression well. I think that is why I dislike teddy bear cuts. It makes dogs look just like the namesake to me. Unreadable blank toys lol. But I think it is fun to try new clips. You may surprise yourself.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,695 Posts
I think keeping the eyes clear helps somewhat. Peggy becomes inscrutable when her fluff closes in there. But the lips are also so expressive...

In the absence of those facial expressions, maybe you’ll tune into Violet’s other body language more.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I think keeping the eyes clear helps somewhat. Peggy becomes inscrutable when her fluff closes in there. But the lips are also so expressive...

In the absence of those facial expressions, maybe you’ll tune into Violet’s other body language more.
I agree I prefer the Asian fusion look that still shaves around the eyes. I dislike the teddy bear cut most doodle owners go with because nothing can be seen of the face.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That head style is actually very similar to what a Bichon Frise head is supposed to look like, only it looks like they leave the ears a bit longer at the bottom (ie more obvious). Bichon ears are supposed to blend in so the head looks like a giant round fluff ball. I'll bet if you look up how to groom a Bichon head you'll get some more ideas on how to get that look, too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh thank you, Rose! It helps to have a name for it, and mushroom is very descriptive. I guess I’m just going to have to get brave and trim her ear length for a start. I don’t have clunkers (? Those wide- tooth scissors) so maybe I might be beginning with a disadvantage. And it looks like I need to grow some more hair. I’ll post photos after my next groom.
The bigger wide tooth shears are chunkers, or at least that's what i call them. I absolutely LOVE them for blending. I found a pair on amazon for $25 and my co-workers kept stealing them to use them lol. Thinning shears are the ones with smaller teeth, and tend to have more of them - i use them for smaller scale blending (like around the eyes or some pattern lines) and for breaking up matts.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@PeggyTheParti
In the absence of those facial expressions, maybe you'll tune into Violet's other body language more
Let's hope that is the case! Tangent ahead: One of the fun, relationship-building aspects of our time in Nosework is learning to read Violet's body language as she works a scent cone. Body language that is applicable outside the sport is information about when you have crowded your dog (and thus changing the next behavior they do, bad in NW) and recognizing when your dog is busy using their nose (air scenting is easier to miss than nose to the ground) to discover things in their environment. I think dogs spend way more time engaged in their smell superpower than us humans are aware of until we start learning their scenting body language. Now when I take her on dog walks and she is smelling all the things I have this new human activity to do: watching head turns and bracketing behaviors as she works through natural scent cones. It has added a whole new layer of patience on my part to our dog walks. This nosework experience reminds me of when I first took a microbiology class- the realization that all these things are going on outside my ability to easily see it!

@TK9NY @Raindrops thank you, I'll search using "asian fusion" and "bichon head" for more information on how to do the ears.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@TK9NY Your $25 chunkers sound good. Do you perhaps have a link to share?

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,695 Posts
@PeggyTheParti
Let's hope that is the case! Tangent ahead: One of the fun, relationship-building aspects of our time in Nosework is learning to read Violet's body language as she works a scent cone. Body language that is applicable outside the sport is information about when you have crowded your dog (and thus changing the next behavior they do, bad in NW) and recognizing when your dog is busy using their nose (air scenting is easier to miss than nose to the ground) to discover things in their environment. I think dogs spend way more time engaged in their smell superpower than us humans are aware of until we start learning their scenting body language. Now when I take her on dog walks and she is smelling all the things I have this new human activity to do: watching head turns and bracketing behaviors as she works through natural scent cones. It has added a whole new layer of patience on my part to our dog walks. This nosework experience reminds me of when I first took a microbiology class- the realization that all these things are going on outside my ability to easily see it!
Love this. And a timely tangent as our trainer just asked if we’d like to join a nose work class!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry to be no help but what an adorable look for your inspiration!

Close but not quite. It may be called Mushroom style?

maybe?
I would like to second the YouTube channel you linked, Shu and Tree! I LOVE this channel and sometimes just watch it for cute dogs in bubble baths

There’s also GroomerTV on YouTube you might check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@TK9NY Nice! They even have a pair that come in the color “violet”. Think I’m set, thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts