Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to see 2 spoos at a foster home of the North Texas Poodle Rescue. Very exciting! One of the volunteers (who also happens to be a dog trainer) found us 2 that were on the smaller side. Both are house trained.

Bear is a 2 yo black spoo with a homemade groom. He was very, very sad about being a rescue dog. He was depressed when we saw him but oh, so sweet. He is about 40-45 lbs. He was rescued at 1 and lived with a family. The family fell apart and lost everything (including their home) so he had to go back to the rescue a year later.

Chelle is a 1 yo chocolate who was beautiful. He is a happy puppy and very anxious to please. He answers to (Kelly) (pronunciation of Chelle?). He is so sweet and playful. He is very thin. He was living with a woman who had cancer and passed away. The volunteers don't think he'll get much taller but he needs to fill out. He'll probably be between 40-45 lbs (unless he has another growth spurt). Chelle is somewhat crate trained.

My son (4 yo) and I both really liked Bear although Chelle is a much more beautiful dog. We liked that Bear was very, very calm. The reality, though, is that he's not necessarily calm, he's depressed. He may be calm but we can't know that until he's been in a home situation for several weeks.

My husband really liked Chelle because what you see is what you get. He played great with my son which is a big plus. My son really had a good time with him. They played chase and Chelle never even nipped at him or jumped on him. Chelle jumped on DH and me just once but after being told no, he stopped. When I asked, both volunteers thought that Chelle would be the best match for us. I thought so, too, even though I really liked Bear's subdued demeanor.

We decided on Chelle and are planning to go get Chelle tomorrow so we can get a crate and a small gate to keep him from escaping from under the gate at our driveway.

I'm very excited and want to get him but am glad we didn't bring him home with us. We had a big loud storm last night and I don't want him to be scared here on his first night.

My only aprehension is Chelle's outgoing puppy nature. I already have a busy boy in the house. I'm about to have 2! Hopefully he will settle down once he is older.

Feel free to give me advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
646 Posts
The only advice I would have is why not bring home 2 LOL
Its going to happen eventually anyways I don't think I know anyone with one spoo who isn't planning another

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:(
We went to pick up Chelle and he had diarrhea so they decided to keep him at the foster home for a few more days until he gets better. I'm sad we don't have him yet but really glad we aren't cleaning up dog poop the minute we walk in the door with him. They said he started about 20 min. before we picked him up. His foster mom had a rough day. She had to take her husband to the hospital and it was crazy, crazy at her house. They are thinking he picked up on the tension and it upset his stomach.

Also while we were there, my ds was feeding him treats (that didn't seem like a good idea with an upset stomach, but the foster mom was doing this) and Chelle was trying to receive the treat and nipped ds' finger which made him cry.

It was all kinds of crazy, so the leader of the rescue said she would bring us the dog later in the week when he's all better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts