Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple of weeks - i keep telling my husband i think there's something wrong with winston's left leg. When he's sitting - sometimes his left leg bends in a real weird way. His leg bends at his elbow and forms a stair like position _
l_

thats the best way i can explain it. It looks really weird - we have an appt coming up in 3 weeks to discuss his neuter, belly button surg and microship . I figure i'll ask the vet about his leg then

I hope my boy is okay :arrogant (2):

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Might you have a picture of this?? Does he ever appear to be in pain or unwilling to walk, run, jump? I don't have any thoughts unless I could see what you are talking about...

Good luck at the vets!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no pictures..every time he does it - i'm like darn i wish i had a camera

He's walking, running, jumping fine

·
Registered
575 Posts
sounds like it could be Panosteitis, which affects (for the most part) large breed puppies normally between about 3 months and a year of age. Diet is a contributing factor, calcium/phosphorus ratio of the food, as well as the rate in which the puppy grows. That is why it's important to make sure that your puppy doesn't get to many calories that could promote rapid growth. It's better for a puppy to grow slowly and steadily. Infections and genetics are also suspect.

you can always check the merchvetmanual.com it's a great resource.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you talked with your vet to see what he/she thinks. I would just make sure it will be ok to wait until your appointment.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you fluffyspoos

His leg doesn't move into that stair step position all the time. I sometimes notice it when he is sitting - kind of like his knee or something is coming out of place. I'm gonna think of a better way to explain it

He shows no sign of pain -he is walking, running, jumping, playing etc with no problems

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thank you fluffyspoos

His leg doesn't move into that stair step position all the time. I sometimes notice it when he is sitting - kind of like his knee or something is coming out of place. I'm gonna think of a better way to explain it

He shows no sign of pain -he is walking, running, jumping, playing etc with no problems
Is it his front leg or back leg?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Dogs are very stoic. Often you never know they are in pain until it is excruciating. An elbow out position signals chest pain, anything from pnuemonia- pleurisy- heart problems, or the joint itself. It's not unheard of to have degeneration in the elbow joint. If you are getting him neutered, have them xray they area while he is there.
Carole

1 - 13 of 13 Posts