Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy was up at 1am, 2am and 6am the night before last, no diarrhoea just needing to pee and poo. Yesterday she was fine all day, but was restless in the evening - I took her out several times to no avail. Then around 9pm there was a sudden scrabbling scrambling sound as she ran upstairs and just made it to the emergency mat in the bathroom - very unusual for her, as she always tells me when she needs to go out even when she is desperate. Poor love was very off colour, even after a dose of digestive paste and metronidazole, and was uncomfortable and not herself at bedtime. The only way she would settle was tucked in against me in such a way that I couldn't move my arm, and the elbow I bashed a couple of weeks ago started shrieking to remind me that playing sports is not the only way to develop tennis elbow!

She was up and down several times, drank water, didn't want to go out, had a tummy ache, didn't know what to do with herself - I am sure you have all been there, but as this was just how her severe illness from the liver failure started my own anxiety levels were really beginning to ramp up. Somewhere around 4am we all get settled, and she woke up bouncy and hungry, but as usual it is taking me rather longer to recover! I see a rare daytime snooze on the horizon...

·
Premium Member
13,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Half way through the day, a reasonable poo early on, two meals gobbled up, and two short walks (1.5 miles altogether), and she is generally perky and cheerful again, so I too am hoping it was just a blip. She has done so well since those dark days in January - I know we are on borrowed time, and I think I am prepared, but know I am not really. But for now we will go on enjoying each day as it comes, and being grateful I am retired, and can take the occasional afternoon nap when needed!

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
I am happy Poppy got better fast ! Now watch a good movie with your furry friends and rest... :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
oh poor Poppy. My mum is in a similar situation, her yorkie just had surgery to fix luxating patella in one knee. He is a bit of a dramaqueen at the best of times and he has been up crying in the night. My mum says that it has been like having a baby again.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I so hope that Poppy is doing better - and you, too! Get a nice nap and perhaps you'll feel better. It is so very hard to cope with a beloved dog who is ailing. My best to both of you.

Johanna

·
Premium Member
13,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A long snooze seems to have put us all to rights - here's hoping Poppy doesn't have a relapse tonight.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,782 Posts
Hoping for a peaceful night for you all. And what a good girl Poppy is, racing to her toilet like that, even when she's feeling so ill. She earned those cuddles.

·
Premium Member
13,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last pee trip 9pm, bed 9.30pm, and all slept till 7am, Hurrah! Near perfect poo from Poppy first thing this morning, which is always a cause for celebration these days, and I am feeling decidedly better. When I think that once upon a time I could stay up talking till 3 or 4 in the morning and still make a 9.15am lecture, and then do it again the next day and the next... I suppose nearly 50 years does make a difference. Not least that one comes to the point of celebrating Perfect Poos!

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Excellent news she and you are back to normal.

Reactions: fjm

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Glad that Poppy is doing so much better. Cuddles are in order.

Reactions: fjm
1 - 15 of 15 Posts