Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m waiting for the grooming arm and loop to get here tomorrow. And... I decided not to get that great little rotating table yet as I want to make sure I’ll keep doing this at home. Other than that, here is what I have...

Oster A5 clippers
#30, 10 and 7FC blades
Stainless steel combs for other lengths
3 pairs of scissors, all straight, 1 with micro-perf (Do I need a curved scissor?)
Blade Care
Cushioned mat (easy to clean) for table top
Combs
Comb for tear stains

Oh, and I have a blade storage box, holds 4.
What else might I need? Do I have more than enough to start? I read on the forum and made my list lol.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I didn't see a high velocity dryer on your list.

Try to find clothes that shed hair easily when grooming - the worst is clothes that attract and trap the hair - sweaters, some t shirt material etc. Even socks - stepping on hair wearing wool socks always means I have to take the vacuum to my socks. I have wood floors where I groom so it's easy to vacuum clean. If you have carpet you might consider something safe to walk on that is easy to sweep clean.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did forget to say I chose not to get a dryer right now. I know a groomer who will bathe each dog when I’m ready to groom them, separate times of course, and fluff dry them for $10 each. I watched some videos on drying poodles and honestly it looks like more than I can do between that and the bathing. At least the grooming I can spread out over a couple days or so.

I didn’t even think about clothes when grooming lol! But I have a long stylist cape. Can’t remember why I bought it but I have it. Thank you so much for telling me about that!!

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Definitely don't wear fleece when grooming, unless you also want to be wearing poodle fluff forever! I use tiny elastic hair scrunchies to hold Poppy's ears out of the way while I clip her face - easier and comfier than rubber bands. And I have a pair of small ball-ended scissors for inside ears that have also proved very useful for feet - Pop hates the feel of the clipper on her toes!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely don't wear fleece when grooming, unless you also want to be wearing poodle fluff forever! I use tiny elastic hair scrunchies to hold Poppy's ears out of the way while I clip her face - easier and comfier than rubber bands. And I have a pair of small ball-ended scissors for inside ears that have also proved very useful for feet - Pop hates the feel of the clipper on her toes!
Thanks for the idea ball-ended scissors and the scrunchies! I have the small bands but they are kind of hard on his hair. And I did order round tip scissors - are they the same thing? I'll have to do some hunting on amazon tonight.

If you grow a TK you will want bands & a rattail comb for making the pony tail.
Never thought about a rattail comb! I do have the bands, and so far only band just up and between his eyes so he can see. Thanks for bringing these up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts