Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading KPoos thread got me worried about Atticus' weight. You can feel every bone in his body, he eats about 1/4 cup of food a day, sometimes less. I put a 1/4 scoop in his bowl and what he doesnt eat I put in a zip lock baggy and give for dinner and add a little more if it doesnt look like enough but he doesnt even finish that. Maybe he doesnt like his food? He's eating Royal Canin. His last vet appointment he weighed exactly 2 pounds at 15 weeks. So he is probably a little heavier now, he seems way bigger (17 weeks now). How can I put weight on him? We do some training every day and he gets some treats also (cheerios). I dont really know what to do, I've already changed his food twice because I thought that might be it, but he wont eat any kind of food except our other dogs food which is prescription diet so he cant really have that. He's been to the vet a couple times and they dont see anything wrong with him (I get free vet visits thank god). Any ideas?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Poodles in general are pretty lean. I've been trying to get mine to get a little meat on them to no avail. Tsuki (7 lbs) gets 3/4 cup and Lincoln (13 lbs) gets a cup and they are skin, muscle, and bone. LOL

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Are you feeding him only dry kibble? I found that Teddy was a lot more responsive to wet food, although it took a few tries to find out exactly what he liked and didn't like. He's now eating Wellness Core canned mixed with a little bit of Wellness puppy kibble and he cleans his bowl every time. That wasn't true a few weeks ago.

He was always interested in the cat's food, however, and the vet said that it's because cat food has a higher fat content, so it tastes really yummy to dogs (that's also why they sometimes eat cat poo, btw). The poor cat had to learn not to eat half his food and then walk away, because when he came back to finish it, the bowl was licked clean. :doh:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well, you have a toy so are you feeding a small breed or toy food? When they have to work too hard at their kibble sometimes they just stop eating it. Ask your vet what's acceptable and then try to be okay with it. I know it's hard because Harry was 46 pounds during the summer and the vet said it was fine but I felt he was too thin. I think we worry about them like moms worry about kids. I know I had very similar feelings when my 2 older boys were younger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts