Poodle Forum banner

I think Evra has the flu

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  curlflooffan 
#1 ·
Evra is not quite herself. She is not lethargic but her energy is a bit down. She is doing what I think are little coughs more and more frequently and a bit of sneezing as well.

She is uncomfortable but not so much that it makes me panic.

Debating with myself whether to take her to the vet or wait and see if she rides it out on her own.

#4 ·
That's my guess too. It is possible, she has met other dogs but I don't know their owners so I can't know if they have been sick. The symptoms are still so minor that I am questioning my judgement. Like am I just being overly dramatic or is she ill?? you know?

But I should put this on my puppy class whatsapp group shouldn't I? I don't want to panic anyone and she developed the symptoms around a week after the class. Do you know when they get infectious?

#7 ·
More than the occasional cough is not normal puppy behaviour and cannot be assessed here. I would be calling your vet and describing what you’re seeing/hearing. They will determine whether or not she needs a check-up.

#9 ·
definitely not normal but I am not going to run to the vet because of one day of sneezing just like I don't go to the doctor because I have a cold. I am going to keep monitoring her and then make a judgement call on whether its time for a check up.

If its viral then I am not too worried. She is young but not too young. Odds are she will ride it out without a problem and I just hope we can avoid antibiotics as I don't like to use them without very good cause.

The more anxious part of me thinks 'oh no! what if its an enlarged heart or a tumor' but I also thought she had a stroke when she just had a beesting sooo....

Again her symptoms are very mild, she is ill but in no immediate danger.

#12 ·
Not from humans, she is still working on her confidence with other people. Of course if it can be transmitted from dog to dog then she could have caught it just like she could have cought kennel cough.

@PeggyTheParti yes you are right. I am sorry. A phone consultation would be a good idea. I will check if thats an option tomorrow. If it is a kennel cough it might also be good to keep her away from the clinic. I am confident that she can fight it with ease (knock on wood). But do I want to bring a highly infectious but otherwise healthy dog into a clinic where there might be elderly dogs or dogs with cancer who can't fight it as easily?

Ingestion of something dangerous I am not worried about because her digestive system is working perfectly. Firm poops and no vomiting. She is not salivating abnormally. No sign of pain. Tummy normal, no bloating. She is eating ok.

#15 ·
Update: she was very naughty this morning so thats good! Morning potty normal. A little bit of coughing still.

Ive decided to message my puppyclass even though I havent confirmed kennel cough. They have the right to know that I suspect that Evra might have been infectious.

#16 ·
Another update: I called the vet. Its officially doggy flu season in Brussels!

They have seen an increase in cases in the past weeks.

He couldnt give a diagnosis over the phone of course but agreed that from the description of her symptoms she is in no urgent need of medical intervention. He was happy for us to keep monitoring and told us to bring her in if the coughing gets worse, wakes her up in the night or she stops eating.

He said that the fact she is vaccinated is probably the reason why her symptoms are so mild and this also increases the likelihood that they will stay mild.

She was doing weird things with her mouth which concerned me more than the cough. Because that doesnt fit with the kennel cough. I was almost going to bring her in for that reason but then she started doing it intensely for a few minutes and then a baby tooth fell out her mouth. Then she stopped.

So teething and mild kennel cough is the most likely diagnosis!

And the vet thanked me for thinking of the other dogs in the clinic before bringing Evra in. Naturally if she needs to be seen she needs to seen but as she is healthy, young and vaccinated there is no urgency at this moment.

We will continue to monitor her. I am also mixing more water with her food than usual to trick her into staying hydrated as well as keeping the temp in the apartment a little higher.

I should have bought her some more clothes. Something soft and warm to keep her warm. She only has rainclothes (and she hates them)...

Perhaps the local pet store has something otherwise I have to put my faith in amazon prime.

#18 ·
Baby teeth falling out is a fun.

Don't worry if you see a little blood, it's normal, same thing happens to human children sometimes.

We paused playing tug for a few weeks while they fell out, and made sure she had plenty of options to chew.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Gesture Finger Whiskers Fawn Nail

Edit: not sure why it's 18+ing me, it's just a picture of Basil's mouth with half her baby teeth missing.

#19 ·
@Basil_the_Spoo poor basil is so cute that he is NSFW 😂

I was very glad to see her lose a tooth. Both because it meant her weird mouth thing was nothing to worry about and also because retained babyteeth are a risk for small poodles. So lets hope for more falling teeth!

Its best to just snuggle with mommy when you are ill. I had a long day at work so I think Evra and I are just going to spend our evening snuggling and recovering together.
Wool Woolen Pattern Creative arts Rock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.