Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I rescued a human today.

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels.

I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid. As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view
from a little accident I had in the back of my cage.

I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life.

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up
against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.

I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors.

So many more to be saved.

At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today."

I saw this posted and I thought it was amazing..I know some of you have probably seen it other places, but it still really makes one think!

I can't get through reading it silently without tearing up!

Kiss your poos (and others with or without 4 legs) and be glad they have a loving home this season!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree

Having never seen this, I, too, am tearing up. Dogs don't ask for much, and they give their whole selves back. MY husband & I have had the pleasure of being rescued 5 times!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Oh thats so cute and sad...Im teary eyed.

Its very weird because a few weeks ago I came across a litter of Spoo pups about 1 1/2 hrs from my house. She was asking 2000.00 firm on these babies. The father is a dual Ch AKC/UKC and the mother has her obedience title and working dog tiltes Etc. The parents are health tested down to everything and the puppies are georgeous!!!

So due to finances I couldn't get one. Then yesterday I decided to look and see is her add was still listed and it was for 1500.00 now. She only has two males left, a beautiful creme (I fell in love with) and a black. I tried so hard to get the money together but my efforts failed and I was very sad.

Anyhow, last night my husband and I are watching dog town and most of the commercial's are about adopting and saving dogs... It really makes you think. Then this morning the first post I read is about are new member (lily's mom) and her story then I click on to this one. Now Im like maybe all this is a sign....I was really surprised my efforts failed yesterday and possibly if I add another dog it should be a rescue.

I have to wonder if my family is pulling one over on me until Christmas though. I don't normally ask to borrow but when I do, they always know Im good for it. I was pretty stumped when my attemps failed. Ecspecially when my mom loved that puppy too. Hmmmm.....now that I think about this, I wonder.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will keep my fingers crossed for you Secreto! Hopefully your family has a surprise "rescuer" for you!

I had never seen it before either, but it painted such a good picture in my mind I had to share it! I have been reading it whenever I feel a bit blue!

·
Registered
627 Posts
That is a sweet poem. I find myself torn between wanting to save a dog in a shelter and getting a dog from a well researched breeder. Mixed breed vs. purebred. On one hand I love the idea of giving a home to a shelter dog. Another part of me says that other people's bad decisions don't have to become my problems. (not that that is always the case) When we got our collies, we knew we would have a baby in the house one day and wanted a dog that I would have confidence in.

I picked a breed that is known for gentleness and found a breeder that carefully selected for personality as well as conformation. She cared enough about her puppies that we were being interviewed for her to allow us to buy one. The contract stated that we would keep in touch once a year to let her know how they were. If we ever, for any reason could not keep the dogs, she had the right to them. With both dogs, we got exactly what we hoped for.

When we decided to get another dog (Max), we stuck with the same plan, and again got all we wanted and more. I guess as long as our son is young and we live in a neighborhood full of kids we will stick with purebred from the best breeders we can find. I'm glad so many people chose to adopt. I wish so many people didn't breed indiscriminately, I wish people were more responsible with their animals...

No right or wrong answer. It's just what's right for us at this point. Someday I might walk those aisles and get saved by a dog in a shelter somewhere.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curly...I think you are correct in doing what is best for your whole family!

I don't think the poem is just about shelters, at least to me...I think that is just a great way to show that adoption is at least an option. Not every dog fits in any family, but it nice if you can at least keep adopting in mind and not set yourself into MUST GET papered purebred mode.

Some of ours are from breeders, but most are from rescues...but all are loved and love back with all they have in them.

I have met both great breeders, and great rescue people...the good ones want what is best for the animal, so if your family isn't right for that animal..they should tell you, unless of course they honestly have no idea about hidden tendencies that might pop up later. Any good rescue or breeder MAKES you sign a contract that if you cannot keep the animal for any reason, it comes back to them because of things like that!

I have found that some of the rescues always seem to keep that thankful look in their eye...they tend to be a little clingy at first to me, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

It has been years since I have walked the corridors myself...but it hasn't been long since I walked into a room of poos screaming that they were my savior.

Only about 2 months ago I got a call about a selling out toy/mini poo breeder who was getting ready to take the dogs to ONE OF THOSE auctions...I told my hubby I was driving up to look.

Before I left I stuck some old crates we had in the garage into the car...I was supposed to come back with 1 dog at the most. Well I had 3 crates so I came home with 3 dogs...Dolly, Ginger, and Happy.

Happy being a young puppy found a new home within a couple of weeks after I made them fill out an adoption form, took down their drivers license number, then made them sign a contract that if Happy didn't work out he came back to me.

I had to take them all to get their shots, worming, flea meds, ect...his adoption fee was $50 to cover his portion of the bill.

Now...I don't get any assistance for rescue, I don't do it actively...but if a situation falls into my lap and I just get this "feeling" then I will make a call or go and look.

All the breeders of poodles here in Indiana are aware of each other...and some of us look out for each other. One breeder had gotten the call about the lady taking them to auction (she offered to sell her a few I guess) and she knows I am a softie so she called me.

Imagine our surprise when Dolly turned out to be our parti-color girl Peanut's littermate, and our parti-color girl Heidi's daughter (Heidi had one litter before we bought her, we got Peanut as a 10 week old puppy BEFORE we got Heidi)...and how glad I was I didn't leave my dogs sister at that home where she would be living in another cage, and now probably pregnant. We had no idea until we looked at Dolly's paperwork and saw our girl Heidi's name as the mother...we were like what the heck? Then we looked at the birthdate...she was Peanut's sister from the same litter!

We couldn't believe it, I actually got a bit sick to my stomach...I had almost left her there and took another puppy instead. When I went to look, she was in heat (and I didn't want to deal with my Shippo trying to breed with her) and she had that this look in her eye like she was just WILD!

I took her because I knew she would be bought for a breeder (she is a black/white parti-color) and being as she was in heat I knew her chances for becoming an victim of a puppymill were even better.

I thought to myself, "well if you don't take her...well you know where she will end up and it won't be sleeping in a bed at night and chasing a ball during the day."

She was so wild (she SCREAMED from inside her cage the whole time) that I had the lady take her out and put her in the crate...the other 2 I carried myself out to the car, then put them in crates.

The lady said she had NEVER seen her act like that before...she was normally very quiet and kept to herself.

When I got her home I took the crate in the bathroom and opened the door...she just looked at me with these forlorn eyes. I reached my hand out to her and she sniffed it...I thought she was going to jump back, instead she jumped forward into my lap.

I didn't know who she was at this point, just that she was a dog that needed me...not that she was related to my guys.

When I looked at her paperwork I about DIED!

When we went to look at Peanut's litter (Peanut is about 3 yrs old now), we had a choice between 2 female puppies...Peanut (cream/white parti-color) who was called Bridget at the time, and this little black/white girl.

As we sat there trying to decide which puppy to put a deposit on...the breeder excused herself for a minute to answer a phone call. While we looked at the puppies we talked to the breeders room mate and waited to tell her which one we both wanted...the more fiesty black/white girl.

A lady called and told her that she wanted to put a deposit down on a black/white puppy female. As we sat there falling in love with the black and white with our deposit money in our pocket...she bought the black/white puppy right out from under us with a credit card over the phone.

She came back into the room, and picked up OUR DOG and said she was sold. We were both sad, but Peanut was just as cute and we didn't care about what color sold best so we put out deposit down. She was a bit calmer than her sister which I guess may have been better anyway, since we did have 2 sons and planned on more.

So when she hit 10 weeks old we went and picked Peanut up...I asked about the black/white girl to see if she had went ahead and paid her off and picked up. The breeder said she had about 1 week earlier...we wouldn't take Peanut until she was 10 weeks old, to make sure she was ready to leave. She came to us at 28 oz and weighs 7.5 lbs today and is a ball chasing nut ball.

I never was able to shake the black/white pup that the breeder had called Dolly out of my mind totally, but with having a new baby and our own dogs...she gradually slipped from my mind!

When I went and picked Dolly up I guess I was so in shock (the woman had 10 large sized cages with 1-3 poos in each one, so it was hard to even think) that I didn't realize that the poor girl looked so wild becuase she had waited so long for me to come and get her! She had picked us out at 6 weeks old, only to be forced to go live with someone else because they could charge her on a credit card...but of course dogs don't understand those things.

She may not have even remembered me, just thought I looked like a good soul and if she wanted out of hell she better speak up as loud as she could!

I didn't know she was the puppy from 2 yrs earlier, she looked nothing like Peanut and nothing like the 6 week old puppy I had seen. I never imagined she was the same dog although they had the same name.

oh lord Im crying now

She had been stuck in that cage for almost 2 yrs when she could have been chasing a ball with her sissy and mother. The breeder only let the dogs out for 10 minutes 3 times a day...but with all the poop in the cages I am sure she was just telling me that. I doubt they got to come out except for once a week or so for cage cleaning.

Needless to say she hasn't been in a crate very much since. I had to crate her and Ginger together at first to eat, but then it turned out Ginger had food aggression and Dolly didn't.

Now Dolly is learning to play...and be a dog. I have been blessed that she and Ginger have turned out so well around my kids, so far...but I don't foresee any problems as neither is a very dominant anymore.

I am very glad I took the call and made the drive...I know that Dolly is going to stay here, and well Ginger is getting pretty attached to John so looks like she may have found her forever home as well.

Ginger came shaved to the skin all over, and these sores all over the edges of her ears. I took her to the vet and he said either the fleas were so bad on her (sores were full of flea poop) that it had made these large wounds OR last time she was shaved down someone may have cut into the ear leather...but they are healed now and they are both growing their hair back. Dolly had a bit of hair on her ears that was about 2 inches long, but poor Ginger didn't even have that.

Here are some pics I took of the 3...I didn't take before shots...they were so nasty dirty I took them out of the crates right to the bath tub.

These pics are from before Happy left, so you can see how short the girls hair was...Happy had never had a hair cut so her was one big matted 4 month old mess.

I made him look great for what I had to begin with! I think we have had the girls for almost 2 months now...but they are so different from when they came.

I am glad I get to make the journey with them to becoming a real playing, interactive part of the family. If the time comes that Ginger finds someone she needs to rescue, then I will let her go...but not without everything short of a blood sample to ensure she will be taken care of!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
"I rescued a human today.

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels.

I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid. As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view
from a little accident I had in the back of my cage.

I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life.

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up
against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.

I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors.

So many more to be saved.

At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today."

I saw this posted and I thought it was amazing..I know some of you have probably seen it other places, but it still really makes one think!

I can't get through reading it silently without tearing up!

Kiss your poos (and others with or without 4 legs) and be glad they have a loving home this season!
Oh what a dear poem. It makes me think of when we rescued Teddy. We went to see another dog that I saw on Petfinder - a parti poodle - but she wouldn't even come and say hello. And then, off to my side was this little brown standard pup with his big eyes just looking at us ..and my daughter and I thought at the same time - maybe its him. and it was. And though It was a rough first year, he is settling down and look how beatiful he is - even a different color!:high5:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Curly...I think you are correct in doing what is best for your whole family!

I don't think the poem is just about shelters, at least to me...I think that is just a great way to show that adoption is at least an option. Not every dog fits in any family, but it nice if you can at least keep adopting in mind and not set yourself into MUST GET papered purebred mode.

Some of ours are from breeders, but most are from rescues...but all are loved and love back with all they have in them.

I have met both great breeders, and great rescue people...the good ones want what is best for the animal, so if your family isn't right for that animal..they should tell you, unless of course they honestly have no idea about hidden tendencies that might pop up later. Any good rescue or breeder MAKES you sign a contract that if you cannot keep the animal for any reason, it comes back to them because of things like that!

I have found that some of the rescues always seem to keep that thankful look in their eye...they tend to be a little clingy at first to me, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

It has been years since I have walked the corridors myself...but it hasn't been long since I walked into a room of poos screaming that they were my savior.

Only about 2 months ago I got a call about a selling out toy/mini poo breeder who was getting ready to take the dogs to ONE OF THOSE auctions...I told my hubby I was driving up to look.

Before I left I stuck some old crates we had in the garage into the car...I was supposed to come back with 1 dog at the most. Well I had 3 crates so I came home with 3 dogs...Dolly, Ginger, and Happy.

Happy being a young puppy found a new home within a couple of weeks after I made them fill out an adoption form, took down their drivers license number, then made them sign a contract that if Happy didn't work out he came back to me.

I had to take them all to get their shots, worming, flea meds, ect...his adoption fee was $50 to cover his portion of the bill.

Now...I don't get any assistance for rescue, I don't do it actively...but if a situation falls into my lap and I just get this "feeling" then I will make a call or go and look.

All the breeders of poodles here in Indiana are aware of each other...and some of us look out for each other. One breeder had gotten the call about the lady taking them to auction (she offered to sell her a few I guess) and she knows I am a softie so she called me.

Imagine our surprise when Dolly turned out to be our parti-color girl Peanut's littermate, and our parti-color girl Heidi's daughter (Heidi had one litter before we bought her, we got Peanut as a 10 week old puppy BEFORE we got Heidi)...and how glad I was I didn't leave my dogs sister at that home where she would be living in another cage, and now probably pregnant. We had no idea until we looked at Dolly's paperwork and saw our girl Heidi's name as the mother...we were like what the heck? Then we looked at the birthdate...she was Peanut's sister from the same litter!

We couldn't believe it, I actually got a bit sick to my stomach...I had almost left her there and took another puppy instead. When I went to look, she was in heat (and I didn't want to deal with my Shippo trying to breed with her) and she had that this look in her eye like she was just WILD!

I took her because I knew she would be bought for a breeder (she is a black/white parti-color) and being as she was in heat I knew her chances for becoming an victim of a puppymill were even better.

I thought to myself, "well if you don't take her...well you know where she will end up and it won't be sleeping in a bed at night and chasing a ball during the day."

She was so wild (she SCREAMED from inside her cage the whole time) that I had the lady take her out and put her in the crate...the other 2 I carried myself out to the car, then put them in crates.

The lady said she had NEVER seen her act like that before...she was normally very quiet and kept to herself.

When I got her home I took the crate in the bathroom and opened the door...she just looked at me with these forlorn eyes. I reached my hand out to her and she sniffed it...I thought she was going to jump back, instead she jumped forward into my lap.

I didn't know who she was at this point, just that she was a dog that needed me...not that she was related to my guys.

When I looked at her paperwork I about DIED!

When we went to look at Peanut's litter (Peanut is about 3 yrs old now), we had a choice between 2 female puppies...Peanut (cream/white parti-color) who was called Bridget at the time, and this little black/white girl.

As we sat there trying to decide which puppy to put a deposit on...the breeder excused herself for a minute to answer a phone call. While we looked at the puppies we talked to the breeders room mate and waited to tell her which one we both wanted...the more fiesty black/white girl.

A lady called and told her that she wanted to put a deposit down on a black/white puppy female. As we sat there falling in love with the black and white with our deposit money in our pocket...she bought the black/white puppy right out from under us with a credit card over the phone.

She came back into the room, and picked up OUR DOG and said she was sold. We were both sad, but Peanut was just as cute and we didn't care about what color sold best so we put out deposit down. She was a bit calmer than her sister which I guess may have been better anyway, since we did have 2 sons and planned on more.

So when she hit 10 weeks old we went and picked Peanut up...I asked about the black/white girl to see if she had went ahead and paid her off and picked up. The breeder said she had about 1 week earlier...we wouldn't take Peanut until she was 10 weeks old, to make sure she was ready to leave. She came to us at 28 oz and weighs 7.5 lbs today and is a ball chasing nut ball.

I never was able to shake the black/white pup that the breeder had called Dolly out of my mind totally, but with having a new baby and our own dogs...she gradually slipped from my mind!

When I went and picked Dolly up I guess I was so in shock (the woman had 10 large sized cages with 1-3 poos in each one, so it was hard to even think) that I didn't realize that the poor girl looked so wild becuase she had waited so long for me to come and get her! She had picked us out at 6 weeks old, only to be forced to go live with someone else because they could charge her on a credit card...but of course dogs don't understand those things.

She may not have even remembered me, just thought I looked like a good soul and if she wanted out of hell she better speak up as loud as she could!

I didn't know she was the puppy from 2 yrs earlier, she looked nothing like Peanut and nothing like the 6 week old puppy I had seen. I never imagined she was the same dog although they had the same name.

oh lord Im crying now

She had been stuck in that cage for almost 2 yrs when she could have been chasing a ball with her sissy and mother. The breeder only let the dogs out for 10 minutes 3 times a day...but with all the poop in the cages I am sure she was just telling me that. I doubt they got to come out except for once a week or so for cage cleaning.

Needless to say she hasn't been in a crate very much since. I had to crate her and Ginger together at first to eat, but then it turned out Ginger had food aggression and Dolly didn't.

Now Dolly is learning to play...and be a dog. I have been blessed that she and Ginger have turned out so well around my kids, so far...but I don't foresee any problems as neither is a very dominant anymore.

I am very glad I took the call and made the drive...I know that Dolly is going to stay here, and well Ginger is getting pretty attached to John so looks like she may have found her forever home as well.

Ginger came shaved to the skin all over, and these sores all over the edges of her ears. I took her to the vet and he said either the fleas were so bad on her (sores were full of flea poop) that it had made these large wounds OR last time she was shaved down someone may have cut into the ear leather...but they are healed now and they are both growing their hair back. Dolly had a bit of hair on her ears that was about 2 inches long, but poor Ginger didn't even have that.

Here are some pics I took of the 3...I didn't take before shots...they were so nasty dirty I took them out of the crates right to the bath tub.

These pics are from before Happy left, so you can see how short the girls hair was...Happy had never had a hair cut so her was one big matted 4 month old mess.

I made him look great for what I had to begin with! I think we have had the girls for almost 2 months now...but they are so different from when they came.

I am glad I get to make the journey with them to becoming a real playing, interactive part of the family. If the time comes that Ginger finds someone she needs to rescue, then I will let her go...but not without everything short of a blood sample to ensure she will be taken care of!
Oh my goodness!!! Your story has me balling my eyes out!!! How very sad and happy at the same time.
Bless you for making that drive. Her little soul must have been crying out to yours.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh Dolly is just such, well a DOLL! She is never more than about 4 foot from me, unless I go to the bathroom! The first week we had her she only got off the couch when I picked her up and took her outside to potty. Now she will go chase a ball or get some food or a drink then come right back...in the past couple of weeks she has been playing with the others a bit more. Which is a lot better than snapping at every other dog (but Ginger) that got near her!

I noticed when she first got here she had this terrified look in her eyes...you can see it in pics. Now it has softened to just pure LOVE and neediness...her eyes just beg you to pet her. I think she will be a great little poodle after she figures out how dogs are supposed to act!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
poor little thing! I'm so glad you rescued her! these puppy mills should be shut down - just using the dogs that way and keeping them caged makes me so upset!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will post new piccys of Dolly and Ginger once they have more hair and are more calm about having their piccys taken. I am sure it will be hard to tell Ginger is the same dog, but Dolly will be easy to identify because of her colors!
I bet that she will look tons better too....her top knot is about 2 inches long now anyhow.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So glad to hear Dolly is doing so much better. Bless you for rescuing the two of them. I will be watching for new pictures. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it only me?? I just get so very angry when I hear about mistreated animals - dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, wolves and on and on - I'm not fussy. It's like mistreated children - so trusting. (Well, maybe not all are so trusting) Although our "Babi" came from a shelter raid on Puppy Mills, he is wonderful. BRingin him home, I thought to myself - "What did I get myself into!!" The shelter advised us that puppy mill dogs were unsocialized, not potty trained and not leash trained. Our baby came to us with brown paw pads (guess what that was!) and shaved. He'd also just been neutered by the shelter - he's 5 years old. Well - he walks like a gentleman on a leash, is pretty much potty trained and loves, loves other dogs and people. He has a micro-chip - we tried to track the owner but with no luck. He snarls once in a while - I snarled back and that gave him something to think about! He tried it with me once again and I did the hold his muzzle and make eye contact, technique. Will let you know if he ever snarls again. And he loves me so much - . He hates the rain and will refuse to go out in it. We live in the East, has been raining almost daily and am wondering about the snow and ice. It takes him forever to do his potty-I don't think we're training him right. And I'm planning to get him a raincoat and booties for the wet, cold weather - a warm jacket too. Oh how we spoil these babies!
The "poem" is so right - we are the ones rescued by our "babies". (I have empty nest syndrome) And when we went to the shelter, after hearing about their mill rescue operation - I told my husband I'd take any dog, blind, three/two legs, diabetic,etc. He went a little bonkers but, as luck would have it, we did get just what he wanted - a poodle. And leaving there - I cried for those left behind. (And then began wondering what did I get myself into!!)
AM hoping this little "note" isn't too disjointed - my feelings and thoughts tend to get ahead of me. Now - "Babi Cake" needs walking.
Keep up the rescue work - and keep spreading the word about the cruelty of puppy mills.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts