Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably preaching to the choir, but they are the worst organization ever. Why haven't they been taken down. They are affilitated w/ a terrorist organization (ALF), they lie about what they do w/ donations, etc.

The fact that they stormed Westminster sickens me. All through the show there were ads about adopting a shelter dog and David Frei brought it up frequently. The ads featured mostly mixed breeds. Frei also mentioned that mixed breeds can now compete in many AKC events. Pedigree raised over $200k for shelter dogs and promised to match that. ( I just checked the Pedigree Foundation's website and the total is close to $300k.) The AKC commercials stated they spent $16million on canine health research. What the heck does PETA do? How many shelter dogs have they helped, how do they make dogs healthier? I know their answer is euthanasia, whether it's shelter dogs or Mike Vicks pitbulls. Kill em all is their answer, yet they have the nerve to protest Westminster.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Me too. I really hate their approach to things and find them as an organization incredibly shady. And I say that as an animal lover (obviously) and someone who doesn't eat meat. They give vegetarians and vegans a bad name!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree they are an awful organization. I wish more people really knew what they were about. If they had their way there would be no pet dogs or pets of any kind. They don't do anything to make things better for shelter dogs. I am suprised that they haven't been exposed in a greater way. I think if people really new what they were about there wouldn't be any support for them, people need to open their eyes and ears before giving money to PETA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They are a real scarey organization with a hidden agneda. They appeal to people who love animals but are basically ignorant about them. Rich ignorant people with money.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've always had issues with many of the PETA affiliates and ideals. And I agree that there are many people involved in the organization who are straight up ignorant. However, I don't think it's fair to say they're a terrible organization altogether. They have raised important issues into the spotlight and commonly revive a dialogue of ethics. I think in that way, they are not a terrible organization. I don't think people are asked to consider their morals much anymore and are encouraged to not rock the boat. To me a little boat rocking is healthy but ideally it would involve a two way conversation. "Mutts rule" was not a crappy statement. "Breeders kill" on the otherhand was a sweeping generalization based on the practices of heartless back yard breeder types...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I don't like peta and as for their "ethics" I don't think educating children on how their parents are killers/ taking illegal action to save animals/ paying criminals/ saying animals are better dead than in shelters/ and forcing your views down on others is very ethical IMO.

Ingrid Newkirk has a mission alright and only half of it involves saving animals.

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=2133509

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't like peta and as for their "ethics" I don't think educating children on how their parents are killers/ taking illegal action to save animals/ paying criminals/ saying animals are better dead than in shelters/ and forcing your views down on others is very ethical IMO.

Ingrid Newkirk has a mission alright and only half of it involves saving animals.

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=2133509

I just think that there are extremes on both sides and both sides make a lot of generalizations about the other. If you look at some PETA representatives you can find people that participate in the activities you described but there are also people that don't--and take a more responsible approach. Just like there are people who are non-PETA who commit crimes and push their agendas on the rest of us.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I read somewhere that out of 10 dogs that go into PETA's shelter only one or two actually make it out alive into a new home. It makes me sick. It makes me sad to think that if my dogs would get out and got picked up by them, they might very well be put down before I had the chance to find them. :(

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think they claimed to have a shelter, and "rescued" some dogs, and then tried to dispose of the bodies in North Carolina, rather than dispose of the bodies in VA. I believe it was a big news story right after we moved to the East Coast in 2006, there was definitely a court case about it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have to say in My opinon PETA is not an ethical organization. They are an extremist radical group. They have done very little for Pets and If you really investagate them you find that they would like nothing better than to do away with the concept of pets altogether. They think all animals should be wild and not "slaves" to man. They are not who they pretend to be

1 - 13 of 13 Posts