Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Artemis came up and sniffed Sisko, he got up suddenly and she pawed him, no claws or anything. He turned around and barked at her and was about to attack her even though she back down. He would have attacked her if I wasn’t there. I’m still upset and shaking. He would have killed her if I wasn’t there. Has anyone else gone through this? Is there any hope of this getting better with the help of a trainer. Something tells me no. I’m calling a family meeting when my mom gets back from work, and see what everyone says. I won’t risk the safety of my animals.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Have you been able to separate them and find a space to calm yourself? A behaviorist can be very helpful in these situations. I can't tell from this post alone what may have occurred in the context of their relationship.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, I separated them and am calmed myself. Artemis was known for attacking him when he would run away if there was any loud noise in the apartment or if I got scared playing a game. She hasn't done this in months though. Sisko would also just run away when she jumped on him.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Is Artemis a cat?
Animal dynamics can be difficult to manage, I separate the poodles from the cat Walter and the chi mix Gracie whenever I leave the house.
Both Walter and Gracie have attacked the poodles causing vet visits, Walter's aggression comes from severe pain of bouts of pancreatitis and megacolon. Gracie is ill bred and has tendenancies towards inappropriate agression, she is possessive, toy aggressive, food aggressive she has bitten people too.
Walter is helped by pain meds and Gracie is helped by prozac and Trazodone.
Basically I am saying if I don't carefully monitor my troublesome duo I can have a war zone.
I worked with my vet and used a ton of behavior modifications.
5 years on I am in a good place with the dynamics in the house.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, @twyla, Artemis is a cat. That sounds very ruff. Do they all get along while you're there? Sisko also has food and treat aggression. I'm the only one who can go near him while he has treat like a bully stick or something or icecream, so he doesn't get to have those anymore. Sisko is already on Trazadone too. I'm happy that you are in a good place with them now😁

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
They get along now, took a lot of work.
My trouble is that Walter is huge compared to the poodles, at 16 pounds he bit into Lenny's thigh, Pia's thigh and Gracie's back and neck.
I now can adjust his pain meds and nausea meds when he has bad bouts. Gabapentin a pain med has a side effect of mellowing him out.
When Walter us feeling well he likes the dogs.
Gracie at 7 pounds has punctured lips, noses and ears.
There are baby gates, to separate and keep the peace.
Make sure Artemis has places to get away up and under, also put a bell on Sisko so Artemis has a warning that Sisko is around.
You may want to discuss a dosage change in the Trazodone for Sisko as well, it is a stressful time for all, he may need extra help

·
Registered
427 Posts
If I'm reading this right, the cat used to attack the dog & today the tables turned. Dogs often times when young will run until they dont. I would never leave the dog & cat alone together. Not even for a few minutes. It is up to the dog & cat as to whether they will work with you to find peace. Some with training can learn to live together. Others it's a matter of management

I'm sorry this happened.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same problem, but it is the opposite, Artemis is 9 or 10 pounds and Sisko is 55 pounds. He's not the biggest Poodle, but he is very strong.

Sisko was doing well for a while with Artemis, but he is back to being anxious around her again. I can get a bell for her. Will it be okay to have cats in the future, you think? When I move I wanted to get a kitten for myself.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Depends on Sisko's prey drive, he may never see a cat as a house mate.
Since I gave little dogs I am very aware of prey drive in other dogs, the difference between being playful and predatory some dog owners get wrong, I cannot get it wrong si I err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I'm reading this right, the cat used to attack the dog & today the tables turned. Dogs often times when young will run until they dont. I would never leave the dog & cat alone together. Not even for a few minutes. It is up to the dog & cat as to whether they will work with you to find peace. Some with training can learn to live together. Others it's a matter of management

I'm sorry this happened.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes. She hadn't attacked him for a while, and when there were close times it never escalated into Sisko wanted to attack, and had both went on their separate ways. Yeah, they're not going to be left alone at all anymore. I think keeping them separated at all times is for the best. I don't think my family could have stopped it like I did and may make it worse. Okay. Thank you, @dogsavvy

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends on Sisko's prey drive, he may never see a cat as a house mate.
Since I gave little dogs I am very aware of prey drive in other dogs, the difference between being playful and predatory some dog owners get wrong, I cannot get it wrong si I err on the side of caution.
Okay, thank you @twyla. We had got to a place where Sisko didn't mind the cats running around and even playing. I had noticed over the weekend that he was showing interest in chasing them again.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure where to go from here. I think contacting some behaviorist would be the next step, but I can't see Sisko and Artemis getting along after this, and it could happen again. Perses, Artemis' brother would also step in and attack Sisko if he saw Artemis getting attacked. I will ask my family if they could handling it extremely calmly and move in a way to keep things from escalating, but also to separate them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It all depends on the individual animals' temperament. There is a hierachy in my home, to Sammy's disfavor. The other two dogs do not mess w/ the cat too much, because he defends himself. There have been some limited scuffles, but the cat alsways come out as victor. Sammy never challenges the caat, because he is smart.

But, Sammy and the cat ( Chance ) get along fine. Chief ( wild card in the mix) does take some social cues from older dog, that could bite his head off or at least do some serious harm. Chief has no problem harassing Sammy all day.

Sammy is the smallest and most non.aggressive. He and the cat have a great relationship. They actually like to hang out with each other and frequently nap laying their heads on each other's stomaches. There has never been a problem between sammy and Chance. Before my daugher's dog joined our family, there was never ONE single problem b/t my poodle and my cat. Although I do not have a spoo, I think most spoos would be able to live with a cat very well. Maybe get the cat first. Give it awhile to bond with you. Then, get a puppy?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am so sorry you are going
through this. 😔I have no advice other than what some have offered as we haven’t been able to totally solve our Bobby and our cat issues. I had this lovely naive thought that since we brought home Bobby as a little pup and Winston is used to dogs that they would have a good relationship and to some extent they do but we can never, ever leave them alone when we are gone as Bobby still will chase and pounce sometimes and we fear he could actually kill our old 16 year kitty, Winston. Bobby has a high prey drive and while not as often, it kicks in and he stalks, chases and pounces on poor Winston. It’s funny though as they sleep on the bed together at night, drink out of the same water bowl and even sniff noses. They are sort of friends but pretty sure Bobby thinks he’s a toy or a small animal that’s there for his amusement. We have always made sure that Winston has ways that he can escape and he pretty much spends his day in his special spots. We also did a lot of gating the first year. They only reason Winston hasn’t hurt him is because he has no claws 😔 ( he came us that that way as he was as rescue). I hope you can the help you need and that things we improve. I do feel for your situation. It’s so stressful.

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm so sorry that you guys are going through this too😔 It is very stressful. I think things will get better for the both of them especially since they do things together. That's sad to hear that Winston doesn't have claws😔 I hate when people de-claw their cats! Thank you @Spottytoes I hope things get better for you too.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I wonder if maybe Sisko might benefit from some impulse control exercises, if you aren't doing them already? I know both of my dogs' bad behavior has gone down after I began very firmly teaching leave it. Misty is certainly less stressed after I let her know she doesn't have to chase and/or bark at everything. I recently found this lady on Amazon Prime and Youtube, and while not all of her advice I agree with, I think that maybe her suggestions about the cat might help?
Sisko does have very poor impulse control. It's better than what it was because I have been working with him on it, but it's still not even that good. He even gets upset and stressed when he can't do what he wants to do. That's great to hear that Misty is less stressed! Thank you! I like Victoria Stilwell, and I had even watched this video before.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sisko does have very poor impulse control. It's better than what it was because I have been working with him on it, but it's still not even that good. He even gets upset and stressed when he can't do what he wants to do. That's great to hear that Misty is less stressed! Thank you! I like Victoria Stilwell, and I had even watched this video before.
It's good to hear that it's getting better--remember that it takes a while! I remember when Fluffy had his mounting problem, and he would howl and cry when I told him to leave it. It took a lot of work and consistency to get him to leave Misty alone when he gets the urge, although one thing that helped was when I recognized that when it got bad, was when he was extra stressed/hadn't had any mental stimulation. Maybe this is also the case with Sisko? And yeah, Victoria's my favorite, mostly because she's sort of blunt with the owners on what needs to be doing (especially the know-it-all guys).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts