Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Unfortunately I can’t take them out separately. I don’t have enough stamina to take them out every day, and when I find the strength to go, I am exhausted when I come back and cannot do it twice.

I am considering keeping Merlin on my lap. That’s what I do when they get tired, they ride on my lap. But Is it fair to him to not walk ? In all honesty, he is very happy on my lap, and Beckie needs the exercise a lot more than he does. I don’t think she would be happy at all not walking while he is.

About loose dogs, it’s true. There is a risk. Although it’s very rare around here. I’ve seen a few in parks, with their owners and off leash, but never on the streets. Any dog can get attacked even if they’re walking with their owner. I think it’s a calculated risk I’m willing to take.

I don’t want to go out by myself, it takes a lot of my energy and I want them to benefit from it too. It’s not fun without them.

I understand better now. Yep, wouldn't be fair if they can't both have a little walking time. I'm sorry you get so tired out. Well, something will come along that's just right. Maybe what Molly suggested would work.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I like this one MollyMuMa posted. You have a solid part and short leash, even if you her the solid part it would be enough control to keep him away from the wheels, and I don't know how the pups are but you could put them on a coupler and they would be together or one on each side of you. I also think anytime you walk dogs with wheels nearby wheelchair bike you just have to be more aware and able to adjust your leash length as you walk. I have walked dogs on my bike with a regular leash but frankly I had to go slow and be very careful. I don't do it with the big dogs, and actually I don't do it at all now a days. If a fall it would be disastrous. Or I just had an idea, though haven't quite thought it out maybe a piece of pvc pipe, run the leash thru it, the piping or something that is hard enough may just be enough to give you a bit of control at keeping the leash at arms length way from any wheels.i

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just looked on Amazon (Canada) and there is one like the Walky Dog that also unscrews for quick removal called the Deyace Dog Bike Leash that is a more reasonable price (cdn$39.99) if you just want the leash and not all the bells and whistles that come with the Walky Dog...........LOL! I was thinking you probably have harnesses already!
Thank you ! I hadn’t seen your post, I’ll look into it today. :)

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I like this one MollyMuMa posted. You have a solid part and short leash, even if you her the solid part it would be enough control to keep him away from the wheels, and I don't know how the pups are but you could put them on a coupler and they would be together or one on each side of you. I also think anytime you walk dogs with wheels nearby wheelchair bike you just have to be more aware and able to adjust your leash length as you walk. I have walked dogs on my bike with a regular leash but frankly I had to go slow and be very careful. I don't do it with the big dogs, and actually I don't do it at all now a days. If a fall it would be disastrous. Or I just had an idea, though haven't quite thought it out maybe a piece of pvc pipe, run the leash thru it, the piping or something that is hard enough may just be enough to give you a bit of control at keeping the leash at arms length way from any wheels.i
The PVC idea has potential. It’s so cheap I think I’ll try that first and if it fails, I’ll go to choice no 2 (Molly’s idea).

I can see it in my mind, but it might not work in real life.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
That has definite potential. When and if you rig something up, be sure to show us. PVC is awesome stuff...so good for so many things. I wish you the very best for this project. :)

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That has definite potential. When and if you rig something up, be sure to show us. PVC is awesome stuff...so good for so many things. I wish you the very best for this project. :)
Thank you ! I bought a piece of pvc for 6$ and had it cut in three different lengths so I could test it.

I haven’t tried it yet, I’ll let you know.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok, here’s what I did. We tried it this morning. Merlin had no apprehension whatsoever, he was very excited to go outside as soon as I started preparing the wheelchair.

We only went for about 20 minutes, my batteries were low. Merlin was a champ. Beckie is more of a problem. She is so excited, easily distracted, pulling, forgetting to stay on the right side, ect. I’m hoping she will mature a little more this year and be better next summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Is that rope running all the way through the pvc? It looks like it's going under it. Merlin looks sooooo cute and ready to try it out. :angel: No doubt Becky will come around with teensy short practice sessions and some maturity always helps, doesn't it. haha.

That cost sure beats those things you can buy already designed for it. That's lookin' good!

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is that rope running all the way through the pvc? It looks like it's going under it. Merlin looks sooooo cute and ready to try it out. :angel: No doubt Becky will come around with teensy short practice sessions and some maturity always helps, doesn't it. haha.

That cost sure beats those things you can buy already designed for it. That's lookin' good!
The rope is actually Merlin’s leash. It runs inside the pvc, then around it, then I made a knot on both end, and used a clothes clip (or whatever it’s called) that I broke and put one piece inside the pvc to keep the leash from going through it if Merlin were to pull really hard.

It’s not the best but it will do the job until I find something better. :)

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I'm not sure if this idea will help or not, but when bikejoring, and some of the other dog pulling sports, a pool noodle cut into the appropriate size is used to keep the lines from getting to close to the rig. If nothing else, a pool noodle is easy to work with, light weight, and inexpensive.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm not sure if this idea will help or not, but when bikejoring, and some of the other dog pulling sports, a pool noodle cut into the appropriate size is used to keep the lines from getting to close to the rig. If nothing else, a pool noodle is easy to work with, light weight, and inexpensive.
Thank you ! I like the idea, I think it would work too. And it wouldn’t scratch my chair like the pvc might.

I wonder how I could get the leash through it though ?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hollow pool noodle should be a possibility. This particular one is on the Lowes Canada site

Hollow Pool Noodle at Lowes Canada.jpg

I had a moment of thinking a fishing rod holder with clamp might be useful, but looking at the clamp, I don't think that would suit.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hollow pool noodle should be a possibility. This particular one is on the Lowes Canada site

View attachment 449711

I had a moment of thinking a fishing rod holder with clamp might be useful, but looking at the clamp, I don't think that would suit.
Wow, I need one of those ! I had no idea they made hollow pool noodles. I think my local store might have them. :)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Those pool noodles look like the perfect solution. Lightweight yet will keep the leash away from your chair safely. Since you will cut it up you can experiment and find the right length. You could even cut a slit through to the middle to make it easy to slip on and off the leash

Charmed, what a smart suggestion. Dechi, I hope you can make it work for you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was having a creative moment this morning. Forgive the messy drawing, I am neither an artist nor a draftsperson. If the noodle doesn't work, perhaps something like this???

My thought was the challenge was to keep dogs out from wheels, and provide enough support to the arm to keep it steady, yet still easily detachable. I have no clue what your wheelchair looks like, but here was the idea.... a rope to fasten the pipe around the wheel chair back, or some other appropriate support, and a two dog coupler so both can go at once. Like this one:
https://www.renspets.com/products/coastal-adjustable-coupler-black-3-8-width-18-24
Rope could be something soft, strong, and durable from an outdoors store or canadian tire, similar to this:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/0403-048/5mm-Nylon-Static-Cord

The end design is based roughly off the bike attachment I had as a teen. Make sure to use harnesses on the dogs, of course!

Instructions:
  1. cut pvc to appropriate size
  2. drill hole on pvc at a point slightly lower ger than the chair back or attachment point
  3. Drill holes on two PC end caps- 1 for width of rope, one to width of eye bolt
  4. screw eye bolt into pvc cap, add washer and nut
  5. thread rope or nylon webbing through hole in pvc pipe, then second end cap
  6. glue both end caps to pvc pipe, allow to cure or dry
  7. attach o ring to 2 dog coupler to eyebolt
  8. cut rope to size and attach clip (can be whatever is easy for you to open, maybe an old leash clip?)
  9. rope should be long enough to securely strap to attachment point/back of chair with little movement of pvc pipe
  10. test without dogs
Make sure to use a harness, of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I am so curious as to how this turned out? Was there a best solution?
I stayed with the first solution that I posted a picture of. My chair went for repair, then I wasn’t well enough to use it. So I haven’t given this much more thought.

Maybe next summer I’ll find something else. I’ll come back here and read all the suggestions again. That’s what’s good with forums, compared to Facebook, the infos don’t disappear !

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I stayed with the first solution that I posted a picture of. My chair went for repair, then I wasn’t well enough to use it. So I haven’t given this much more thought.

Maybe next summer I’ll find something else. I’ll come back here and read all the suggestions again. That’s what’s good with forums, compared to Facebook, the infos don’t disappear !
Awww...I'm sorry you haven't very well. Dang. You need a break. I hope you will feel better and that you can get something rigged up next spring or summer. Lots of good vibes coming your way Dechi. (((hug)))

21 - 40 of 40 Posts