Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an electric wheelchair so I can go on walks around the neighborhood. I am very happy with and the dogs are enjoying their walk.

BUT... This morning something very bad happened. Merlin got his leash caught in the back wheel (they’re a lot smaller than regular wheelchair wheels). Thank God he was not harmed but he was very scared, and so was I.

It’s all Beckie’s fault, she is a tough one to manage on foot, let alone in a wheelchair. She went to meet a dog we were passing (I can’t cross the street when we meet dogs, as the law requires me to «*drive*» in the same lane I would a car. Both dogs got distracted and somehow Merlin got caught.

Now, as this can’t happen anymore, I need to get some kind of attachment to keep Merlin from coming close enough to get caught again. There are attachments made specifically for bikes, but not many for wheelchairs. Also mine is foldable and the rods are only 2 cm. And ideally it would allow two dogs to be attached to the chair. Beckie walks further away from me, and Merlin walks closest to the wheelchair.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
22,153 Posts
Oh dear, that does sound upsetting for both of you, but especially for Merlin given his disposition. I don't have any real ideas, but perhaps if you can put up pictures of places where you think an attachment could go someone would be able to get clever on your behalf.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh dear, that does sound upsetting for both of you, but especially for Merlin given his disposition. I don't have any real ideas, but perhaps if you can put up pictures of places where you think an attachment could go someone would be able to get clever on your behalf.
Good idea, thanks !

Here is my chair, and where I think I could set-up the attachement for the dog. I would leave the rod on but would have to take off the attachment in order to fold the chair to bring it back in the house.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This looks promising ! Beckie wouldn’t be attached to it but Merlin would. I wonder if they could put two hooks instead of one.

Edited to add : they have an add-on coupler, so it would be perfect. It is really expensive though, more than 300$ with shipping and conversion rate.

·
Premium Member
15,807 Posts
Google 'wheelchair leash for dogs' and all kinds of em' pop up LOL!! There are even DIY Youtube videos! Happy searching LOL!!!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
That leash you posted looks promising. As long as it isn't too expensive, i'd give that a whirl.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
What do you think of this one for both of them ?

https://www.acarapets.com/maison
While I like this one, I wouldn't use it on a bike with a dog that may pull you over, on a wheelchair maybe but will it keep the pups far enough away from the wheels? You probably won't have the extra slack as you do with a leash so it may have promise. I think the hard pole type may do a better job at keeping a pup away from wheels....... I think though its difficult, if they have enough lead slack they can get caught on a wheel with any model.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Google 'wheelchair leash for dogs' and all kinds of em' pop up LOL!! There are even DIY Youtube videos! Happy searching LOL!!!
Thank you, I’ll try those exact words.

Most of what I googled gave me wheelchairs for dogs, same on Youtube. Very little products or videos actually about walking your dog on a wheelchair, and none with an electric wheelchair. So far.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
I think some of those in those links might work. But are you saying that the trouble is getting them on and off easily in order to get the wheel chair back in the house? And these might be too much trouble? I'm wondering if a bike shop or a machinist or tool and die maker might be able to modify that for you. I know if you lived close to me, my ex could do something. He's a near genius when it comes to making things to work. People would say, I need something that will do thus and so when it's doing such and such. He made things like bomb holders for the military and all kinds of things during his career. In fact, maybe I'll send him the picture of your wheel chair and explain what needs to be done with that stiff pole thing that you connect to the dog so that it can be removed quickly and easily for taking inside. He may or may not be able to do it without seeing it up close and personal but I bet someone over your way could. Or keep on looking.

That's scary what happened with Merlin. I'm glad he wasn't hurt and hope he'll "get back on the horse" okay. Yep, I wouldn't use anything that wasn't a stiff, pole thing to keep the dog away from the wheel chair. I hope Merlin will be okay and not spooked next time. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think some of those in those links might work. But are you saying that the trouble is getting them on and off easily in order to get the wheel chair back in the house? And these might be too much trouble? I'm wondering if a bike shop or a machinist or tool and die maker might be able to modify that for you. I know if you lived close to me, my ex could do something. He's a near genius when it comes to making things to work. People would say, I need something that will do thus and so when it's doing such and such. He made things like bomb holders for the military and all kinds of things during his career. In fact, maybe I'll send him the picture of your wheel chair and explain what needs to be done with that stiff pole thing that you connect to the dog so that it can be removed quickly and easily for taking inside. He may or may not be able to do it without seeing it up close and personal but I bet someone over your way could. Or keep on looking.

That's scary what happened with Merlin. I'm glad he wasn't hurt and hope he'll "get back on the horse" okay. Yep, I wouldn't use anything that wasn't a stiff, pole thing to keep the dog away from the wheel chair. I hope Merlin will be okay and not spooked next time. Best of luck.
I wish I could ask your ex too ! :)

When I bring the chair back into the house, I have to fold it (it stands on its back wheel, so it’s easy to pull) and it barely has enough room to go through the door. So the doggy attachment has to come off, or the chair will be too large for the doorway.

So the attachment also must be installed as to not prevent the chair from folding.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
That IS a trick. I'm wondering if something could be made, some kind of way to snap it on and off without using a bunch of tools. Maybe some kind of clamp/lever type thing that you open and close with your hands. I'm thinking of my bike. If I need to take off a wheel there's a little clamp that I pull up on and the wheel disengages and I can just sort of lift and pull up on the wheel. I have to do this to get my bike to fit into my car.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That IS a trick. I'm wondering if something could be made, some kind of way to snap it on and off without using a bunch of tools. Maybe some kind of clamp/lever type thing that you open and close with your hands. I'm thinking of my bike. If I need to take off a wheel there's a little clamp that I pull up on and the wheel disengages and I can just sort of lift and pull up on the wheel. I have to do this to get my bike to fit into my car.
There is the walky leash. I used to have one for my bike. I’m trying to decide of it’s the best choice. The attachment is too big for the wheelchair arm, but maybe if I wrap some kind of tape around it, it would fit.

https://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkydog-dog-bike-leash.html

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Well...you could try it. Or even call them and describe what you're wanting to do with it. Maybe they could be of assistance. They do say 100% satisfaction. So you could try it and see how it works. Is it holding the dog out far enough from your wheels?

I'd be terrified to ride my bike with my dog attached. First of all, it would be too much repetitive kind of exercise...no stopping and sniffing. And then too, I'd be afraid if I fell or even had a near accident, my dog could be hurt. But in a wheel chair it would be safer I'd think since you have 4 wheels to balance.

I hope something will work for you and your pooches that will be safe for all. It must be kind of hard to find something that holds the dog away just the right distance without being excessively far since you have to go on the road. That's pretty scary too. Are there any black top trails around? Or someplace safer? It's too bad you can't go on the side walk.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well...you could try it. Or even call them and describe what you're wanting to do with it. Maybe they could be of assistance. They do say 100% satisfaction. So you could try it and see how it works. Is it holding the dog out far enough from your wheels?

I'd be terrified to ride my bike with my dog attached. First of all, it would be too much repetitive kind of exercise...no stopping and sniffing. And then too, I'd be afraid if I fell or even had a near accident, my dog could be hurt. But in a wheel chair it would be safer I'd think since you have 4 wheels to balance.

I hope something will work for you and your pooches that will be safe for all. It must be kind of hard to find something that holds the dog away just the right distance without being excessively far since you have to go on the road. That's pretty scary too. Are there any black top trails around? Or someplace safer? It's too bad you can't go on the side walk.
Yes, there is a black plastic top on the wheels. I honestly can’t figure out how he managed to get caught in there.

The law allows me to go on sidewalks, but it’s not easier for me. They’re not even, like the road, they are at an angle, and it’s tiresome to push on the lever to stay straight. Also, meeting a dog on the sidewalk would be very dangerous, because Beckie is put of control when she meets (or sees) other dogs. If I had the money, I would get a private trainer come to my house to straighten her.

I think I might try it, so far it’s my first choice. But then what do I do with Beckie ? Do I keep her on a regular leash as I did, and let her pull on the leash and be in the front ? Do I use a coupler and let poor Merlin be dragged by her the whole time ?

Sigh. I went into a lot of trouble, and spent a lot of money on this thing, for them as much as for me. Right now I’m a bit discouraged. :-(

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Something will get figured out. Try not to be discouraged. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Hahaha. Helpful? LOL. NOT.

I see now that you describe how the sidewalks are. That would not be good.

Okay...here's a thought: What about going on two walks, one for each dog. I use to do that with my two when they were younger...not as much now, but sometimes so they can each have some one on one with me for walkies. Or can you not leave one home alone without a ruckus? Or...what about some kind of contraption where you carry one on your lap or in a front carrying pack...like you do with a baby. Then switch them or is that too physically difficult to do while you're in the wheel chair? I guess that would be hard to rig up. Hmmm...I'll keep thinking.

I almost think two dogs at one time when you're in a wheel chair could pose a bad situation if another dog came up to you...a loose dog. What if he/she were aggressive? And there you are with two dogs. I seriously think one at a time would be more safe and practical if it can be done. But even then, how fast can you undo the one attached to the bar thingy in case of an emergency? Now I'm probably causing you more stress. But I think this needs to be figured out and it can be.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Something will get figured out. Try not to be discouraged. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Hahaha. Helpful? LOL. NOT.

I see now that you describe how the sidewalks are. That would not be good.

Okay...here's a thought: What about going on two walks, one for each dog. I use to do that with my two when they were younger...not as much now, but sometimes so they can each have some one on one with me for walkies. Or can you not leave one home alone without a ruckus? Or...what about some kind of contraption where you carry one on your lap or in a front carrying pack...like you do with a baby. Then switch them or is that too physically difficult to do while you're in the wheel chair? I guess that would be hard to rig up. Hmmm...I'll keep thinking.

I almost think two dogs at one time when you're in a wheel chair could pose a bad situation if another dog came up to you...a loose dog. What if he/she were aggressive? And there you are with two dogs. I seriously think one at a time would be more safe and practical if it can be done. But even then, how fast can you undo the one attached to the bar thingy in case of an emergency? Now I'm probably causing you more stress. But I think this needs to be figured out and it can be.
Unfortunately I can’t take them out separately. I don’t have enough stamina to take them out every day, and when I find the strength to go, I am exhausted when I come back and cannot do it twice.

I am considering keeping Merlin on my lap. That’s what I do when they get tired, they ride on my lap. But Is it fair to him to not walk ? In all honesty, he is very happy on my lap, and Beckie needs the exercise a lot more than he does. I don’t think she would be happy at all not walking while he is.

About loose dogs, it’s true. There is a risk. Although it’s very rare around here. I’ve seen a few in parks, with their owners and off leash, but never on the streets. Any dog can get attacked even if they’re walking with their owner. I think it’s a calculated risk I’m willing to take.

I don’t want to go out by myself, it takes a lot of my energy and I want them to benefit from it too. It’s not fun without them.

·
Premium Member
15,807 Posts
I just looked on Amazon (Canada) and there is one like the Walky Dog that also unscrews for quick removal called the Deyace Dog Bike Leash that is a more reasonable price (cdn$39.99) if you just want the leash and not all the bells and whistles that come with the Walky Dog...........LOL! I was thinking you probably have harnesses already!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts