Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I and the dogs are on lock down. No not for COVID 19 but because one of my dogs has been diagnosed with Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia. Since the Tanker is on immune suppressants we are not allowed to attend training classes, shows, etc even taking the dogs for a walk runs a risk of bringing in something that could kill him. So I have 4 Standards and one young terrier going stir crazy. We had already started trick training and everyone has gotten their Novice title. I really need ideas to help the poodles run off energy when we can't take them anywhere dogs may have been... yes mental work helps but is not totally a replacement for a good run or a class full of time moving. We have a small backyard that is fenced so we can do things there but I am running out of things the dogs think are fun...

Sob we were told in June to expect him to be on meds for about 6 months I am not sure the poodles and I will survive...

·
Registered
640 Posts
That sounds like a tough spot to be in. I hope your dog recovers quickly.
In the meantime you could check out Canine Enrichment on Facebook for loads of fun ideas. Here are some suggestions to pick over: snuffle mats for meals instead of bowls (no snuffle mats? try rolling their kibble up in a towel- supervise this), kongs/toys stuffed with food/snacks and frozen, obstacle courses in home or backyard using furniture/cardboard boxes/tunnels, licky mats (these can also be frozen; mine have suction cups on the back so I can slap them to the fridge door), outdoor sandbox for digging, ball pit!!, puzzles, and just hiding treats around the house and yard for them to find. Step up your grooming, tooth brushing, nail routine so each dog is getting a little something everyday. Consider sprinkler or pool play while it’s still hot enough they will dry easily. Try dog TV (I use YouTube on my smart TV) but be warned that it can be very stimulating and some videos are better than others.
I hope this helps. I really recommend the Canine Enrichment page as an excellent source of ideas.

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
Oh my goodness, that sounds stressful!!

One thing I've done to make our yard more engaging is add some obstacles: I have a "tunnel" that's really just a clothes drying rack, a couple of big buckets, a low jump, a small kiddie pool that I can fill with water or toys or just leave empty (Peggy finds all three amusing), and a Jolly Ball that's made for horses. Plus lots of rugged miscellaneous dog toys.

Not only does Peggy find some of these things fun on her own, they give me more options when I'm out there playing with her or training. And it's fun to get creative. You probably have lots of items around the house to get you started.

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
A favourite game for mine is a variant on treat diving. Dogs wait in front of me and I say "This one is for... Poppy!" and toss a treat to one side in her general direction. While she is hunting for it I toss one for Sophy. It involves impulse control, a quick dash to where the treat fell, quite a bit of sniffing to find it, then the happy anticipation of the next one.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Spindle. Poor Tanker! When we can't get out, we play a lot of Hide & Seek, scent games, and with Nina Ottosson toys. It sounds like you've already got training well in hand. Hopefully they'll come out of this with loads of trick titles and ready to take the obedience world by storm.

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
Start your own Flyball team?!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts