Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a 10 day vacation, during that time Flower ate very little while she was kenneled at the vet. I need some yummy food to stimulate her appetite, I managed to get her to eat a 3 oz can of heavily gravied cat food after slowly syringing most of gravy ( sort of a persauded feed) into her mouth, she slowly swallowed it, after that she (with a little prompting from me) ate the rest of the food.

I need her to eat I have the ingredients for satin balls but that won't help if she won't eat it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Yes I did speak to my vet the most important thing is to get Flower eating, she is on Sub-Q fluids daily

My vet believes this is all due to the stress of being kenneled or away from me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What is her favorite food? Cat food sounds like a good emergency choice to me due to the protein. Have you tried hot dogs or other human food that she might go bonkers for? Goat yogurt or goat milk is also really good and might entice her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,108 Posts
Cooked minced chicken is my go to, cooked in real chicken stock so that the bones make a jelly. And several very small meals a day until she gets back into the habit of eating. An egg scrambled with a little butter, small pieces of roast meats, minced raw green tripe, or, as you have tried, canned cat food are other possibilities.

·
Registered
620 Posts
When our Brown was not eating - toward the end - we took to taking her for a ride in the car, something she still loved to do. And we'd end up at the Burger King drive-thru; order a cheeseburger. ("No, just cheese...it's for the dog.")

I'd break off a small bit of it and hand it over to the back seat and she'd eat it with gusto, but piece by piece. By that time she'd lost interest even in rotisserie chicken scraped off the bone...so sad.

But the cheeseburger and also some polish sausage with cheese that we happen to have sparked her appetite for a while.

Just my experience, I know Flower has dietary requirements.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Once she starts eating, her stomach will go back to its original size and she will be hungry. I think after eating that can, she should want to eat at the next meal.

Just try not to worry and go back to her original schedule. I think that she'll be fine now that mommy is back !

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful Blue, Mfmst, fjm and NotQuite thank you for the suggestions,

BB, my vet is less concerned about a kidney diet and more concerned about getting her to eat regularly,

I am going to try to feed her a little every couple hours. I just got Flower to eat a heaping teaspoon of cottage cheese.

I may try some all natural peanut butter later she loves that

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dechi, thank you I just have to keep her eating... in the last 10 days she has lost weight... very thin right now I can feel her spine.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Oh my poor Flower! EAT FLOWER, EAT!!!! One of the things to get more calories into her is a product called 'Nutri-Cal' it is specifically for animals who are not eating well and are losing weight. Very calorie dense and since it is sweet, palatable to most dogs. Pretty much available at all pet stores too! EAT FLOWER, EAT!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks MollyMuiMa, I will pick up some NutriCal tomorrow.

I am having some success, I am "syringing" the cat food gravy every 2 hours in the hour between that I've tried a teaspoon of peanut butter, this round was Stella and Chewy freeze dried beef topper

Trying everything that is tasty and easy on the stomach, I may try tuna later

I know I need to switch up what I'm giving her so its tempting.

oi cats are easier, I have "fed up" many a starved bony cat, the stinkier the food the more they ate, and tons of smaller meals so it stays down.

All I need to do with Flower is prime her palate, if you think of anything else chime in

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Braunschweiger? As to the canned tuna or chicken, I would try to syringe some of the water from the can into Flower's mouth first, to prime the pump.

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I brought Flower to work with me, I've managed to get her to eat a bit. I plan on feeding her every few hours. Now it's a combination of Cat food gravy syringed and Stella and Chewy's fried dried raw topper. She's liking that.

20170828_080835(1).jpg

·
Premium Member
22,760 Posts
How about human baby food or cooked chicken and a bit of pasta blended to a paste with some broth and oil (to raise the calories)?

·
Registered
906 Posts
What I have used on occasion is little bits of cheese (Laughing Cow soft cheese works well), bits of cheese on something else (bits of kibble, soft bread, very overdone pasta) bits of butter same thing.

Placed in the mouth, or in the pouch by the cheek. As you know if you can get a bit of food in there, it sometimes primes them to take a bit more.

Nutrical is also fabulous.

Sending "hunger vibes" to Flower.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
You are right she most likely did not eat because you were gone. My girls at home I have to feed them before I leave or all 3 bowls will go untouched until I return. I actually have to stay in the kitchen while they eat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
Just wanted to share my experience with a similar situation, forgive me if you've already tried this.

My girl is an extremely finicky eater, has a whole bunch of allergies and is on a kidney-and-pancreatitis-safe diet, so we've had to home cook for her. When she's had times of not eating, I've successfully coaxed her into it by cooking a bone broth (rabbit bones in our case, as she's allergic to other protein sources) and syringing it into her mouth. Then, she sort of gets a taste for it and will eat pureed meat & white rice. I make my broth in the instant pot because it only takes a few hours instead of a full day, but of course - there are tons of ways of making it. You just have to make sure it's "real" broth that's cooked down enough (so all the collagen is in the broth) and not just water from boiling meat, because that won't have as many nutrients and will have lots of fat. You can also freeze it in ice cube trays so you can use a bit when you need it.

Not sure if you've already tried this with your girl, but worth a shot if you're strapped for ideas.

EDIT: I totally just replied to a 2 year old thread. I am so sleep-deprived!!! Forgive my dorkiness, everyone!

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EDIT: I totally just replied to a 2 year old thread. I am so sleep-deprived!!! Forgive my dorkiness, everyone!
It is quite alright, sharing will help someone else along the line.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts