Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help, please. My poodle is getting older now, and sometimes she's incontinent. [On my couch :( ]

I want to get her some disposable diapers, and would like to get some thoughts from those of you who have gone this route.

I've heard that Pampers makes a type called Swaddlers, and that they come in a size for Preemies, and that it is for *up TO* 5 lbs. Have any of you used these ? Does anyone know if they are really this size, up to 5 lbs. ?

Thank you,
Karen

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I wonder if you checked the Pampers website or called their customer service line, someone might be able to send you a sample?? My daughter used to work for a call center and was a customer service rep for Proctor & Gamble. I'm not sure that she was able to send actual SAMPLES, but did send coupons for replacement products for people who were unhappy with something about the item they purchased... She recently changed jobs, but before she left she had a bunch of sample stuff mailed to the house (and some of the samples were diaper-y sort of things...) so maybe see if someone at the Pampers line could send you something to try!!??

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have 5 kids so I qualify for answering this question for you. Yes pampers does make a very small preemie size. Go to any grocery store and look for the Swaddlers.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The preemie size is usually only available through online purchasing. I know, because my oldest was a preemie, and had to go back to the hospital to get more diapers, because we were unable to find any preemie sized diapers outside of the NICU. My older dog also has some incontinence issues, while she sleeps mostly, and we have been using, from the suggestion as someone on here, Apawthecary's Tinkle Tonic Tincture. It seems to be helping, because I haven't found any dribbles anywhere for about a month.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if you checked the Pampers website or called their customer service line, someone might be able to send you a sample?? My daughter used to work for a call center and was a customer service rep for Proctor & Gamble. I'm not sure that she was able to send actual SAMPLES, but did send coupons for replacement products for people who were unhappy with something about the item they purchased... She recently changed jobs, but before she left she had a bunch of sample stuff mailed to the house (and some of the samples were diaper-y sort of things...) so maybe see if someone at the Pampers line could send you something to try!!??

Good luck!
I have 5 kids so I qualify for answering this question for you. Yes pampers does make a very small preemie size. Go to any grocery store and look for the Swaddlers.
The preemie size is usually only available through online purchasing. I know, because my oldest was a preemie, and had to go back to the hospital to get more diapers, because we were unable to find any preemie sized diapers outside of the NICU. My older dog also has some incontinence issues, while she sleeps mostly, and we have been using, from the suggestion as someone on here, Apawthecary's Tinkle Tonic Tincture. It seems to be helping, because I haven't found any dribbles anywhere for about a month.
Thank you SO MUCH, everyone :)
I looked on Pampers web site, and they do still carry a preemie size, I think it's P1. A product search shows that several of the stores in town carry the Swaddlers line, but I couldn't ask them to see if any of these stores carry this size, cause they're closed till Monday. But I'll call them then and see if they can tell me. A lot of times companies can tell you if stores carry their product line, but not always which size, flavor, etc. But if they don't have that information, I'll just go to town and look. Frankly, the diaper shelves make me dizzy, LOL.

Tina thank you for the tincture info (Tinkle Tonic, that is so cute, lol.) I'm going to get some of that too. We don't use traditional medications in our household, always herbs, etc. Have to tell you all something.... for about a year, Miss Poodle has had cardiomyopathy, caused by her heart murmur. Cardiomyopathy is enlargement of the heart. When the heart gets so large that it presses on the windpipe, it causes them to cough, because of the discomfort, and they can't feel as if they are getting enough air.
Heart murmurs are diagnosed as Stage 1 (mild,) Stage 2, etc, Stage 6 -serious, Stage 7 - Cardiac Failure w/ only a few months to live.
When she first showed symptoms, I took her to the vet who said she was at Stage 4, and gave me a few meds. I took them, but didn't want to use them. So I researched online, and found the herbs that could help her, ordered *all* of them (seriously, lol) and started her on everything.
This past Thanksgiving day she was listless and looked near death. I was terrified, took her to the vet, who changed the dosages of her meds, and told me that Miss Poodle was now a Stage 6. That made me very sad, but she pulled through, and I never stopped giving her the herbs and supplements, but I did not usually give her any of the prescription meds.
Fast forward to last week. She had an injury that I knew required stitches, so to the vet we go.
During the exam, her doc listened to her heart, looked at Miss Pooh's chart, listened to her heart again, looked back at the chart, then listened to her heart again for about 3 full minutes, during which time I thought omg she's gotten worse. With the most puzzled look on her face she said "Her heart murmur is Stage 2 now." You could have knocked me over with a feather, I was so happy. She couldn't even think of anything to say, and still had that puzzled look on her face. As I thanked her and left the room, I looked over my shoulder and said, "It was all the herbs and supplements I give her, and your meds." Didn't want to hurt her feelings by telling her that I hadn't always given her the meds.
Again, thank you all so much :)

Karen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried diapers and even special doggie diapers but I find that custom made panties/diapers with lining already in them work great and look great too. I have them even for my in-season girls. They are washable and last!
These eBay stores are great and I have gotten diapers and belly bands from them.
eBay Store - kingswares Dog Diapers: Dog Diapers, belly bands, doggie diaper
eBay Store - Dog Diapers: dog belly bands, pet diapers, diaper for dogs
thestars, thank you. I'm going to get some of those too. I knew that they make disposable diapers for dogs, but had not seen any that are washable.
If I can get her heart back to it's normal size, I'll LEAP for joy. But I fear the poor vet will faint. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts