Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My standard poodle Taylor is getting on everyones last nerve here - I am the only one who wants her here, and I dont want her to have to go but I'm afraid it will come down to that if I cant resolve these issues. For a little background info - She is 1 year old this month, we have had her since she was 4 months old. She's been through two obedience classes, puppy and beginner. She is VERY smart and did very well. Now let me explain the problems, most of which are only problems when we are not home, but thats alot of the time.. maybe someone will have some ideas for me. In the beginning when we all left for work/school, we left her in the laundry room with our other dogs. She started chewing up the door, the walls, the towels we would leave on floor (for the little dogs to go potty on if needed), etc. and two of the other dogs were both hurt by her (we know it was her - they had big scratch marks on them... and these are little dogs, a yorkie and a shih-tzu). That was the end of that. We tried leaving her outside a couple times but she will dig & bark, and she jumps on the door so hard she will knock the glass window on the back door out. So of course she is now in a crate when we are not there. If I leave chew toys or bones in the crate with her she won't touch them but happily chews on whatever towel or blanket I leave for her. So we get home and clean up the mess and all the dogs are free to go around the house as they please. Even while we have been home with her if you do not watch her CONSTANTLY she gets into something. She has ripped up three dog beds, every single dog toy, pillows off of the couch, etc. She harrasses the little dogs, to the point she will even pick our little 5lb shih-tzu up by his tail and carry him around. She'll run up to them full speed and basically pounce on them. Shes meaning to play but she is much bigger then everyone else and she doesnt understand that. I think I've pretty much painted the picture for everyone. I have tried to explain that she is still a puppy (I have always heard large breed dogs mature slower then small ones and that most are not mentally mature until they are 2 - is that correct?), that she is a high energy dog and is releasing pent up energy, etc. but our little dogs have never gone through that and so she is just considered a head-strong, stubborn, bad dog that will never learn. Its to the point were she is now in a crate anytime I am not watching her and I know thats not helping. I play with her (fetch), walk her, etc. but it doesnt seem to make any difference. She is a beautiful, sweet, smart dog and I love her but I dont know what to do with her. I know if she was the only dog and if I were home more often she would do a LOT better, she IS a good dog, I know she is. But she's causing a lot of tension and obviously she's not happy if shes acting out like this. Is this something she will outgrow? what am I doing wrong? any advice would be appreciated.. thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Valeriea,

I am no dog expert, but it sounds to me like she is bored out of her mind! Maybe you need to seek some professional help....help that could show you how to stimulate her. Good luck. Wish I had more to offer

·
Registered
708 Posts
Valeriea,

I am no dog expert, but it sounds to me like she is bored out of her mind! Maybe you need to seek some professional help....help that could show you how to stimulate her. Good luck. Wish I had more to offer
I agree. She needs more exercise/play. Have you looked into doggy day cares in your area? This may be an option for a couple days a week. What about a mid-day sitter to give her a good run/walk?

Also, instead of putting her in her crate when you can't watch her, try attaching her leash to your waist and have her go everywhere with you. That way she can't get into stuff but you can still get stuff done PLUS she is still getting a bit of exercise moving around.

Just some ideas but I think she is understimulated.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have to agree, she sounds extremely bored. Have you considered doing maybe some agility classes with her? or maybe something that will engage both her energy and stimulates her mind that both of you enjoy doing.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
This sounds like an active, high drive Poodle who is in need of a more consistent job. Do you have time to get involved with a dog sport like competitive Obedience or Agility? If not, you might consider rehoming her with someone who wants a dog with this much drive. Poodles like this need to keep their minds and bodies busy.

Where did Taylor come from? Can your breeder help you out?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Valeriea,

Agreed. Sounds like she's bored. She's also still a young dog, and the reality is young dogs can be very destructive. While I don't have experience with Standards, I know Portuguese Water Dogs don't really mature until they're 2 or 3 and can be very destructive when they're not supervised (if they've not been exercised enough).

On the crate front, you need to not leave anything in there with her. I know it seems harsh but as long as she is ripping up blankets etc then she just needs to not have them in there with her.

On the boredom/ stimulation front. Is she getting enough exercise? Can you up it and get her retrieving or something so that she wears herself out a little? Tired dogs don't tend to be destructive. She's probably picking on the little guys because she's looking for some stimulation, and let's face, a little dog running away from her is probably pretty stimulating!

Finally, if she's being destructive then she needs to always be supervised. That either means confining her to a certain space with X pens or baby gates, or you could try tethering her to you so that she is always with you when she's home. Just bear in mind that if she's out of sight then she's probably getting into trouble. :)

I hope you can resolve the issues you're having! Right now things are probably going in circles. She gets crated and is understimulated, so when she's out she's more destructive, so then she gets crated more. You need to break that pattern.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
OK, I am going to be honest and to the point. But please understand your home has a lot going on.:)

She sounds pretty normal accept that she is pretty high energy.

Problem one- I am going to bet she is not getting enough exercise that she needs.

Next - putting a larger breed dog with toy dos is a BIG mistake - this is not her fault. I have 2 toys and 2 standards and they all have to be watched and seperated when I am not there. It is an accident waiting to happen.

The crate is good that your now doing it, but she has already developed destructive habits so she will tear up the beds - remove them - this will need to be worked on.

How much interaction is going on with her? If a dog is doing this much tearing up my honest opinion is they are alone far too long :( - and I agree with you some about toys may need less, mine dont need as much as my poodles, they are very small and really dont require much and their messes are small.

I am not sure if she is a fit for your home. As you mentioned they are alone a lot........What do you want to do? What do you think the best resolution is?

If you want to fix the problem - she needs to be reminded of her training. She needs one on one attention. She needs crated by herself. Exercise at least 1 hour a day morning and night so she work out some of the energy.

She doesn't like her situation any less than those in your house. I HOPE this didn't seem harsh but she is begging for attention......

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
My standard poodle Taylor is getting on everyones last nerve here - I am the only one who wants her here, and I dont want her to have to go but I'm afraid it will come down to that if I cant resolve these issues. For a little background info - She is 1 year old this month, we have had her since she was 4 months old. She's been through two obedience classes, puppy and beginner. She is VERY smart and did very well. Now let me explain the problems, most of which are only problems when we are not home, but thats alot of the time.. maybe someone will have some ideas for me. In the beginning when we all left for work/school, we left her in the laundry room with our other dogs. She started chewing up the door, the walls, the towels we would leave on floor (for the little dogs to go potty on if needed), etc. and two of the other dogs were both hurt by her (we know it was her - they had big scratch marks on them... and these are little dogs, a yorkie and a shih-tzu). That was the end of that. We tried leaving her outside a couple times but she will dig & bark, and she jumps on the door so hard she will knock the glass window on the back door out. So of course she is now in a crate when we are not there. If I leave chew toys or bones in the crate with her she won't touch them but happily chews on whatever towel or blanket I leave for her. So we get home and clean up the mess and all the dogs are free to go around the house as they please. Even while we have been home with her if you do not watch her CONSTANTLY she gets into something. She has ripped up three dog beds, every single dog toy, pillows off of the couch, etc. She harrasses the little dogs, to the point she will even pick our little 5lb shih-tzu up by his tail and carry him around. She'll run up to them full speed and basically pounce on them. Shes meaning to play but she is much bigger then everyone else and she doesnt understand that. I think I've pretty much painted the picture for everyone. I have tried to explain that she is still a puppy (I have always heard large breed dogs mature slower then small ones and that most are not mentally mature until they are 2 - is that correct?), that she is a high energy dog and is releasing pent up energy, etc. but our little dogs have never gone through that and so she is just considered a head-strong, stubborn, bad dog that will never learn. Its to the point were she is now in a crate anytime I am not watching her and I know thats not helping. I play with her (fetch), walk her, etc. but it doesnt seem to make any difference. She is a beautiful, sweet, smart dog and I love her but I dont know what to do with her. I know if she was the only dog and if I were home more often she would do a LOT better, she IS a good dog, I know she is. But she's causing a lot of tension and obviously she's not happy if shes acting out like this. Is this something she will outgrow? what am I doing wrong? any advice would be appreciated.. thanks.
I am a firm believer that bad dogs are not born, they are made. This poor girl is left alone far to often by the sound of things.

First things first- crate train this girl. Young dogs are teeth with legs. Do not punish her by putting her in the crate when you are angry. Put her in it with a smile on your face and give her Kongs with peanut butter way up inside to keep her busy. Lots of goodies to keep her amused. She should not spend the majority of her life in a crate, but if you go out, she should be in it. If you work full time and she is going to have to spend half her time in it, is there someone you could hire as a dog walker to take her out and wear her out through the day, then back in the crate. She will eventually get past this, but if your lifestlye is this busy all the time where the dogs are left alone for long periods of time every single day, why did you get another dog. Maybe you should be working on the crate training and trying to find her a new home. The new home should not have small dogs in it, and someone in the family should be home most of the day to give her the attention she needs and deserves...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My standard poodle will destroy whatever she can get ahold of when I'm not around
((I've been told its some sort of separation problem))
but shes perfect around our Shih-tzu and they're left in our laundry room when everyone in the home leaves ((all 5 of us))

I agree with what everyone else is saying walk the dog more often and it might decrease the amount of boredom she has

Elphie gets 2 walks a day at 6am when I get up and at 5pm when I get done with school ((independent studies))

I personally believe this is a problem that can be solved
and its not as drastic as getting rid of the animal... =\
((how 'hurt' were the other dogs?))

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I agree she needs more stimulation and if you can't give it you might consider a performance home that would suit her better. It's really not fair to your other dogs either if she's picking them up by the tail and carrying them around.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I've got to agree with everyone that she is bored and needs exercise. How about taking her to a dog park every evening if there is one near you. My dogs will run for an hour straight there and burn off tons of energy. Take a ball with you and have fun. Find something very active to do.

Can someone come home at lunch and take her for a good run then or maybe get a dog walker.

When one of my girls has been into mischief or is in the mood to get into stuff I find that tethering her to my waist and getting on with whatever I'm doing helps to calm them down and frankly they can't get into much when they are attached to your waist. Not to mention its good training for them to pay attention to you.

She still is a pup and it does take time for them to calm down and mature. But especially now when she is so very young a dog that is bored and has way to much energy will find a way to amuse its self and chances are you won't like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts