Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ever since I was fired from the boarding kennel I've been job hunting to the extreme because basically, I need to find a job before December 21st.

Here's why..

My laptop is rent to own and I really do NEED this computer. It's not a want it truly is a necessity for what I want to do for a career. Not only that but I could even take online college courses with this thing. I just decided to get it paid off first before I do any courses. So I need to get a job to make the payment on january 1st.

My mom is going into surgery on December 21st therefore my time will be incredibly limited. I will have to take care of her when she comes out of surgery for she will not be able to move her arms AT ALL. Which means, I won't be able to job hunt as much as I would like to. So I want to have a job before then.

Anyway two days ago I applied for a different much NICER boarding kennel than the last one I worked at. This kennel is basically heaven whereas the last one was hell. It's run a lot more professionally and is WAY cleaner than the last one. I truly believe that there's no horsing around at this one and they don't tolerate a lot of what the last kennel did.

I called today to check up and they were nice enough to tell me at least the status of what they are doing to find their next employee. They told me today, they're checking references. This makes me panic a little because I'm worried of what the last kennel might say about me.. I had to put that I worked there down to show I did work with animals and that I am experienced, and now I'm just hoping that my last boss will at least just simply state I worked there and nothing more.

Crossing fingers that something good will happen and that my efforts won't be in vain.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good luck with your job hunting!

Sending good vibes your way so you can get this job!

With the economy it's pretty difficult to find a job. I'm also having a lot of trouble finding a job, and it's to the point that I suppose I'm not even qualified for a menial job. I'm hoping the economy gets better, I need some way to pay for tuition.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck with your job hunting!

Sending good vibes your way so you can get this job!

With the economy it's pretty difficult to find a job. I'm also having a lot of trouble finding a job, and it's to the point that I suppose I'm not even qualified for a menial job. I'm hoping the economy gets better, I need some way to pay for tuition.
Tell me about it!! I actually went to the unemployment office and took a skills test to see what would come up. My results was: "No matches" :scared:

·
Registered
646 Posts
I know you want to work with animals but try the food place not sure about where you are but here in my part of Ontario Canada the Mcdonands are blowing last years sale away, Tim Hortons is still very busy as are many fast food places

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you want to work with animals but try the food place not sure about where you are but here in my part of Ontario Canada the Mcdonands are blowing last years sale away, Tim Hortons is still very busy as are many fast food places
I did apply for some fast food joints such as Taco Bell, Arbys, Burger King, and even Mcdonalds.

Surprisingly none of them were hiring. Go figure, always hiring until I need a job. Murphy's Law anyone? :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You know considering the issues you've had w/ your family this past year, I would ask your parents to make the payment in exchange for caring for your mother. Otherwise, concentrate on finding a job and let your father or sister care for her if you find a job. My mom has RA and I help her out a lot, but she's never tried to give my dogs away and she always there when I need her.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know considering the issues you've had w/ your family this past year, I would ask your parents to make the payment in exchange for caring for your mother. Otherwise, concentrate on finding a job and let your father or sister care for her if you find a job. My mom has RA and I help her out a lot, but she's never tried to give my dogs away and she always there when I need her.
You know I've thought about doing that..but at the same time my mom isn't real good at keeping her promises and she's already helping me with my cellphone payment.

Also my sister is EXTREMELY unreliable otherwise mom probably would ask for her help. She's also probably looking at the fact my sister has 2 jobs and a 4 year old to take care of so it just falls on me to help mom.

That is a really good idea and all, I'm just going to see what happens until the 15th. If I see no improvement I'll bring the idea up to mom, until then I just really want to try it on my own first.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Good luck! I'm sending good juju your way!

Also, just an FYI, your old references aren't allowed to say anything bad about you, they can just sugarcoat the bad stuff... for example, if someone never showed/was late all the time up to work... they can't say, "They were lazy and were always late." They have to say something like, "They need to work on their time management skills."

It's illegal for them to say anything defamatory.

You learn things when your mother is a lawyer. (Like how much lawyers work!)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Don't worry much about what your other employer says about you, they really aren't allowed to say much other than to confirm you were actually employed there. Even if they say something like what spencer posted it could mean trouble, most don't dare. Now as for the people who you actually listed as refferences thats a little different they have more room to talk but not much more.

Also remember that Checking refferences doesn't always mean checking with past employers though sometimes it does. Refs are people who can vouche for the type of person you are, usually friends or people you may have worked with. Say if you were involved in a particual organization somebody from there could be listed as a refference when you apply. For example a well known AKC judge is always given when I am asked, as is the project coordinator for the 4-H program, and everyonce in a while an especialy good client - depends on what I need the refs for. I have actualy never listed refs when appling for a job. I always have them on a seperate sheet of paper and my resume' says they are available upon request. I have rarely been asked for them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I hate to say this, but maybe it would be a good time to not keep the computer. It sounds like you have ALOT on your plate with looking for work and helping out your mom. I know you will need a computer for school and your future career but since you aren't doing those things at this moment, maybe letting the computer go until you are able to more comfortable finance it would be a better alternative. (Less stress for you at this time). I do understand how frustrating that thought is - currently I am REALLY wishing our family had a new(to us) van. Ours has 150 thousand miles, the speedometer is shot, the one automatic door decides when it actually wants to close now that it is cold...but it is paid for and for our family and this economy, that is what we need to be happy with. (And I'm going to be EVER so thankful when we finally do get a different van! :) But the stress of the car payment would be worse at this time than the stress of the van.
I also want to say that you will never regret helping out your family. I mean, sure - it will probably have its moments, but years from now you'll be so glad you gave of yourself. That is what families do for each other. And if your mom is helping out with your phone bill - it sounds like she does care for your well being too. Good luck and I hope you get this job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts