Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to say that I do love my Wrigley. I understand that with it being really cold lately (so he is in the house and confined to smaller areas at times) that he gets bored. I also understand that he is still a young puppy (five months). But in the last few weeks, he has started counter surfing, tearing things off the fridge and eating it to shreds, eating my wood work, and barking and whining. (Whining if I have to crate him...especially in the morning. And it isn't about needing to go to the bathroom. I will let him out around 6 but I put him back in as we aren't ready to be up yet. Then he will whine). Also - even though I know he is playing - he has taken to playing too rough with my Crestie girls. I try to work with him and discourage it but it is to the point that I have to separate them to go outside to go potty because he will immediately run after then and start to jump/play bite them. They get tired of it and run under the picnic table and no one ends up going poopy. (Potty - I can get them all to do but since the girls can't sniff and find their perfect spot - they hold it until they come inside and then decide to go on the floor). I've tried separating them but that seems to make them all the more desirable to Wriggs.
PLEASE PLEASE tell me that this is just a stage! His parents were both very laid back. I called the trainer and she isn't starting classes until March. AUGH! So, tomorrow I'm buying some treats she told me about. But honestly - I'm not sure that is going to be enough. When I have him with us, he just paces up and down the room. I try to get him to sit with me and cuddle but he sits for two seconds and then pops up and paces (which makes me nervous because I don't know if he is chewing something or looking for a place to pee - although he hasn't peed in the house for awhile.)
Can you all give me your stories and encourage me? Surely he isn't destined to be this high maintenance forever, right? I just need to be consistent and weather the puppy months, right?

·
Registered
843 Posts
He is just a puppy...and being a poodle,he will be for quite some time yet.
Take him to obedience classes as soon as you can.
As far as chewing...isn't he teething?
Try some good long lasting chew bones,or beef soup bones are great as well.
You say it is cold,but I bet he does not care.
He needs to burn off the energy and go for a good romp in the park every day. Or maybe consider a local doggy daycare in the winter months...maybe once or twice a week...that will tire him out and he can socialize.
Poodles are notorious for being mouthy...Gunther always has to nibble or hold on to something. While he was housebound after the surgery,he chewed up my blackberry to pieces...in less than 5 minutes.
Basically,what you are experiencing is perfectly normal and will eventually pass....all of my standard poodles went from puppies from hell to lovely dogs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
He's just a puppy so his energy level is off the charts! He needs to be worn out a few times a day. I know it must be hard with your cresties. Jenny is all over Sam and it drives dh nuts sometimes, but Sam can take it and he wears her out alot by just letting her jump, climb and chew all over him. I don't know what to tell you about getting him to be more gentle with them. My mom visited for a week with her very tiny chihuahua/pom mix and she didn't want anything to do with Jenny so she was pretty good at staying out of her way and Jenny did listen when we told her to leave Ginger alone, but of course we still had to tell her every 3 minutes. As far as the chewing Jenny pretty much sticks with her toys (and Sam), have you tried a Kong? I don't know if this would work for him or not but I have heard of people putting duct tape sticky side up on the edge of countertops. Then it sticks to their feet when they jump up and they don't like it. Never tried it myself, but maybe worth a try. Of course you would want to be nearby, I'm sure duct tape isn't very nutritious :) Does he stop barking even for a little while when you tell him too? If so you could try rewarding him for staying quiet for gradually longer periods of time, just be careful not to reinforce the bark itself with a treat. I think the best thing you can do is wear him out with a combination of physical exercise and brain exercise. Try to take time in the morning for a walk or play session, then a training session, then give him something like a kong to entertain himself with. Then do it again in the afternoon. Once he knows a few commands reliably maybe include the cresties in your training session (not play sessions for awhile) and make him work when they are nearby, maybe he will learn to behave himself with them around. Or we could just put him and Jenny in a fenced in yard and let them go! I would love to see how long they would keep going before crashing out. LOL!!! Hang in there, it'll get better.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yep Im with the other's. Its all puppy stage behavior. While some weeks seem to really improve and other's seem like hell. Eventually one day he will turn into that dog you have been training him to be. lol Eventually!

About the ruff play with the cresties.....I suggest to seperate him from them for a few minutes. Then when he has calmed down his behavior a little let him back in with the other's. If he continues being ruff then away again. Just do a few minutes each time. This works great for a teething puppy that wants to bite constantly rather then a nice lick. When Sting mouth's me, I stop giving him any attention and ignore him until he's realized what happened. He responded very quickly to this technique.

About the pottie breaks..... make him potty seperate from the cresties. My rat terrier is a crazy girls and runs laps around the yard when she goes out and it distracts Sting. For that reason in the morning's, partically, they go seperately. Save's the headache.

Also, when crating Wrigley during the day try to give him something to keep him occupied. Maybe a kong with peanut butter or a favorite bone to chew. I would also continue to teach him that 6 am is still resting/sleeping time and to remain quiet until atleast 7:30 am. Of course potty breaks don't count. Im lucky but a firm "No Sting" does the trick when ever its needed to calm him from wanting out of the crate. Not all puppies are alike though. Sting also walks into his crate when its time for bed. However, Sting is into everything and Im constantly watching every move he make's. He puts more crap in his mouth then my toddler does. lol

It will get better eventually. I think the doggie daycare is a great idea if you have that available. I think hiring a trainer to come out to your home is a little much for this but the obediance classes will be great. Hope this helped a little.

·
Registered
616 Posts
after Dutch wakes up for his EARLY potty break he does not like to go back into his crate either. he wants to be with us, so we just put him onto the bed with us and he goes right back to sleep. he just wants to be with us!! works great for us

·
Registered
554 Posts
Don't worry...it will get better! He is a bit younger than Casey and she just went through a stage where she was chewing on everything...we did the bitter apple spray and made sure there were tons of chewable doggie toys in different textures (soft, hard, squishy, crunchy, ect) on the floor at all times.

I think he is at the age where he is going to test you...just stick to what you think is acceptable behavior and you will get through it! I am sure you can bear it for a couple of months until you get him into classes, but in the meantime just try to keep him either as occupied or tired as possible!

Try calling the breeder and see if she has any suggestions about what she uses for teething puppies. Maybe something he has seem before and he remembers will help calm him a bit.

·
Registered
912 Posts
He is just a puppy...and being a poodle,he will be for quite some time yet.

How long spoofan? The T dog is now just over 6 months and while he is generally a good boy mostly cause he has Locky to wear him out I think, I just wondered at what age they tend to grow up a little. I don't mind him like he is, puppy play is quite good fun, but he is not reliable in his obedience training :banghead: and I think this is just short attention span so wondering when this might improve?

Our shepherd was only puppyish till about 12 - 18 months and then he just seemed like a wise old man LOL.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think Sam started losing alot of the puppyness, between 18 and 24 months. Then he went into old man mode, LOL!! He still has spurts of energy but 90% of the time he is lazing around.

·
Registered
912 Posts
It is so hard to imagine T in old man mode :rofl: he is such a ball of energy now, I'm finding it hard to believe he will ever grow up LOL.

·
Registered
843 Posts
How long spoofan? The T dog is now just over 6 months and while he is generally a good boy mostly cause he has Locky to wear him out I think, I just wondered at what age they tend to grow up a little. I don't mind him like he is, puppy play is quite good fun, but he is not reliable in his obedience training :banghead: and I think this is just short attention span so wondering when this might improve?

Our shepherd was only puppyish till about 12 - 18 months and then he just seemed like a wise old man LOL.
Gunther is my 3rd spoo and my 2 girls,as well as my daughter's spoo were almost 3 years old before they started to act like mature dogs.
I think,that standard poodles mature quite slowly...both physically and mentally in comparison with other large breed dogs.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ohhh well a few more years of puppy fun LOL! He gets bored quite quickly even with his own toys and Locky, so keeping him learning for more than about 10 minutes is proving a tad tricky. He is clever enough just doesn't want to pay attention and doesn't really do things to please me, only does them when he thinks there is something in it for him!

The shepherd on the other hand would bend over backwards if he thought that would please me, and would die with his leg in the air before willfully ignoring me. T is proving to be a different sort of dog that's for sure.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been filling up the Kong, searching pet stores for the ball that dispenses treats (still haven't found it yet, but I will) and I decided that since I can't take Wriggs out for walks very easily (and have no treadmill) - I put a leash on him and he walks with me all over the house as I clean and do... surely that has to help some! I also bought him a BIG Nylabone. He seems to like it in spurts.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I've been filling up the Kong, searching pet stores for the ball that dispenses treats (still haven't found it yet, but I will) and I decided that since I can't take Wriggs out for walks very easily (and have no treadmill) - I put a leash on him and he walks with me all over the house as I clean and do... surely that has to help some! I also bought him a BIG Nylabone. He seems to like it in spurts.
Thats good to hear. I know that I certainly go through times when I feel like I have had enough. Then I start walking around the house and looking to see what I can do differently to help keep my anxiety level down. For instance baby gates work wonder's when you would like to keep dogs out, but still confined to an area you can monitor. I use my baby gates for the dogs more then my own kids. lol I also just found a large baby gate that is large enough to divide my dining and living room (12 feet). OMG I love that thing. I put the dogs in the livingroom while we eat or when Im cooking rather then constantly telling them out or get back etc. It was 40.00 bucks on craigslist and has a door. Great buy!

Oh, and since your not able to get out for walks right now maybe consider taking Wrigley for car rides. Im in the habit of taking 1, if not all my dogs just to get some taco bell. They get so excited and just that little outing seems to make them very happy. I know Wrigley is still young and may not enjoy going places yet but possibly eventually he will. Thats just something I do.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a really good day today and am very encouraged! I think the key is just making sure I stay creative during the cold season so Wrigley gets the energy he needs. He was such a different boy today because not only did I have him follow me around but also, I was able to take him on a walk (I had today off from work).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Glad you are feeling better about being a spoo parent! I know last week that Casey was driving me nuts because it was soooo cold out and she couldn't stay out long.

Today was her 1st day getting to stay out for 20-30 minutes at a time and I threw the ball for her to chase after she did her business...she is sleeping right now!

I am kicking my self in the rear for not taking a treadmill I saw at a garage sale this summer...now that is a great idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts