Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are standard always at you side? My poodle is afraid to stay out side by her self. even when she can see me out side! I know she seems afraid of everything:hypnotized: cars, motorcycles even when my husband has one ! Gracie is always looking for a boggy man! we go for long walk every day we live on a busy country road with Lots of noise trucks, tractors, road work trucks(we do not walk on our road not safe. We go for car ride and she jumps at the cars or trucks as they drive past us. I have her in the back set with dog harness on her that is a set belt for dogs! How do I help her . I got her when she was 14 weeks. She will be a year this Sept 18.:confused:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome to the site ruby. I am not a good one to answer your question as I am a new mommy to a puppy named Beau. You will find lots of answers here and lots of support.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
As a person that watches a lot of The Dog Whisperer, I'd suggest watching his shows for sure. He also has a book out. I think that whether we realize it or not we can reinforce some of the fears in our dogs by certain things we do with them. I wonder if you are her alpha? If you aren't and she's not alpha type she might be fearful because she doesn't know that her alpha will protect her at all times. Please look up Ceasar Milan's website and books. He's amazing and he focuses more on pet owners behaviors instead of just the pets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My spoo is a leaner. I think that if she could get under my skin she would. I don't know her history since I just got her a few months ago. She was a rescue. She is always close to where ever I am. I don't know if this is typical since she is my first spoo.

Debbie

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
As a person that watches a lot of The Dog Whisperer, I'd suggest watching his shows for sure. He also has a book out. I think that whether we realize it or not we can reinforce some of the fears in our dogs by certain things we do with them. I wonder if you are her alpha? If you aren't and she's not alpha type she might be fearful because she doesn't know that her alpha will protect her at all times. Please look up Ceasar Milan's website and books. He's amazing and he focuses more on pet owners behaviors instead of just the pets.
I second this 100%!! I love Cesar! There are so many great ideas and tips for you on this show! Check it out for sure! you can also watch episodes online I believe!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
None of my Spoos or Minis are afraid but then again they had a tremendous amount of socialization in their first year. Have you talked to any trainers or signed up for a class? They may be able to assist with exercises to help.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have 3 Standard poodles and while I call them my groupies none is afraid to venture off by themselves. (Especially at the dog park) I'd try exposing them to new things. I even take mine to yard sales. That way they get used to new things and they don't freak out at change. Another good place is a school yard mine help me pick up our kids and the kids there all love them and help them become bomb proof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts