Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first got Zekefur a puzzle ball, which he figured out in about a minute. After almost 4 weeks of using it for his meals, I bought the one, in the video, which claims tone an intermediate level. Ok, so this one took him maybe 1 1/2 minutes to get it figured out.

Anyone have some good ones they like? I’d love to see videos and pics of your dog playing with it!

This one is nice, but mini soft reward treats don’t come out. I think they stick to the plastic inside, but mini hard treat work well! I am using his small bites dog food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I first got Zekefur a puzzle ball, which he figured out in about a minute. After almost 4 weeks of using it for his meals, I bought the one, in the video, which claims tone an intermediate level. Ok, so this one took him maybe 1 1/2 minutes to get it figured out.

Anyone have some good ones they like? I’d love to see videos and pics of your dog playing with it!

This one is nice, but mini soft reward treats don’t come out. I think they stick to the plastic inside, but mini hard treat work well! I am using his small bites dog food.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UhrjNvgCprs&t=2s

I wish I had some suggestions! Zeke just learns so quickly!

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Reactions: jojogal001

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
so the adjustable holes wouldn't make any difference? rats. okay, then, do a search for dog puzzle toys. there are quite a few out there. some of them are really pricey, though. as in ouch.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
That does look fun. I watched the video on it, and Zeke would have that figured out in seconds. I found some that they have to slide something to make drawers open, take things off the top. They are advanced level. One of those may keep him busy for a while... maybe.

I think I have the one you are describing.
https://smile.amazon.com/Trixie-Pro...20&s=gateway&sprefix=Dog+puzz,aps,153&sr=8-83

It didn’t take my dog long to figure it out and Zeke is a smart poodle so it won’t take him much time either.

But maybe I see the puzzle toys differently. Babykins expects, no she demands, a filled Kong each night. She just loves working part of her dinner out of the Kong. It’s not about the novelty of solving the puzzle but rather the fun of working for her food. I don’t use the Trixie flip board too often because it’s more work to clean (Kong’s go into dishwasher and don’t take up much space) and she seems to prefer the Kong. It comes out every once and a while for variety. When she was eating kibble I had a few kibble dispensers where she had to bounce or roll it around. Since she eats home cooked food the kibble dispensers got donated to the humane society.

Do you feel Zeke is getting bored? Using a couple of different puzzle toys and randomly switching can help with boredom.

Or is it he’s too fast getting his food? Once they solve any puzzle once it will always be easier the next time and there aren’t enough puzzle toys to constantly give him novel puzzles. To me it’s about the fun they have working to get their food and not with the speed. As long as there’s some physical challenge it remains a way to work their brain and body while feeding. And if it’s no longer fun, hide it away for a month then pull it out again and it will almost be like a new toy again.

Reactions: jojogal001

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I have the one you are describing.

https://smile.amazon.com/Trixie-Pro...20&s=gateway&sprefix=Dog+puzz,aps,153&sr=8-83

It didn’t take my dog long to figure it out and Zeke is a smart poodle so it won’t take him much time either.

But maybe I see the puzzle toys differently. Babykins expects, no she demands, a filled Kong each night. She just loves working part of her dinner out of the Kong. It’s not about the novelty of solving the puzzle but rather the fun of working for her food. I don’t use the Trixie flip board too often because it’s more work to clean (Kong’s go into dishwasher and don’t take up much space) and she seems to prefer the Kong. It comes out every once and a while for variety. When she was eating kibble I had a few kibble dispensers where she had to bounce or roll it around. Since she eats home cooked food the kibble dispensers got donated to the humane society.

Do you feel Zeke is getting bored? Using a couple of different puzzle toys and randomly switching can help with boredom.

Or is it he’s too fast getting his food? Once they solve any puzzle once it will always be easier the next time and there aren’t enough puzzle toys to constantly give him novel puzzles. To me it’s about the fun they have working to get their food and not with the speed. As long as there’s some physical challenge it remains a way to work their brain and body while feeding. And if it’s no longer fun, hide it away for a month then pull it out again and it will almost be like a new toy again.

You know, I think you’re right. It’s not the difficulty of the toy, but how much fun he has getting his meals out of it. I didn’t think about that. So I guess between the puzzle ball and the new one, I can trade them out to feed him and he will always enjoy it.

As far as him eating too fast, that was a big problem! He could scarf down a meal in less than 30 seconds. He gets 1/3 cup of small bites kibble twice a day. The puzzles are a wonderful way to make him take 10-15 minutes to eat. And I like that he has to work for it.

He doesn’t seem bored with either one, but seems to enjoy the new one more. He has to topple it and flip it over for the soft treats to come out. I’ll just try rotating between the two.

Thank you so much for opening my eyes about this!

https://www.amazon.com/Treat-Dispen...efix=Nina+ottosin,aps,172&sr=8-28-spons&psc=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Like Skylar, I started with frozen puppy kongs when my spoo was young. These were given in the crate initially. We’ve moved on to (mostly) stuffed and frozen femur bones. Both dogs get one after each meal and when I return home at lunch, with part of their daily food and also to keep them busy. Plus they like them.

It’s easier with a spoo to hand feed or foodball-feed a portion of their daily food, since they eat more. Here are photos of two of the treat balls that I used. The one with the variable sized hole worked just fine. There’s also a cube which is more difficult to empty of kibble.

Sometimes I’ve bought specific-sized kibble, for example, for a treat and train dispenser that requires smaller-sized kibble than what I was feeding at the time.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.