Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I miss Sisko. He was a lot of work, but he still had his funny and fun moments. We are still probably going to get another dog soon, but I really miss the training, going places with a dog, relaxing at home with a dog, sharing snacks with a dog, playing a dog and just being silly with them.

I haven't had any clients with Rover yet either. I haven't interacted with a dog in a few months. I love and adore my cats, but they're just not dogs. I need both in my life to be the happiest.

·
Registered
632 Posts
ah, I'm sorry. Do any of your family members have a cat-friendly dog you can "borrow"?

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,702 Posts
My heart breaks for you, and I think of Sisko often.

You went through quite an ordeal with Sisko, and the tensions kept ratcheting upwards right until the end. It's normal after a sudden loss to feel an emptiness. Perhaps the holidays served as a distraction for a time, but now that they're behind us, there's a gulf where Sisko used to be.

Years ago I spoke with a dog trainer about chronic stress in households that had to rehome or PTS dogs due to difficult behaviors, and she said it can take six months for cortisol levels to return to baseline after losing the dog. I suspect that's a really important benchmark to pass before making any major changes like taking in a new dog. You want to be in the right headspace when a new dog enters your home, to ensure you have the emotional capacity to cope with the trials of a new life, whether a puppy or an adult.

It's good to see you back here, and I hope school is going well.

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
My life doesn’t feel like my life unless there’s a dog in it. When we lost our last dog, I would find myself looking at his usual perches and really missing him. It was especially hard walking by myself in the neighborhood. Everyone would stop and ask where Charlie was. Walking alone without a dog isn’t as fun either. I understand the longing for a dog.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My heart breaks for you, and I think of Sisko often.

You went through quite an ordeal with Sisko, and the tensions kept ratcheting upwards right until the end. It's normal after a sudden loss to feel an emptiness. Perhaps the holidays served as a distraction for a time, but now that they're behind us, there's a gulf where Sisko used to be.

Years ago I spoke with a dog trainer about chronic stress in households that had to rehome or PTS dogs due to difficult behaviors, and she said it can take six months for cortisol levels to return to baseline after losing the dog. I suspect that's a really important benchmark to pass before making any major changes like taking in a new dog. You want to be in the right headspace when a new dog enters your home, to ensure you have the emotional capacity to cope with the trials of a new life, whether a puppy or an adult.

It's good to see you back here, and I hope school is going well.
Yeah, the holidays were a distraction. Thank you. That is really important, and I don't have that headspace right now to be honest. Thank you. School is going well, but I start in March, but I have been re-learning math, and it's going well.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My life doesn’t feel like my life unless there’s a dog in it. When we lost our last dog, I would find myself looking at his usual perches and really missing him. It was especially hard walking by myself in the neighborhood. Everyone would stop and ask where Charlie was. Walking alone without a dog isn’t as fun either. I understand the longing for a dog.
I really felt that. It was like that after losing our Aussie and it hurts when people ask too. I know they don't mean any harm, but it still hurts. Yeah, walking without a dog is boring.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you need some poodle cuddles we can see if we can arrange to meet up so you can meet Groot and Snoop if you’d like!
Thank you! That would be really awesome, but I would like to hold off until covid calms down. Over 900 cases here in my area alone😔

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
The quiet can be deafening :cry:

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
I miss Sisko too - always loved his pictures - they made me smile every time. Sorry that Rover hasn't sent you any clients yet. You might want to post about your abilities and contact info at all the nearby vets, doggie day cares, groomers, etc. I find that I always look at the bulletin board at my vets while waiting our turn. Bet other folks do so too. Last time I was in I saw a post about dog training - positive reinforcement that I was very interested in. But all that is gone now with covid. Still maybe some vets like mine limit to 3 folks in the office at any one time. So I am still reading those bulletin boards. Fingers crossed that you get some business soon. That would be so helpful to you I am sure. ((HUGS))

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I have my 15 year old poodle the 9 year old Jack Russell and the Sphynx cat, but Wilson is still in Palm Springs with my son and his fiancee'. I miss him, but I know he is having the time of his life, hiking every day, sleeping on the human bed, and being showered with toys and attention. I make them bring him home to get groomed, but they pick him up as soon as I am finished. Even though I have a full house I completely understand about being lonely without a dog.I still want to commend you for making the right decision for Sisko. Sailor15.030.jpg Stella.Naughty.039.jpg Poinsettia.pets.039.jpg

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,702 Posts
Yeah, the holidays were a distraction. Thank you. That is really important, and I don't have that headspace right now to be honest. Thank you. School is going well, but I start in March, but I have been re-learning math, and it's going well.
I think it's great that you recognize that. Many of us on this forum have waited years and even decades to make sure we were in the right place to support sharing our lives with animals -- far longer than you will need to wait. Roger Ebert, a famous movie critic who you probably don't recall, waited his whole life. Despite money and connections, he knew he didn't have the time to devote to a dog, so he never got one, going through life with a dog-sized hole in his heart. I don't recommend that. As others have said, if you're a dog person, you're not quite a person without a dog.

But you've got other big changes coming up - school, the end of the pandemic (knock wood), and aren't you planning to move next year? Lots to focus on.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Thank you. It's really hard. How long were you in a dog free home? What do you think was the hardest part about not having a dog around?
About 7 or 8 years, with the exception of 8 months where a roommate had a dog? I went away for university, then lived alone working, and couldn't afford a dog and then didn't have time for one. I took full advantage of my parents' dogs when I visited though, and occasionally borrowed dogs to take them for walks.

I think it's lonely without a dog. I was living alone, and often wouldn't talk at all until long after I was at work or school. I also don't like walking alone, and get a lot more exercise with a dog.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts