Poodle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just printed out the entry for our June trials. I feel like it is time (Otter IS 5 now:p), but he has never seen turf, and have not been in a ring since Che's RAE2 (Before RACH even existed) and I still cannot leave his side to walk a course-trainer lets me take him along as I walko_O) Feel I am familiar enough with signs that if I watch others, I can get the gist.. have no idea of the judge -wish it was someone with whom I am familiar. Been at this since age 12, but now feel like the first time again! There is a match the weekend before (I am working the ring rental the club has, so can't take him then)

The big hesitation-My mama said, if you aren't gonna win, don't bother to play:eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
At the risk of insulting your mama on Mother's Day Weekend...take the long view here. Maybe you won't win this weekend. Maybe it will be a fiasco. Maybe your dog will pee in the ring or you will forget the meaning of the signs or your dog will yap incessantly or you will forget to pack a sandwich. The next day you will wake up, pet your dog, and have some things to work on.

How about setting a few goals for the weekend? Get some ring experience for the dog. I don't know anything about Rally, is there a particular move that you have been working with your dog? Maybe a sign that you think the two of you can nail? Make it through the weekend without throwing up? Have the dog settle in the crate for 30 minutes (or 10 or 2)? Build on this experience so you can earn the ribbons in the July trial.

Your mama may be right, but YOU define the win.

·
Premium Member
25,371 Posts
Hey Martha I think I showed to the rally judge once. Since he is from Texas (I think) he probably isn't in the Northeast too often. It was not the best, but also far from the worst time I have had in a rally ring. As long as you can get someone to help keep Otter a bit on the chill side while you walk I am sure you will be fine. It is on leash and as long as you don't have tons of tight leashes it will be okay. Novice signs are not all that hard and not all that different from the old days.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
The big hesitation-My mama said, if you aren't gonna win, don't bother to play:eek:
If you followed that advice you would never get out of bed. Think of all the fun you would miss not taking chances.

I would think your goal is not a Q but to just be there with the crowd and getting him comfortable with the process of showing. A second goal is getting yourself comfortable with showing a different dog - Otter instead of Che.

I have a group of scent work students that I'm preparing to compete in upcoming trials. I'm setting courses of the type they can expect in the ring. But I'm also setting expectations and helping them focus on 2-3 small details instead of whether or not they get a Q and to not worry about placement ribbons. If you have 2-3 small goals that you achieve or are happy with what you did - then you win and can leave the ring happy and cheering on your dog. It's our hobby to participate in dog sports. It's our responsibility to make it fun for our dogs too. When you take care of those little details, the Q's will come.

Whether you earn a Q or not - all of us here will cheer on team Otter for getting out there and trying.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I filled out the entry form-didn't mail it yet, but...Catherine, I would feel much better were the judge Karen Wrey!;) Also just saw a video of my Sunday trainer winning her CD w/3 HITs...this is where I want to be, and I cannot HOPE to attain that level with this WildMan:p. Does not help that we never practice on lead, either, I suppose:(.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Tell you what...

I am currently procrastinating on submitting Annie's entry for her last leg of CRN... We did her other two in a location familiar to us, but this will be a bunch of people I don't know and a facility we don't know, and we haven't been in classes since last year, and I don't want to drive that far, and what if I spend all that money and we don't Q... And ... well (more excuses).

If you submit yours, I'll submit mine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts