Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically since job hunting is proving to be like, incredibly difficult I've made a deal with my mom.

I've been searching in the paper, tossing in my resume left and right, hunting on craigslist and google..and calling back for check ups on my apps. I haven't landed even one stinking interview.

So I asked mom if for the time being while I'm job hunting if I could work as her personal assistant and assist her with her errands, shopping, and house cleaning. (This doesn't include how I will be assisting her during her recovery time after surgery.)

She said yes :)So this is pretty nice I'll finally have some little, not a lot but at least a LITTLE money flow coming in while I'm searching.

Definitely putting that petty cash into savings for a car and using some for my laptop/phone payment.

Maybe with the little bits I get I can get a car and heighten my job possibilities as in then I'd be able to even be a pizza delivery person LOL

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yea! I'm so excited for you. This will be such a big help for your Mom too. I'm sure she may have been wondering how to get some things done, especially after her surgery. Now she won't have to worry.

You might even find that you want to be someone else's assistant when time permits. Just an idea. You could think of some things you like to do and put an ad in the classifieds.

For instance: If you like walking dogs, put an ad saying that you are available during (insert days/hours) and that you are willing to go to (insert area you want to cover). Without a car, you could let neighbors know. Perhaps in a neighborhood flyer or webpage.

I know it's easy to come up with ideas. I'm sure you can come up with something that best fits what you would actually work for you.

Wishing you the best in your search. Don't let the no interview thing bother you either. It's tough getting an interview.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I know walking dogs would be cold this time of year (and maybe takes a little more time than you have with all the stuff at home) but I've been told by groomers around here that they could keep my friend (who looked into it) busy because she had a long list of people wanting dog walkers and vacation sitters...that's a thought. Glad you have a good option with your mom. :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I agree if you live in a decent size city dog walkers can make decent money. Especially if you can get yourself certified in pet first-aid, etc..

If I had to work really long hours i'd gladly pay someone to take care of my pets for me so that they didn't have to be crated for so many hours every day.

Also boarding fascilities are horrible places for animals to catch kennel-cough and all sorts of other horrible things. I've always used an in-home pet sitter for my pups when I have to leave. Luckily except for once or twice i've been able to take the dogs with me but a reliable in-home pet sitter is a life saver.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'd certainly love to be able to pay somebody to come and take Saleen and Jazz out for a walk about now. Too bad you don't live somewhere where it would be easy for you to do.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I thought job hunting in OZ was bad, looks like its everywhere.

Sorry you are having a terrible time getting a job MSH, but really glad your mum is giving you a start. Well done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts