Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who feels like slapping some people who make this claim? I'm sorry but if your dog is outside on a chain freezing it's butt off and you call that love, I feel sorry for your spouse and kids. I had the tv on while cleaning today and Judge Mathis was on. This woman who claims her neighbors dogs are loose all the time, said the dogs were able to climb the fence b/c of a snow drift and attacked her dog. She had pictures of her dog and it looked like a pit or bull mastiff mix to me, so not built for winter weather. If your neighbor lets her "mean dogs" run loose "all the time," why you leave your dog outside by itself anyway? and on a chain where it can't escape! The claim that she loves him just put me over the edge.

I had a neighbor who had several puppies (all lived on chains 24/7 and all were large breed even though her son was afraid of dogs) during the time she lived here, one after another, and threw her sister's cat (and her kittens) out of the garage b/c sis moved. She told me the same thing one time, "I love my animals." WTF!?! (The cat moved her kittens into my garage and I had to catch them and take all but one kitten to the HS. My mom still has Esmi, the meanest kitten who stood no chance of being adopted.)

It didn't help my mood any to hear Judge Mathis claim that pitbulls and Rottweilers are the kind of dogs thugs have. I guess that makes me a thug and I need to trade in my cowboy boots and erase Willie Nelson off my iPod.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You are not the only one. I hate when people say this, yet leave there dogs to wander the streets with no attention, or chained up. This is especially dangerous here in Miami, since the summers can get pretty hot. Without proper shelter and water it would be only a matter of time before a dog gets heat stroke.

Thank god they made tethering your dog without supervision illegal in my county. If I ever see a dog on a chain alone, I write down the address and report them.

When people make claims like "I love my animals" yet their actions say otherwise...it's hypocrisy.

And Judge Mathis is a case of plan ignorance.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
People think that having a big yard for their dogs is a good thing, so the dogs can run out around it and whatnot, and they think having a dog in a small apartment is a bad thing. Uh.. how? The people that have the dog in the apartment are with the dog when the dogs inside, and GO OUT with the dog when it needs to go to the bathroom. Whereas the dogs that have a 'big backyard' have a big lonely backyard.. =/

There's a house across the street that has a doggy door for their yorkies though.. the little brats hear me from a mile away though and dart out the door and to the fence to bark at me when I get home, lol, they're well loved and taken care of though.

I don't see the point in having a dog if you're just going to keep it locked up outside though? What really peeves me is when they have them in those fenced chain link kennels with just a tarp over the top and a dog house. I wonder how many times that dog forgot to get fed or given fresh water =/

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
It didn't help my mood any to hear Judge Mathis claim that pitbulls and Rottweilers are the kind of dogs thugs have. I guess that makes me a thug and I need to trade in my cowboy boots and erase Willie Nelson off my iPod.
I have a rant about this of my own ...... Every time We take Enzo out , certain people ask us what type of dog is he and its not because he is red :eek:hwell:

Im like if kids know what he is how come you don't know ? don't you see the cuffs and rosettes ? lol

Sorry Im not limited to rotties and pit bulls because you think that lol

But Agree people can be stupid. why say that if you do such things to your dog ? thats like leaving you kids outside all day in the snow chained up knowing you have a neighbor with an aggressive dog that can get to them. I don't think people would believe you if you said I love my kids ......

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a rant about this of my own ...... Every time We take Enzo out , certain people ask us what type of dog is he and its not because he is red :eek:hwell:

Im like if kids know what he is how come you don't know ? don't you see the cuffs and rosettes ? lol

Sorry Im not limited to rotties and pit bulls because you think that lol

But Agree people can be stupid. why say that if you do such things to your dog ? thats like leaving you kids outside all day in the snow chained up knowing you have a neighbor with an aggressive dog that can get to them. I don't think people would believe you if you said I love my kids ......
I'm not following you there. I had a girl at a drive thru gush over Harley, tell me wants to be a vet and then ask me what kind of dog he was. The whole time he wagging his tail, hoping to get something yummy. Then she told me "Oh those are mean right?" when I told he was a Rottweiler. Something tells me she's not smart enought to make to vet school.:doh: (We can all hope anyway.)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I'm not following you there. I had a girl at a drive thru gush over Harley, tell me wants to be a vet and then ask me what kind of dog he was. The whole time he wagging his tail, hoping to get something yummy. Then she told me "Oh those are mean right?" when I told he was a Rottweiler. Something tells me she's not smart enought to make to vet school.:doh: (We can all hope anyway.)
I was referring to the color of my skin. I apparently some people are amazed that a black Woman would have a poodle and not some pit bull or rottweiler.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I don't believe anyone can honestly say they love their dog if its chained outside, I might be able to get having an outside dog if you develop allergies but to chain it outside with a log chain is just AWFUL
our neighbor has their Shepard mix chained with this log chain I couldn't even attempt to pick up

People are dumb though...I had someone today at the pet store ask me why I had a big poodle that I should have one of those tiny ones that go in a purse
((This was EXTRA insulting because of my sexual orientation everyone assumes that my poodle should be little not big... v.v; ))

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I had someone today at the pet store ask me why I had a big poodle that I should have one of those tiny ones that go in a purse
You could just say that someday you'll have ALL the different sizes!! That's what Katy wants to do someday... I told her, FINE, once she has a place of her own! :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
People are dumb though...I had someone today at the pet store ask me why I had a big poodle that I should have one of those tiny ones that go in a purse
((This was EXTRA insulting because of my sexual orientation everyone assumes that my poodle should be little not big... v.v; ))
What?! Were you wearing a special sexual orientation uniform?

I didnt know that people of different races,genders and orientations had specific breeds assigned to them LOL

When I met my husband I had my boxer/bulldog/pit mix and he had 2 standard poodles :wacko: just because you have a certain type of dog, doesn't mean you have to be stereotyped psssht
and any way a poodle's a poodle- doesnt matter the size lol

·
Registered
875 Posts
more on topic...

My favorite people of all are the "my dog don't bite" people.

I have stopped being all nicey nice about it, and just tell them, yes your dog can and will bite, but the question is how far can he be pushed til he will

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Someone actually said to me that he would love to get a poodle, but his wife thinks he should get a more masculine dog.

Where do people get these stupid ideas?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
People are stupid to think you should have a type of dog regardless of what you look like.

My friends were SHOCKED that I wanted a poodle. They almost seemed offended or weirded out.
They've known me with my heart dog, a husky/wolf hybrid (LONG story, I don't ever condone hybrids, he was a very special case rescue) and the greyhound (our Cavalier is my husband's dog, really).

Apparently poodles aren't 'punk rock' enough. Whatever, I could give my dog a [email protected] mohawk!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
My friends were SHOCKED that I wanted a poodle. They almost seemed offended or weirded out.
Same here! But without even owning them I've been slowly converting a few close friends and family members to poodleism.

My dad, who's a hunting, beer drinking, huge truck redneck to the T who's my absolute best friend, would totally own a poodle over any lab as a retriever after I told him about the breed. He's as psyched as I am to get my pup. ^^

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I do have to say, just because your dog lives outside on a chain doesn't mean you don't love them. While quite a bit of people who DO treat their dogs like this do not respect their dogs' lives, there are those families that do and would do anything for their dogs.

Growing up, we had a cocker spaniel that couldn't be trusted outside as she would dig out just for the hell of it. She couldn't live inside because no matter how much my mother trained, she would pee and poop inside, as well as tear up anything she could. Our sweet lady could not be tamed! She was chained outside once we moved, but she had a dog house, blankets, and never went without food, water, or attention. As soon as we got home from school, my brother and I would go outside, unclip her from the chain and let her run around while we untangled it, because she ALWAYS tangled that damn thing up.

I think making that broad statement of "anyone who chains up their dog doesn't love them" is an ignorant move, as there are people in the world that do love their dogs but obviously can not do anything else. Chaining Cinder up was for her own safety, as she - like I said - would dig out... having her chained up while she wasn't under supervision was safer than her running the streets and meeting a nasty end with a car. Not to mention that Cinder would have rather been outside than in any day.

In her old old age, she lived inside, and would constantly make her way to the back door and cry to go out because that is where she wanted to be. Her potty breaks outside lasted hours because she loved to just go lay in the grass. If it was hot, she would dig a hole in the shade and lay in the cool dirt, if it was cold, she made herself a comfy hole in her blankets and would go to sleep in her dog house. If it got way too cold, we brought her in and she would sleep in the laundry room after playing inside while everyone was awake. She was far from neglected.

I think if you are going to mention things like this you need to be specific as to what you are saying.

I grew up in a household where we learned that pets were not pets, they were family members. Each person in my family lives like this today. Our animals are spoiled and loved. Hell, my parents spent thousands of dollars trying to save our first greyhound after she had a stroke. I think they paid around 7 thousand for us to have only another year with her, but every minute and penny was worth it. Cinder had heartworms - we were unfamiliar with these as we lived in a state that didn't have them, and moved to a state that had them - at an old age, and the vet told us it would be cheaper and easier to put her to sleep because she probably wouldn't live through the treatment because of her age... we did the treatment anyway, to give her a chance to live, and she did. It can not be said that we did not and do not love our dogs. Don't believe me if you don't want to, but I do honestly believe it is an ignorant thing to say when there are people in the world that do love their dogs have to chain them up for their own good. She wanted to be outside. She was happy being outside. The only way for her to be happy and outside was to put her on a chain when she was alone so that she would be safe and not get out.

I'm repeating myself, but I feel that I almost have to to get my point across, seeing as I am sure there are people not going to believe/agree with me on this.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
What?! Were you wearing a special sexual orientation uniform?

I didnt know that people of different races,genders and orientations had specific breeds assigned to them LOL

When I met my husband I had my boxer/bulldog/pit mix and he had 2 standard poodles :wacko: just because you have a certain type of dog, doesn't mean you have to be stereotyped psssht
and any way a poodle's a poodle- doesnt matter the size lol
hahaha I must have been
I didn't really ask him why he said it xD

on a happier note I almost adopted another standard this morning!! ((shes pending a home now =[ ))

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Am I the only one who feels like slapping some people who make this claim? I'm sorry but if your dog is outside on a chain freezing it's butt off and you call that love, I feel sorry for your spouse and kids. I had the tv on while cleaning today and Judge Mathis was on. This woman who claims her neighbors dogs are loose all the time, said the dogs were able to climb the fence b/c of a snow drift and attacked her dog. She had pictures of her dog and it looked like a pit or bull mastiff mix to me, so not built for winter weather. If your neighbor lets her "mean dogs" run loose "all the time," why you leave your dog outside by itself anyway? and on a chain where it can't escape! The claim that she loves him just put me over the edge.

I had a neighbor who had several puppies (all lived on chains 24/7 and all were large breed even though her son was afraid of dogs) during the time she lived here, one after another, and threw her sister's cat (and her kittens) out of the garage b/c sis moved. She told me the same thing one time, "I love my animals." WTF!?! (The cat moved her kittens into my garage and I had to catch them and take all but one kitten to the HS. My mom still has Esmi, the meanest kitten who stood no chance of being adopted.)

Yeah it amazes me as well, I honestly dont agree with the "chain lifestyle" for any dog - SORRY, JMO. I might get hated for this but I seen a thread not long ago where someone had lost their dog - which I could not imagine and I did feel terrible to hear that. The dog was hit by a car, as tragic as that it - I personally would not go onto a forum of diehard dog lovers (although no one bit on to it) and say we are looking for another already.........Not that the person does not deserve a dog, but maybe not:eek:hwell:.......why was the dog off leash? Alone? If I had seen what was learned from the story, I might have understood better.......but I dought it:doh: - I'm tough sometimes, I was not rude and did not add to it but really thats how I felt.

And sterio-typing (sometimes) is a pain in the ass if your Serious!! Although we all do it in some stupid way, although I joke sometimes only because I'm in HR and I have to have some humer when I am not working with what I deal with sort of in a Chelsea Handler way - yep I like her! I am really glad that we are a diverse group on the forum!! Keith I like you even more!! And Roxy my BF can relate he now has 2 Spoos and @ Poms, plus he is 6'4 - - - I bet I can guess what some of MY neighbors are saying lol.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I do have to say, just because your dog lives outside on a chain doesn't mean you don't love them. While quite a bit of people who DO treat their dogs like this do not respect their dogs' lives, there are those families that do and would do anything for their dogs.

Growing up, we had a cocker spaniel that couldn't be trusted outside as she would dig out just for the hell of it. She couldn't live inside because no matter how much my mother trained, she would pee and poop inside, as well as tear up anything she could. Our sweet lady could not be tamed! She was chained outside once we moved, but she had a dog house, blankets, and never went without food, water, or attention. As soon as we got home from school, my brother and I would go outside, unclip her from the chain and let her run around while we untangled it, because she ALWAYS tangled that damn thing up.

I think making that broad statement of "anyone who chains up their dog doesn't love them" is an ignorant move, as there are people in the world that do love their dogs but obviously can not do anything else. Chaining Cinder up was for her own safety, as she - like I said - would dig out... having her chained up while she wasn't under supervision was safer than her running the streets and meeting a nasty end with a car. Not to mention that Cinder would have rather been outside than in any day.

In her old old age, she lived inside, and would constantly make her way to the back door and cry to go out because that is where she wanted to be. Her potty breaks outside lasted hours because she loved to just go lay in the grass. If it was hot, she would dig a hole in the shade and lay in the cool dirt, if it was cold, she made herself a comfy hole in her blankets and would go to sleep in her dog house. If it got way too cold, we brought her in and she would sleep in the laundry room after playing inside while everyone was awake. She was far from neglected.

I think if you are going to mention things like this you need to be specific as to what you are saying.

I grew up in a household where we learned that pets were not pets, they were family members. Each person in my family lives like this today. Our animals are spoiled and loved. Hell, my parents spent thousands of dollars trying to save our first greyhound after she had a stroke. I think they paid around 7 thousand for us to have only another year with her, but every minute and penny was worth it. Cinder had heartworms - we were unfamiliar with these as we lived in a state that didn't have them, and moved to a state that had them - at an old age, and the vet told us it would be cheaper and easier to put her to sleep because she probably wouldn't live through the treatment because of her age... we did the treatment anyway, to give her a chance to live, and she did. It can not be said that we did not and do not love our dogs. Don't believe me if you don't want to, but I do honestly believe it is an ignorant thing to say when there are people in the world that do love their dogs have to chain them up for their own good. She wanted to be outside. She was happy being outside. The only way for her to be happy and outside was to put her on a chain when she was alone so that she would be safe and not get out.

I'm repeating myself, but I feel that I almost have to to get my point across, seeing as I am sure there are people not going to believe/agree with me on this.
If it's the best situation and the dog is not stuck in the elements they cannot control, then some situations may be understandable, you should speak your opinion:) I'm just not a fan of dogs on chains liek FS said 24/7....

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I agree with olie spencer!
in your situation it worked out ^_^

but in alot of the cases I've seen they don't work out like that =\
my neighbor uses a log chain for their dog...I can't imagine the strain that poor animal has on its neck all the time
I don't even think it has straw let alone a blanket in its box =[
((and I wouldn't be brave enough to take it a blanket...hes a pretty ferocious dog))

haha thank you Olie xD
it does seem like a pretty diverse population on this forum!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts