Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some good shampoos/conditioners that are easily attainable and arent too expensive and smell descent? Thanks

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I am still sorting all of that out between what is recommended and what is reasonably affordable. At the show we attended, we talked to a woman grooming her poodles and asked her about that. She told us she took grooming classes and that she was told to bathe the dogs in Palmolive dish soap!! Now, there is one I have never heard before!!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Are you wanting something you can order easily online or shop at a big chain store? I LOVE the chris christensen products on my own dogs. I use the white on white for the pyrenees and the regular shampoo as well and I love it. They also have different variations for black and dark coats and red as well. I think even one for gold colored coats.

As far as easy to buy in a local store I like the shampoos Petco has been starting to sell.

I LOVE tropiclean! It smells AMAZING! It also makes Vega's coat very shiney and easy to comb through.

I really like the earthbath products as well, they smell really good. The Halo products are nice as well. In fact I use the herbal ear wash made by Halo, the shampoo now and then and the Halo Dream Coat supplement which i've heard from several groomers helps with coat growth and making coats shiny.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I LOVE tropiclean! It smells AMAZING! It also makes Vega's coat very shiney and easy to comb through.
I've reccently rediscovered tropiclean, they seem to have re-made the brand. I find it in a lot of the petstores here and it DOES smell nice :)

Honestly unless you are really into showing just about any shampoo will do. What gets the dog clean is the motion of you shampooing the hair not just the shampoo itself.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I agree that the way you are bathing a dog is far more important than the shampoo you are using. I have dogs come into the grooming shop and the only thing I can put on them is either puppy shampoo or sensitive skin or they break out. It's a bit more difficult to really get the dog feeling and looking clean but it's doable.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have also heard about bathing your dogs/cats in dish soap but i heard of using Dawn. Its actually cleans great but it will wipe out all their oils so i wouldnt recommend you use it all too often. Maybe ever couple of baths.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have heard of lots of people using palmolive dish soap on the dogs, but it needs to be fairly diluted. I would recommend Johnson's Baby Shampoo. It's gentle on the skin and safe around the eyes :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I use diluted Dawn dish soap on every dog I groom, even my own. Then I use my shampoo, it cleans better and last longer by using the Dawn first.

I have discovered Quadruped Pet Care & its awesome! Their Yucca shampoos are wonderful and they all dilute down.

Right now I am using a combo of Dawn, Suave & leave in conditioner. They smell good and are clean. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would be very careful using any human shampoo on your dogs, our skins ph levels are different and most of the time human shampoon will really dry out a dogs skin.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The first groom shop I worked in used dawn on the dogs, but it can be a tad harsh on the coat if you aren't careful or bath to often. Anything can be harsh if you use it to often. I have also heard of a lot of people who use the dishsoap as a flea treament. Never heard any mention on diluting it though so I wouldnt know. I used Dawn on Jazz to pull dye out of her hair :) but it dried the coat, so I stopped.

I have heard of a lot of people washing their super itchy dogs in head and shoulders. I have always been a nothing but dog shampoo period type of person, but when my mother started bathing her oldest dog Ike in the H & S I was pleasantly surprised to see that it seemed to work better than anything I had come up with thus far :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Why would you dilute baby shampoo if I may, or for that matter if you were going to use human shampoo?

When I worked at the VET clinic they used baby shampoo undiluted for washing the face on every dog and all over on young dogs or sensatiive skin.

I have tons of clients who use whatever they use to wash their dog's between grooming and so far it doesn't seem to affect them. Of course, I always suggest they use dog shampoo because of it being PH balanced for their skin. I've used my own shampoo in a pinch on my dogs at shows and never once has it dried their skin. I used to groom a poodle for a little old lady who insisted it be washed in panteen, the extra body forumal, every other week. That dog didn't have dry skin either and lord knows that didn't have anything to do with it;s diet. It was eating old roy... Bleh.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I had been using the regular store bought Petsmart products on Eli and Sting for awhile, however, they are more expensive then some of the show products. Im sure there's a FEW good ones but there aren't many other's that I could say the quality match the cost your paying.

Sometimes ordering online is a helpful way to try out some other products too. I'd say try the tropi-clean or Earthsbath from petsmart and see what you think. I dont think you'll find anything better then those in stores.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Some of the shampoos I have used in the pass on my GSD where purepet I love there stuff very good quality products. http://www.purepet.com/ I would also use this on our poodle Maltese mix we had.
I used lambert kay also but only the fresh shampoo it smells so GOOD.
There was another brand petsmart use to have and it was so good like purepet forgot the brand though. I will try to find it.
Jenn is right alot of the show shampoos are cheaper or the same price.

Right now we are using people shampoo on Enzo only natural people shampoos ( you need to know ingredients well before going out to buy some) Giovanni , dr bronner , and a few others I have ( I only use natural shampoos on my hair because of my own hair texture). We wash him with a clairify shampoo first then use regular shampoo.

We tried the CC stuff last night and it did very well. His coat feels softer not sure if we want it that soft but he was so fluffy ! and his coat looked way better.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I say don't worry so much about the texture right now. Puppy coat is going to be softer then adult anyhow. With sting I noticed it just seemed healthier, fuller and moisturized. I used it on eli and his just felt healthier and easier to brush. Not a lot softer. Eli's coat has that soft but dense texture normally.

I'm getting my daily CC's today and sting is due for his weekly bath and blow. I'm trying to really stay on schedule now. Anyhow, ill let you know what I think. Maybe take a few pics too.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I say don't worry so much about the texture right now. Puppy coat is going to be softer then adult anyhow. With sting I noticed it just seemed healthier, fuller and moisturized. I used it on eli and his just felt healthier and easier to brush. Not a lot softer. Eli's coat has that soft but dense texture normally.

I'm getting my daily CC's today and sting is due for his weekly bath and blow. I'm trying to really stay on schedule now. Anyhow, ill let you know what I think. Maybe take a few pics too.

Yes Enzo's coat feels so full and nice ! I will take a picture later today. I also think my sister had an easier time drying him. She finished faster than usual.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think the shampoo used is less important than actually getting it out of the hair again. Poodle hair seems to hang onto shampoo if you're not careful.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use usually use allergroom purchased from the vet. Or epi-soothe. Thats what works for me. I use baby shampoo on my horses face, in case it does get in his eyes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts