Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sisko has been awesome with behaving, being outside and being more focused on me. Not today....I don't know what it was, but he couldn't pay me any mind, he was pulling, and he went crazy! He was just trying to get to my food even though I'm right here with it!! He has not been a fun dog today 馃槩馃槩馃槩 and I don't know how to turn it around馃槩馃槩 I just want to stay away from him today.

Registered
It's not going to be great every day. We all have those days :). And, you know that once you get annoyed or frustrated, that seeps over to Sisko and doesn't help him recover.
Probably a good thing to try right then is to just take a few minutes break. If you can't be in different areas for a few minutes, just sit or stand quietly with your back to him. Try your best to not respond and see if he doesn't calm down soon. If a strategy doesn't work for a dog, they'll try something else, and will sooner or later, land on the behavior you want from him. Then you can tell him how good he is :)

Premium Member
What food, training treats or your lunch? If he is mugging you to get treats then stop whatever you were working on and put him through his paces on things he knows well and give him treats for his best responses. If he is trying to get your lunch, well why the heck is it in the picture while you are training unless you are prepared to lose it while trying to teach leave it.

If I am working a dog and they go off the rails I will stop for a play break since I often think failures are a sign of stress or lack of understanding. Play helps the dog to release stress and to reconnect to me. Then I can go back to what I was doing in a new way that lets him/her to work through the exercise in parts that will be successful. If you end up being mad then you need to quick do one thing that is successful and stop. No training while mad.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
What food, training treats or your lunch? If he is mugging you to get treats then stop whatever you were working on and put him through his paces on things he knows well and give him treats for his best responses. If he is trying to get your lunch, well why the heck is it in the picture while you are training unless you are prepared to lose it while trying to teach leave it.

If I am working a dog and they go off the rails I will stop for a play break since I often think failures are a sign of stress or lack of understanding. Play helps the dog to release stress and to reconnect to me. Then I can go back to what I was doing in a new way that lets him/her to work through the exercise in parts that will be successful. If you end up being mad then you need to quick do one thing that is successful and stop. No training while mad.
My lunch. I wasn't trying to train him.

Okay馃憤 thank you!

Registered
I remember those days with teenage Misty. 馃様 It seemed like she was never going to learn to behave! Her kennel was a lifesaver, I used to put her there with a chew and let myself stew for a while and anger play Pok茅mon, lol. It鈥檚 normal to want a break (sometimes, I still do!). Keep at it, you鈥檙e a very good dog trainer 馃榿.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
馃様 that's how I feel with Sisko sometimes. Lol. Do you play pok茅mon go or the ones from Gameboy? How old are you? I'm 22 and still play Pok茅mon when I have nothing better to do. It's entertaining!!! I have Emerald Version, but looking to get some more. Thank you!!馃槶馃榿 how old is Misty now?

Registered
I used to play Pok茅mon Go with my family on walks (still think that the summer it came out was some sort of amazing mass dream, lol). I don't like posting my actual age on the internet, but we're close to the same age! Started out as a kid with a used copy of Pok茅mon Ruby, and still have the cartridge, I think. Hoenn is the best region, IMHO, although Pok茅mon X and Y, and Black and White were great, too, if you want to pick up a copy of either of those. Did you know they made remakes of Ruby and Sapphire? At risk of getting off topic, what was your starter Pok茅mon? Mine was Mudkip! Misty is 9 years old now. She was a real pain to train to do anything. Fluffy felt like a piece of cake after her 馃槀.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I used to play Pok茅mon Go with my family on walks (still think that the summer it came out was some sort of amazing mass dream, lol). I don't like posting my actual age on the internet, but we're close to the same age! Started out as a kid with a used copy of Pok茅mon Ruby, and still have the cartridge, I think. Hoenn is the best region, IMHO, although Pok茅mon X and Y, and Black and White were great, too, if you want to pick up a copy of either of those. Did you know they made remakes of Ruby and Sapphire? At risk of getting off topic, what was your starter Pok茅mon? Mine was Mudkip! Misty is 9 years old now. She was a real pain to train to do anything. Fluffy felt like a piece of cake after her 馃槀.
Awesome!! Yeah, me too. Okay馃憤. Started out with Silver Version and moved on from there. I stopped at Gen 3 pok茅mon games. Hmmm馃 I might have to do that. No I didn't! They're just as good?? I have always had Mudkip. Awww, she doesn't look 9! I wonder if it will be the same with me and Sisko馃

1 - 8 of 8 Posts