Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my miniature poodle was spayed two days ago. I put an Elizabethan collar on her so she wouldn't pull the stitches out, but she will not stop crying. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
She could be crying in pain, or she could be crying because she just doesnt like the collar. If she is on pain meds and seems comfortable, then i wouldnt worry. She is just voicing her displeasure at being made to wear a lampshade. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No! They didn't give me any medication for her. Should they have? I feel clueless because she's my first dog.

I feel terrible. Is there anything else I can do for her? All the vet told me was to keep her inactive for three days.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yeah I think they usually send home pain meds. I kept mine on them for 3 days until she perked up. I can't imagine how painful that surgery is for them without meds.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
None of my dogs as of recent had pain meds or antibiotics, many years ago I had a my dog spayed and the Vet gave both. I was put off by it as well. Crying non stop does not seem right to me at all. I would call the Vet, they will give you medicine. Have you tried taking the ecollar off to see if she bnothers her stiches? I may even be that. Poor baby.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
None of my dogs as of recent had pain meds or antibiotics, many years ago I had a my dog spayed and the Vet gave both. I was put off by it as well. Crying non stop does not seem right to me at all. I would call the Vet, they will give you medicine. Have you tried taking the ecollar off to see if she bnothers her stiches? I may even be that. Poor baby.
I would not recommend taking the e-collar off. You do not want her to lick or pick at the stitches... (especially if she's in pain) and if she's crying I doubt that an e-collar would be the cause. An e-collar might be uncomfortable, but not enough to make a dog cry incessantly IMO.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would not recommend taking the e-collar off. You do not want her to lick or pick at the stitches... (especially if she's in pain) and if she's crying I doubt that an e-collar would be the cause. An e-collar might be uncomfortable, but not enough to make a dog cry incessantly IMO.
Some dogs dont bother their stiches mine did not - not all are the same:eek:hwell:

Anyway if she is bothering the stiches of course put it back on, but the e-collar can bug her more then the stiches, you need to feel that out and see what works for her.:)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
No pain meds and keep her inactive for ONLY 3 DAYS??!! We send home pain meds for 5 days, and tell people restricted activity for 10 days! I agree that you should call your vet and request pain meds. Try taking the collar off only when you are with her, 100% supervised. Alot of times the collar does make them cry. How does her incision actually look? Any redness, puffy, oozing, swelling, etc?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have had many (100+) a dog and cat spayed/neutered and not one has gone home with pain meds. Most dogs are perfectly fine after a couple of days of rest after surgery and the majority of cats are fine from the get go.

I would suggest you call your Vet and explain whats going on.

Is she is just sitting and whining, scratching at the collar?

Most dogs in pain after a spay will ball them selves up/shake/seam lethargic.

Anyway call the Vet and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys.

So I called the vet and took Coco to see him. He said her incision and everything looked fine and I asked him for pain meds, which he gave her. She seems to be doing better now--she definitely isn't crying as much, and she's much calmer.

Thank you guys so much for your advice. After what you said, I think I'm going to switch vets.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I have had many (100+) a dog and cat spayed/neutered and not one has gone home with pain meds. Most dogs are perfectly fine after a couple of days of rest after surgery and the majority of cats are fine from the get go.

I would suggest you call your Vet and explain whats going on.

Is she is just sitting and whining, scratching at the collar?

Most dogs in pain after a spay will ball them selves up/shake/seam lethargic.

Anyway call the Vet and see what they have to say.
Finally I'm not alone on this lol!

I am glad she's feeling better. But I agree with the last few posts they should have lots of down time the next 2 weeks thats what I have always been told - complete downtime for at least 3 days and slow work up over the next 10.. It is hard to keep them from jumping on furniture because she will feel better in the next couple of days but they can really hurt themselves. Maybe tether her to you so you can keep a closer eye on her. Yeah I have changed Vets once and sometimes it's needed. Goodluck with that. So happy she's calming down.

·
Registered
546 Posts
you might want to try the Comfy Cone:

http://www.petco.com/product/108491/All-Four-Paws-Black-Comfy-Cone.aspx

I got one for Snoops when he was neutered and it was much better than that plastic e-collar that I paid the vets 10 bucks for. It went straight into the bin!

Snoops actually didn't wear the cone very much.. if I was around I just watched him to make sure he didn't lick the stitches. He pretty well just wore it at bedtime when I couldn't watch after him. I would hate to have that thing around my head 24/7!

Hope your baby gets better soon... did you consider maybe she is having an allergic reaction to anesthetic? stitches? etc?

·
Registered
268 Posts
No pain meds and keep her inactive for ONLY 3 DAYS??!! We send home pain meds for 5 days, and tell people restricted activity for 10 days! I agree that you should call your vet and request pain meds. Try taking the collar off only when you are with her, 100% supervised. Alot of times the collar does make them cry. How does her incision actually look? Any redness, puffy, oozing, swelling, etc?
Yea, I just had Cozi,my mini, spayed last week as well. She was given 10 days of antibiotics and 5 days of pain meds. Does your puppy cry when she is out with you??? Cozi cried but only when she was in her crate, which lead me to believe she was just annoyed with the cone. As soon as I took her out, she was all smiles and wanting to play.

It's definitely sounds like your pup might be in pain....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts