Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mister is on Orijen and has been for months now and his ears are always so gross. They arent red but really really gunky, one ear more than the other but both have a fair amount of dark wax. His eyes are also strating to tear again which makes me think that his tummy is upset.
I just dont understand it. I thought maybe it was the chicken in the adult formula so i switched to the 6 fish with no difference.

Im switching my senior lady to honest kitchen and thinking ill just put him on it too....they have a dehydrated one called preference thats only veggies and fruits then i add my own meat. Im thinking ill put Mister on it too. It just cant feel good to have all that gunk in his ears all the time. His skin and coat are good, no liking or scratching going on. I think i just need a more basic diet....what do you think?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't know he might just be a waxy eared dog. I know with the ear hair as long as his is, there is little air circulating through the canal and that will cause build up there. Harry had the long ears and the tons of wax build up and after I shaved his ears, he has had nice clean ears since. It was a miracle cure. I pluck out what I can with fingers but I don't get crazy with pulling out every single ear hair. Mia is pretty waxy and she's been that way since I got her. I know when it's time to clean her ears by the smell. I thought she had an infection and the vet said nope just waxy ears. He thinks it's the breed in general.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I agree that it could just be him. Have you tried a round of ear medication just to be sure from the vet? Riley even on basic raw will get debris. Generally about 2 weeks after i clean his ears he will get buildup again.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Lucy's ears used to have frequent gunky brown junk that always seemed wet and "squishy". I changed her from the food she was on (which wasn't bad, but I think it did have rice and chicken; which I was told could be the cause of allergic reactions) and started her on the **** Van Patten's Natural Balance (the fish and sweet potato recipe - it's the stinkiest, but it's the one she liked the best. they also have bison, venison, duck, etc. so the protein source isn't likely to cause the allergic reactions as some more common proteins.)

After about 2 months on this new food, her ears are clean, dry - BEAUTIFUL! She no longer shakes her head all the time and isn't as sensitive to me cleaning and plucking as she had been when they were gunky all the time. It really did work wonders for her!

Good luck on finding the right remedy for your guy!!

ETA: SOOOOOO FUNNY!!! Do you see the little stars in my post above?? It's because I tried to type the actual first name of this guy's food - his first name is an abbreviation for Richard, but the forum doesn't let you type words like sh!t, a$$, or d!ck without censoring them into little stars, but you can type bitch all day and the forum gods don't care!!! :lol: :pound: HAAA!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have you tried a different food? Maybe a different protein base will help.

My mini boy has always had problems. No amount of cleaning would fix it, I even chopped off all his ear fur and that didn't help. Using *drying* powders didnt work. I eventually found out it was due to ear infections. Had the vet do a thorough clean when he was neutered two weeks ago and we havent had a problem since. They also.. have mites... which is a really uncommon problems for dogs.

I also use an alcohol, boric acid, and gentian violet mix (also know as Blue Power Wash) to clean out ears.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris has one ear at the moment that's dirty, but it's nothign more than 'dirty'. I mean, it's not an infection at this point, so I'm keeping ontop of it. I have been keeping it cleaned out regularly, but it is still coming back with lots of ear wax again. I normally don't worry about plucking her ears clean, but have been slowly plucking this one totally clean cos every time I get a bit more out, it stays a bit cleaner! I'm doing it over the past week or so and only doing a little bit at a time (I don't want to risk taking a heap out and setting an infection in!) but for now, plucking that one ear totally clean is what is helping it the most... Her other ear is hairy-ish and clean and fine tho! lol.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
PLUM LMAO - it took me a sec. to put appropriate **** in the place but than I just bursted laughing, LMAO - this is soooo hilarious !!!!!!

ONLY you can "discover" something like that LMAO ...only you dear SugarPlum ROFL :hug:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Zu's ears are gross too, i had my vet look at them and she said that they were not infected, but they did have a big plug of hair deep inside, past where i could reach, thay are taking it out when she gets spayed

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yeast is usually (but not always) the culprit in ear infections. I would switch to a grain free diet to see if that helps get rid of the "gunk" (that may not be an infection yet, but soon could be). Yeast feeds on sugar (our bodies convert carb/grains to sugar).

·
Registered
752 Posts
There's a really smelly powder called Thorn-it that I use in Liberty and Cosita's ears whenever they start smelling a little funky, start producing more gunk than normal, or if I accidentally got water in there. You only need a teensy bit...I just dust a q-tip in it and rub it around in there. The package has lasted me years. It's canker powder, and balances the bacteria in the ear. It's commonly used in Europe from what I hear. We haven't had one single ear problem for almost five years... since I started using it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There's a really smelly powder called Thorn-it that I use in Liberty and Cosita's ears whenever they start smelling a little funky, start producing more gunk than normal, or if I accidentally got water in there. You only need a teensy bit...I just dust a q-tip in it and rub it around in there. The package has lasted me years. It's canker powder, and balances the bacteria in the ear. It's commonly used in Europe from what I hear. We haven't had one single ear problem for almost five years... since I started using it.
Where did you get this powder? I would be very interested :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I also use an alcohol, boric acid, and gentian violet mix (also know as Blue Power Wash) to clean out ears.
LOVE this!!!
I was hesitant at first, but It really works!!!

the recipe I used was 1 bottle (16 oz) of alcohol, 4 TBS of boric acid, and 14 drops of Gentian violet.

you put the boric acid and gentian violet in the bottle with the alcohol and shake it til its mixed.

I used a shampoo mixing bottle, but you could also use a water bottle with a squeeze top to apply it.

you have to shake it each time you use it.
If you google "blue power ear wash" you will get dosage instructions.

His eyes tearing are most likely directly linked to his ears being gooky

·
Registered
752 Posts
Where did you get this powder? I would be very interested :)
I got mine on ebay. It ships from England, but really the shipping isn't that much, it arrived quickly, and one small container lasts years and years. I figure it's saved us a ton in vet bills and the misery of ear problems. Here's a link: thornit
It says its for mites, but it also reallllly works for balancing bacteria, and preventing ear infections.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I got mine on ebay. It ships from England, but really the shipping isn't that much, it arrived quickly, and one small container lasts years and years. I figure it's saved us a ton in vet bills and the misery of ear problems. Here's a link: thornit
It says its for mites, but it also reallllly works for balancing bacteria, and preventing ear infections.
Thank you :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mister is already on a grain free food so grains arent the culprit. Yeast could be but i dont know what from....i have my other dog on the NB but i like the quality of Orijen and how the ingredients are handled before the food is made. Maybe i just need to give the fish formula a little longer to work or maybe his ears are just gunky and produce more wax than im used to seeing on dogs lol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the worse time with my previous spoo. 3 different vets, many many different medications, home remedies etc. nothing worked. I finally found a vet that told me he needed a deep ear flush. They have to be put to sleep for this so I had his teeth cleaned at the same time and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Good luck with your babies ears.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use the blue power ear wash too! it's really easy to make and very inexpensive. Mochi had ear problems for the first 2 months which we got her. The drops which the vet gave us cleared up the infection in one ear only, but the yeast in the other ear was too stubborn. We stopped using the vet drops since she seemed to be building tolerance to it and switched the blue power and about 2 weeks later - no more problems. We have to keep on top of it tho, wiping out her ears every 3 days or so even if they appear to be clean.

Also, i give her a generous tablespoon of greek strained yogurt with natural probiotics each day. This also seemed to help clear out her eye gunk/ear gunk after about a month.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts