Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, "Beppo" is a 5 months old silver boy standard pup, and I am his dad :) He is the sweetest boy and everyone adores him. After I brought him home from the breeder 2 months ago, I fed him Wellness puppy formula, then after a short while, he stopped eating it. So I switched to Solid Gold Wolf Pup, same thing happened. Then I started Innova Puppy, and in which I had high hope because their Evo line is great. He initially loved it, but after 4 weeks he completely stopped eating it. After 3 days without eating regular meals, today I bought Chicken Soup for Dog Puppy. I mixed 1/2 Innova and 1/2 Chicken Soup, and the smart boy only ate the Chicken Soup and spitted out the Innova! I am afraid that he will eventually stop eating chicken soup. So what's gonna happen when I run out of options? I can get him on BARF diet, but it's time consuming. Kibble is just so easy :p Has any of you had this problem?

·
Registered
843 Posts
He probably stops eating after a while,because he knows daddy will bring home something different.
If he is healthy he will not starve.
Pick one good quality food and stick with it,possibly adding some canned food.
That will allow you to get different flavours without buying a new bag of kibble each time.
Better yet...add some healthy human food...yogurt,cottage cheese etc.,just to get him interested.
I have Gunther on Wellness 'Core',which is a low grain,high protein kibble and he does very well on it.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Blue Buffalo Puppy fixed my brother's picky dogs appetite... he eats it only now.

(IT's what we've always fed moose)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I agree with spoofan, dog's learn pretty quickly to be picky if daddy keeps changing foods. Wonder was like that until about a year ago when I'd had enough. I just stuck with one food, if you eat it great if not then I guess you'll be hungry won't you? It solved the problem. I was using solid gold at the time and just reccently switched to Blue Buffalo, which she wouldn't eat at all previously, she didn't even bat an eye and had NO problems transitioning. Sometimes every couple of months she'll skip a meal or two but nothing major. A perfectly healthy dog WON'T starve themselves, promise.
I occasionally add a little chicken broth (the no salt added kind) to kibble. Also since you've already been on solid gold and I know you can get it, maybe swing by the place that sold it to you and see if they carry the green cow tripe. Big or little can doesn't matter. I think the big one can be fed as a whole meal but I never used it for that. I just put a spoonful in with the food, sometimes I mix it and sometimes I dont. It smells awful but most dogs love it.
Another thing to try is either natural balance or pet botanics dog food rolls. They sell them in big sausage shaped rolls. It is an actual dog food but I haven't ever met anyone who used it as such. It's super awsome for training though, we call it puppy crack lol. You can slice it and store in zip locks and freeze if you need to. I've crumbled a bit on my regular food for a picky eater we had a couple of years ago to show, it kept him eating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thank you guys for the replies, I may just add some extra flavors to the regular food he's eating. :) hopefully he won't just eat the things that he likes and leave the kibble behind!

·
Registered
646 Posts
We played that game with Mandy as well and finally what got her to eat was I got Casey and if she didn't eat it he did LOL. Yep she went hungry a few times but I don't play the game anymore. Casey now eats in his crate and when he done I give her another 5 min then I go down and pick up the bowl if not empty till the next meal.
Very rarely is anything left in her bowl now. So just give him 20 min and pick it up til supper and then at supper put it down for 20 minutes.
The adding stuff in game gets expencive as well because once food is wet it goes bad so I kept throwing away bowls of food she still wouldnt eat till I had enough and let her get hungry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i am getting Beppo's brother next week, so hopefully he will start competing with his brother for food haha..

·
Registered
912 Posts
I like the put down for 20 minutes and then take up routine too. I do it with mine every day, although I do tend to leave it for 30 minutes. My boys have bones at most meals so as not to rush their eating I am happy to leave them for half an hour. It does teach them to eat when it is presented and as Wonderpup said a healthy dog will not starve.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
yeah, i am getting Beppo's brother next week, so hopefully he will start competing with his brother for food haha..
Wow! lucky you - he will be happy to have his bro! I agree with all the advice about the food. When my daughter got her minis the breeder was feeding them catfood - of all things! - so we had a hard time getting them on kibble. She finally gave in - against my advice - and gave them just canned food. their teeth are lousy and have to be cleaned under anethestic often - very costly! Anyway when I got Ginger she smelled the canned food so would balk at just kibble so I had to mix the two. We use chicken soup for the dog lovers soul now and the all love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts