Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Raxy (8yo rescued minipoo) isn't into kibble. Like, at all. He tolerates it, but ignores it if he can. So I've been reading about cooking my own and raw diets. He and I are away from the family this weekend, and I thought it would be interesting to give him a bone-in raw chicken thigh on a towel in the kitchen.

He is clearly excited about it, and he pulled it out of the dish right away, but then he comes over by me and sits and stares at it. He doesn't usually stare at his food. He's gone in and worked at eating parts of it three times now. And when I check in with him (while he's sitting and staring), he starts to make sort of higher pitched quick sounds, as though he's trying to talk and tell me about it.

In retrospect, he's not really into chewing. He doesn't chew on anything that we can tell. We had hoped that getting his dentalwork done would help, but he still doesn't chew on anything.

Anyway, I just had to share, because I don't think I've ever seen him so confused. LOL

:)
Anabel

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
I did the same once with one of my dogs. After carrying the chicken portion around for a while, occasionally putting it down and staring at it, she gave me to understand that I was very kind, but it would be nicer cooked, preferably with cream and tarragon...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol that's awesome rjm

Raxy ended up eating the whole thing. I am so surprised! I haven't seen him that engrossed in his food ever. And I think he was looking for more once he was finished. He keeps checking the area of the floor where I had him, even though the towel he was on is already in the washer.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I’m happy your dog ate it !

You’re very lucky he stayed on his towel, mine would have brought it into their doggy beds, then on bare floor, then on the carpet... Which is why I would never give raw inside my house !

I’m envious of those who can.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Luckily, I gave Poppy her first raw chicken feet outside. She laid down and rolled all over them from the tip of her pointy little nose to the tip of her fluffy little tail, over and over again. Then she finally ate them.

Now i just hand her one in the kitchen and it never even hits the floor. She eats yhem standing up, crunching happily away.

Oh, and that first time, she had to have a bath, immediately!

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
A neighbour who happened to be visiting when I gave Poppy and Sophy their chicken wings on a throw spread on the floor was hugely impressed when, noticing Sophy getting rather close to the edge, I said "Keep it on the blanket, please" and Sophy picked up her meal and moved it back to the middle. What my friend did not see, of course, were the many many times I picked up wings and moved them while repeating the cue, until the dogs got the message!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quite a normal response to raw. I had one dog - that needed to be introduced to raw as an adult. The fuss he made! He would hide in another room like he was afraid of chicken! However once I offered him beef and other animals he was fine! He even ate fish! Chicken however he hated for all his life and was offended if I tried to sneak it in and mix it - he could always tell!

·
Registered
331 Posts
When Mimi finds a meaty raw bone in her dinner dish she starts crying. She carries it around from one place to another crying & worrying over it trying to find somewhere to hide it.
At first I didn’t allow her to move it, but now I let her do the ritual... it’s so funny.
She carries it to an old blanket she hangs out on in the living room and to a towel I threw on her bed where she “buries it”.
As soon as she’s happy with a hiding spot she takes it right back out again and eats it.
What a goofball!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts