Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I literally just signed up to this forum. It's great to find others who have poodles. I have a standard silver. Her name is Lulu, she's 1-1/2. I'm worried that my girl has an ear infection.

She's never had one before. I've been lax about cleaning her ears for the past several weeks and just did so the other day. I noticed that one of her ears is quite red. I haven't noticed an odour and I haven't seen her scratching or shaking unusually, until just now when I cleaned out her ears again (I use a 50/50 solution of vinegar and alcohol with a few drops of tea tree oil).

She has a fair amount of ear hair and it needs to be cleaned out, but I can't bring myself to do it, which is probably why this happened. My question is, should I take her to the groomer and have them clean out her ears while she has a sore, or infected ear? Or should I go straight to the vet?

Thanks for any help you can offer! I can't seem to post on the grooming page. Not sure why.

kathy

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Welcome, Kathy!

You should be able to post on the grooming page, now - it's forum rules that you first need to post in the member introduction forum and then you should be able to post anywhere...

If your pup has an ear infection (rather than just an irritation) she'll probably need antibiotic ear ointment, which you can get from your vet...

I know everyone has a different situation as far as being able to go to the vet for various things (as far as expenses go), but if it were me, I'd probably take her in and have the vet diagnose infection for sure and then get the appropriate meds...

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Welcome to this forum kfmercure, Hope Lulu does not have an ear infection, but if she does I hope that they heal quickly. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lulu's Ear Infection (?)

Thanks to both of you for the information and your good wishes. It was late last night when I found this forum, so my brain wasn't registering well.

I think I'd made up my mind overnight to take her to the vet. She's not a complainer, but I'm pretty sure it's an infection. At least this way I'll know for sure what one looks like.

I'm very excited to have this forum! I guess I better post a pic of Lulu!

Kathy

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Good plan to take her in! Let us know how that goes. And... YES PLEASE!! Pictures are very welcome!! :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I hope all is well with Lulu! I was also very nervous about getting the hair out of my guy's ears. The other day I took him to the vet, so they could do and he really didn't mind it all. He just sat quietly and sometimes would tip his head like they do when you are scratching their ears. I think he liked it. He didn't seem to be in pain at all during the process. Then when we got home I cleaned his ears really well (it was MUCH easier without all that hair in there. lol) Crossing my fingers that Lulu is alright!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts