Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chase is now 7 months old and my nieghbors have a 10 month old female lab. The 2 dogs love each other which is nice for them to have play mates BUT my dog is barking the entire time they 'play' there is a fence between them and they run along the fence. They both bark but today it's mainly Chase. It's to the point that the lab will bark and 'call' Chase outside to play. Chase will go crazy to get outside when he hears her then it's just constant barking...it's driving me insane....We live in Iowa and the weather is very nice today I want my dog to enjoy it without worrying that the non dog owning nieghbors will turn me in.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
That's a tough one... I have no advice to give, but will be interested to hear what others say! My parents have a similar problem, except ours is not play barking but rather aggression/ fence fighting. Our PWD and the neighbour's Golden scream at each other over the fence, to the point that we basically have to time letting her out when he's not out. Very annoying. :(

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Is there any way that the neighbor's dog can come into your yard or your dog can go into hers (are either or both of them spayed/neutered - although breeding CAN take place through the links of a chain link fence, so that wouldn't stop them if they really wanted to do something about it!)

I think the fence may be frustrating to them and they're barking in playful frustration. They may tone it down a bit or quit if they could actually play together... Just a thought!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any way that the neighbor's dog can come into your yard or your dog can go into hers (are either or both of them spayed/neutered - although breeding CAN take place through the links of a chain link fence, so that wouldn't stop them if they really wanted to do something about it!)

I think the fence may be frustrating to them and they're barking in playful frustration. They may tone it down a bit or quit if they could actually play together... Just a thought!
I think this is the problem for my dog he just wants to play with her...they are both fixed so not issues there. But not there is not a gate I have thought about asking if they will let me borrow her and just let them play it out...maybe I'll try that.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Are you letting him outside every time she "calls" him? If so, you should avoid doing that.
Don't want him (or her) thinking he gets to go out every time SHE barks. Also make sure he is calm before going out to play.
As KPoos said, teach him a "quiet" command.
I think playdates would help as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
But not there is not a gate I have thought about asking if they will let me borrow her and just let them play it out...maybe I'll try that.
I was wondering about that... I have a few pieces of agility equipment in my yard and it made me think about putting up a ramp or something, but the problem would be making sure they go BACK over the ramp when the play day is over! lol! Like kids saying, "I don't WANT to go home!! We're not done PLAYING yet!!" Good luck with whatever you try!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I brought her over and they played for about an half hour. But Chase is back to barking now...grrr I guess I'll try a water bottle or supersoaker next lol!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Hmmm. How much obedience do you have on him? Does he completely zone you out when he is fence running, or is he responsive to you?

A couple things i would try. For one, as suggested, do not let him out when she "calls" him. It is just reinforcing the issue. If you have to let him out while she is out do some obedience exercises with him first. Before he can go out to play he has to focus on you and do what you ask. Some heeling work and "doggy pushups" (sit/down/sit/down) should do. Also i would try bringing him inside when he starts barking (personally if he was mine i would stop the fence running altogether). Whenever he barks go and bring him in. Be very clear that when he starts barking, the fun stops. Dont give him "one chance to stop" Bark=no playing. This will mean that you have to supervise him outside, and not just let him out the door (even though this is the easy way). Like i said, i dont like fence running. I would put a halt to the whole thing and they can play together in eachothers yard. Good luck! This will take some time to train him to stop and you must be on top of it all the time.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If he's really stubborn about it a bark collar might be your best solution. I'm all about training first and would only use it as a last resort but it doesnt have to be a shock type collar they also make citronella ones, etc...

My parents had a pit bull mix they couldn't stop from barking after being reported twice it was their only option, and it has worked wonders. After about a month of wearing it they don't even put it on her anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts