Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you react if someone said that to you about your dogs? This happened at the dog park by a trainer who also has spoos. Part of me is like who cares, grooms are subjective and I hate certain clips too (doodle faces, for instance). But part of me thought it was extremely rude, and I would certainly never say that to anyone.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Rude for sure. Reminds me of a chance encounter on campus at Cornell University were my mother had gotten ahead of me with her mpoo. When Lily and I caught up to her she was talking with some old geezer who was carrying on about his labradoodle (dog wasn't with him) to her. He acknowledged the her dog was a poodle but kept insisting the "thing" I had with me couldn't possibly be a poodle. People like that should think twice before speaking.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Rude! Your dogs are like your children and nobody should make comments about their appearance! I am not a fan of people who defend themselves that they are just being "honest" or "candid". I would remind them of the saying that "opinions are like a$$-holes - everyone has one!" I hope you gave them a piece of your mind!

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Infuriating :angry:

It was one of very few things anyone has ever said about my dogs that really hurt my feelings. It is hard to respond from any place other than feelings no matter how much you try not to do so.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Depending on how I was feeling in the moment, I might have called out the person for being rude. Not saying it would have helped... I think what Reraven123 suggested was spot, and might help the person to change his/her behavior (think twice about what he/she says in the future).

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
it's hard to find the words! I totally get that. Its rude plain & simple.One day a neighbor was walking by and they said Hi Oh did you get your hair cut. I had just had it cut and they cut it a bit shorter than my ling but hey it grow like a weed still. My neighbor then said "did you cut it yourself? I was a bit put out, I didn't even recognize the neighbor but I've been having some problems with my eyes lately so I can't quite tell who is who all the time. I really didn't like the cut but felt a bit insulted that she said that. One neighbor who pets sits had asked me to sit for her dog as she was going out of town, she said to me don't bring anyone in my house with you not even your daughter, not that I have anything against them I just want only you. That too was insulting not that I would have brought anyone with me. I honestly almost said find someone else but she has asked me like a year in advance and was leaving in 3 days so I couldn't do that to her. I know she is a bit strange, in many ways, for instance she has to lie a towel down on her floor to place her grocery bags on when she comes home from shopping, they are not allowed on her counter tops. Her dog bowl must be washed in her laundry room sink and fed outside. Only lately is the dog allowed in her hallway outside the laundry room where it lives when she is not outside. Yet she is the big time dog sitter in the neighborhood who loves dogs. Oh well now I'm sounding just as bad.

·
Premium Member
7,060 Posts
"opinions are like a$$-holes - everyone has one!"!
And you don't necessarily want to hear them... har har

Except FB I never hear bad things about my dogs haircuts. I figure if they are neat, tidy and nary a tangle it shouldn't matter. What annoys me me is when they tell they aren't real dogs... say whaaat?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mufar, I would have been extremely offended by both of those people's comments! However, when you think about it, the first one sounds a bit special in that she's being socially inappropriate, and the second one sounds a little...uptight. That is a reflection on her, not you.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And you don't necessarily want to hear them... har har

:lol:

Except FB I never hear bad things about my dogs haircuts. I figure if they are neat, tidy and nary a tangle it shouldn't matter. What annoys me me is when they tell they aren't real dogs... say whaaat?
Oh, those FB groups...LOL

I totally agree, as long as the dog is comfortable, clean and mat-free, who cares how they're clipped?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That is a very rude thing for someone to tell you. I would have been upset... and love the advice to say “why do you feel the need to tell me this?” Maybe would catch that trainer off guard and help them to realize how rude they are.

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
340 Posts
Super rude! Don’t insult my kids or my pets.

I’ve had people tell me my cat looks like an alien or is “ugly” when I think she is the most beautiful cat I’ve ever seen and have many, many photographs to prove it!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157632842367969

My son was talking on Group FaceTime with some friends and they told him “no offense, but your pets are ugly”. What the heck?!

People can just be rude and clueless.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I think I would have said something like, “Well aren’t you glad then they’re not yours because I think they’re beautiful!” Then just walk away.

But definitely ride. His words mean nothing though. A lot of people don’t like some of the most beautiful clips because they don’t like poodles period. I’m sorry that happened to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 60 Posts