Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had him for just over ten years and he's always been almost impossible to feed. No way for plain kibble... not a chance. Mixed with good stuff, ya... he'll eat that... for a while, 'til he gets used to it.

Then he gets fussy again and refuses it. Then I pick something better to mix with the kibble. Then he eats again... for a while.
It's ALWAYS got to be something better, not back to something he used to like.

Lately he's been eating Beneful (of all kibbles! :O) mixed with half a can of bacon and cheese bits in stew. But one vet (that I accidentally saw last week) was ragging on my for the Beneful so I picked up a small bag of Acana Puppy Food... for the extra protein.

Added water to a cup of the Acana, and 1/4 pound of browned hamburger and he refused it. It's been sitting behind me for three days... it stinks... and he's still not eating it.

I will not replace it. He'll eat it or starve.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Eventually I suppose he will have to eat it...? But make sure it does not rot. Try a homemade dog food instead. Any other questions? Happy to help for the sake of your poodle´s health.

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
I'm guessing you're kidding or trolling with the stinky old food part? Lol.

I can totally relate to this, as Peggy seems to sense when we've invested in a big bag of food she LOVES.

And suddenly it's "loved." Past tense.

Instead of using wet food as a topper, I've switched to serving the topper on the side, in a separate bowl, so it doesn't contaminate the kibble. Then I can safely leave the kibble out during the day for grazing, with no worries about food safety, and only feed the wet stuff at meal times.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tonka's 15... 16 in January. He had a good life but he's at times made mine a hell. Stubbourn, won't approach me to get leashed, I have to walk to him. And sometimes, he does his best to get away from me when I try. Unless he's bothered or afraid of something, generally wants nothing to do with me. He will ALWAYS duck when I reach out to pat him.
He's simply a hateful dog... gives me no joy at all... just a PITA that I have to cater to.
So I've decided to draw a line, and this time make it stick. Eat or starve, dog...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Haha, Tonka's got you trained after 15 years! Just feed him your food - it's what he wants :)

Seriously, though ... Mia's never excited to eat unless it's raw meat. She looks at me with disgust when I offer kibble. Commercial raw is ok, but boy does she salivate over country cut pork.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Countryboy, are you doing ok? In all honesty, your last couple of posts have made me worried for you. I've never seen you describe Tonka as hateful before.

If you are going to try the "Eat or starve" trick - maybe at least put down some dry kibble and throw out the rotten stuff? Better for your nostrils, certainly better for Tonka's.

If you need a break - I can't do it these next two weeks (moving) but I don't live too far, and I could probably look after him for a week or two if that would help.

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts

Oh Countryboy, now you're fighting with your dog. If any of us make it to Tonka's age in dog years, I'm sure we'll cuss out our caretakers at the nursing home if they try to push food down our throats that we don't want. Ignore the vet and please feed Tonka any darn thing he wants.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ummmm... no. In a nutshell, I've not been all right. Been dealing with bladder cancer since last Summer and quit smoking this Summer. Quit smoking is the biggie... I'm now technically cancer free.

Tonka cost me $884 last Fall and was to go back to see the vet again after a groom. Then COVID hit... no groomers open. Then three months later they opened. When I phoned for a date it was a wait for two more months. OK... whatever...

THEN I dropped him off at the groomer... a new one. Got a call within an hour that she had started grooming him but refused to finish him. Demanded I go to the vet to finish the groom.

So now I've got a dog that's half groomed. Figuring, oh well, I'll carefully take the scissors to him. So I did.

First, I cut him in the right ear... secondly, I cut his left ear. AAAAACK!!! I threw the scissors somewhere. lol

A couple of days later I was up for another crack at it. Got quite a bit done but then cut the skin at his throat. The skin that's not attached to the body so will rip like a piece of paper. That kind'a skin...

So now I have a dog with a 4 inch vertical slash in his throat.

I packed him into the car and fled to Cantope. Diane fixed me up, but I wonder really do I wanna put up with all this nonsense.

I think I need a whambulance... ;)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Aww... poor Tonka. And poor you. I'm lucky that I groom mine myself, because what I've heard is it's about the same here in terms of waitlist. Lots of groomers are short staffed because they can't get childcare, too.

Cancer sucks, covid sucks, and everything else sucks too.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help - maybe Tonka can teach Annie a few more poodle manners.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya... Diane's my go-to lady. She's gonna look after his groom as soon as I see his neck heal. It's coming along fairly well.

I still have his old food here so we'll get back to that.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Countryboy - I didn't like your post because I liked it, but to offer support to you and Tonka. As FWOP said, everything sucks right now. And I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer. Where are you in treatment? Congrats on quitting smoking -- that'll make a grouch out of anyone!

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
Ummmm... no. In a nutshell, I've not been all right. Been dealing with bladder cancer since last Summer and quit smoking this Summer. Quit smoking is the biggie... I'm now technically cancer free...
Aww, you've been through a lot with the bladder problem, and giving up your cigarettes was hard and I'll guess still a major struggle.

Visit the free Smoker's Helpline in Canada, with text and phone support, coaches, and other help.

1 877 513-5333
Smoker's Helpline - Canada

All this sheltering in place has also caused a lot of folks to feel isolated. Recovering from a health problem during this time period is a horror when hanging out with others or getting a simple hug from a friend or relative isn't possible for many. And you've been so sick and irritable that even Tonka doesn't want a hug lately. Now that sucks. But dogs are very forgiving, so that can change.

I don't know if you've talked to your doc about this, but many people find relief taking a mild anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medicine for awhile to get them through the rough patches in life, and it doesn't mean it's forever. And there's lots on google about non-medical ways to relieve stress, maybe you'll find one that works for you.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
I’m sorry you have so much on your plate CB. I’m happy you’re now cancer free. Quitting smoking is really hard, and I know it’s the nicotine withdrawal that’s making you more impatient with Tonka. You love your big guy !

As for food, have you tried all-prepared raw ? It comes in frozen portion, you just thaw and serve. You could do a mix of raw and a little kibble if you find it too expensive. We have great brands in Canada : Big Country Raw, Bold Raw (made in Ontario I think) and others.

Both my finicky toys really love it ! Merlin, the anxiety king who has never eaten in front of anyone in 6 years, will eat it less than two feet from me. Today I had forgotten to thaw part of Beckie’s portion and I gave her some direct from the freezer and she ate it in a few seconds...

I hope everything gets better soon. Take food care of yourself and Tonka. xxx

·
Registered
404 Posts
No real solutions here... just some sympathy for stuff that's been piling one thing on top of another...
I never realized Tonka was so old, he looks great for his age! And at this point, I say let him eat any darn thing he wants (and I'm even a vet tech lol!)

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Countryboy, you've surely had your share and then some of huge donkey b's to suck lately. Good for you tho for beating the devils!
Now, hide the scissors and give your poor dog some food!

This just makes me wish again that more of us lived nearer.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts