Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an awful time finding a food that one of my poodles will eat without it giving her loose stools. I've probably bought almost every food out there including the grain free foods and she would either turn her nose up at them or if she would eat them, they'd be not so nice coming out. LOL I am not prepared to feed raw.

Well, I found this one food Blue Basics Salmon and Potato kibble. It has no chicken or poultry by-product, no corn/wheat or soy and no artificial crap. I strongly believe that chicken has been a culprit all along with this dog and it's tough to find a food that has NO chicken in it - even those labelled "lamb" often have chicken in the list of ingredients.

And she LOVES it ! ! ! ! ! Now meal time doesn't have to be a struggle!

·
Registered
646 Posts
like Blue buffalo or what I would love to hear about this food as Mandy chews her skin silly on chicken foods ( tried a number before lightbulb came on to see this is the problem.
Casey alwasy had poop issues before but seams to do well on the food from costco I just hate the problem of 2 different foods. And he smells on it. No poops just smells icky

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Interesting that dogs would be allergic to chicken. Good find on the food. I like Blue Buffalo a lot too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not 100% convinced that chicken is the culprit, but after trying to eliminate everything else, then eliminating chicken was the last thing to try. So far, so good. It's nice to see a dog eat with gusto and not pick at their food as though it's giving them a stomach ache.

I hate worrying. LOL

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I wouldn't have thought of chicken. Great that you could narrow it down like that. Its good that the new food seems to be working for you. I hope that all continues well.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
congrats on finding a food that works with her, no matter what the reason! I know exactly how worrying it is when your dog is not eating good and you can't find a food that works. Hope it keeps working well!!! :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL I guess the true story will be the next few days. She has not pooped all day (so that is GOOD). Amazing how we focus so much on what comes "out".

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I am so glad to hear that :):):) !!!!!! I can only imagine what frustration tummy issues cause to the both - a dog and the owner : ((( !!!

Thanks for letting us know about possible "unlikely" culprit !!!! It seems that dogs can be allergic to anything - the same way we humans can :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I groom an terribly itchy wheaten and the owners were always at their wits end with this dog's skin. I told them that if they want to know what its allergic to, they otta break down and spend the money at a dermatolgist and get it tested once and for all. I would have never guessed what it was most allergic to; POTATOES. and mold, fleas, and a few other things, but not chicken or beef. So the dog is doing much better now. But I still am a strong believer in TRUE good testing. I think the trial and error testing costs just as much....you spend money on dozens of foods, carpet cleaners, anti diarreah medicine and so many other things in the attempt to find out what really works and what doesn't. I'm glad your dogs are doing well now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts