Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:noidea:

Poor Bauer!!

He is due for a haircut and his hair is getting pretty long... He's scheduled at the groomer's in a week. Today I decided to trim around his eyes because he probably couldn't see very well, and when I did I noticed there was a lot more "eye crusty" than usual. I grabbed a paper towel and when I pulled the crusty off, a big chunk of scab came off!! He has a huge bald spot right at the corner of one eye! I called the vet and they said to clean it and leave it alone until I can get him in. I have to work this afternoon but I have an appointment for him tomorrow morning.

I feel sooooo bad for not noticing sooner, I hope it's nothing serious!! The other eye is fine but if it's an infection who knows what could have happened had I not noticed it now.. I cleaned his ears about a week and a half ago and I always pick off the eye crusties when I do that so I know it hasn't been longer than that since it happened... I'm guessing it was probably something he picked up when we went out to the farm last weekend. He ran around for hours and could have easily picked something up... but jeez, I just feel so bad!!!

He's not acting any different and his actual eye looks fine.. It's not gooey or cloudy but I have posted a pic for you to see. If you've ever seen something similar let me know cause I'm curious to know what it is and if it's serious I'll take him to the 24 hour vet clinic when I'm done work.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Wow... Im not too sure either. I would definatly say to keep it really clean and free of hair. When my Rat Terrier was attacked we had to put a neosporin ointment on her stitches 2 times a day which was the lid of her eye. So the ointment got in her eye a little and the vet said thats ok. It didn't bother her any.

If it was me I would do some ointment and get to the vet when you can. I'd hate to see that get worse being so close to the eye.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
ohhh poor Bauer. Its probably just that the crust stuck and his skin came with it. Ginger gets that way I have to do her eyes almost every day. The stuff that comes out is so thick and even when the hair is short around the eyes it sticks. I use a fine comb to carefully get it off. Today I had a hard time - had to keep wetting and used my fingers to finally get it. Poor doggies! My vet said to wash her face everynight too. I am going to try the chamomile tea that was suggested on here too.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Oh yes - I also just started using this ointment called Stye that I use on my own lids and I put a little under the eye after cleaning.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bauer is such a cutie!
Thanks! I think so too!

As for the little ouchie, I'm still feeling badly about it. I had to check the site form work to make sure nobody told me to run to the vet right away... My poor guy. Is it really possible to pull of such a big chunk of skin just from the eye goo? I honestly didn't have to pull any harder than usual, and I usually do it every 1-2 weeks because I find it easier when it's dry... it just slides out. It wasn't any different this time so you can imagine my surprise when I saw that big pink patch of raw skin... He didn't yelp or pull away either so I don't think it hurt him at all. He didn't like me cleaning it though, I just used some mild antibacterial soap and a q-tip. Probably stings... I'll let you all know what the vet says tomorrow!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I would also suggest cleaning the eye gunk daily to avoid that possibly happening again. I clean my boys daily, morning and night.

They make it easy though...every morning when I get up to relieve myself they follow me in. I take that chance to grab the toilet paper and clean morning gunk away while Im relieving myself. lol

Eli ecspecially gets a ball of gunk in the inner inside corner of each eye. Ive found if I do that first thing they dont have eye boogie issues through out the day.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I wasn't sure if it was just Max, or a poodle thing. He gets eye boogs regularly but it seems like every time we go to the dog park he gets green goo. At first I thought it was an infection. The vet said no and gave us some drops, that cleared it up promptly. It keeps happening though. I'm not sure if it's the dirt or slobber from other dogs or what.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh my gosh, that looks like it would burn... eek... can't imagine having that little wound near my eye, poor baby

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I agree about cleaning the eye goobers daily - then they won't stick. With Ginger they stick anyway but like I said she gets globs and it doesn't come out in the corner but the middle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I took Bauer to the vet this morning, $100 later I was given some antibiotic drops for the skin near his eye. Guess it was just from not cleaning his eyes often enough.. The vet said 2-3 times a day... I'll do it but it seems like a real pain in the ass. I have a million other things to do during my day, guess i can tack that onto the ever growing list... ugghhh.

On the bright side I got a business card for a trainer, she only does classes in the spring and summer though so I might have to wait. I got some good advice for Bauer's acting up though, the vet said to avoid looking at him at all costs because he likes the attention I give him when I say no... Not the advice i expected but I can see why ignoring his bad behaviour would work in some instances.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts