1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got paid by a lady that lives a house down from me to
groom her little 6 week yorkie/shih tzu cross. He was just
as cute as a button! Basically she just wanted a very simple
cut for summer seeing he had all this hair.

...but when those clippers got close to him and even the scissors
though they make no noise...the little bugger flipped out and tried
to attack, lmao! The little **** was trying to bite the scissors and
everything and this was a 6 week old puppy, good grief. I finished
the job though, and topped him off with a purple bow and the owner
was thrilled.

This goes to show how dogs that posess a lot of hair like poodles
should be clipped at an early age to get used to the sound, etc.
The little fella didn't know what in the world was going on.
I was clipping Maddie when she was 4 weeks for Christ sake, lol.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about MM. Last year we had a litter of 4 toy poodles, and their very first clipping went sorta' like the one you did for your neighbor, even though we made sure that they were exposed early to touch with clippers, scisssors and etc, with and with out them being turned on. But when the actual clipping and snipping began, at about 4 wks. of age 3 out of 4 of them went bonkers.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
What on earth is someone getting you to do a 6 week old puppy for. They should be vacc at 6 weeks then not touched by anyone till 8 weeks when the vaccine has worked on them.

The best way to do a young pup is in between your legs, they cant go far at all and dont fight for long. I sit on a stool and do this.

But you are right, the younger the better when they have to get use to clippers.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
:p MM ! Hahahahahaha.... weclome to my world. I had one of those today, little turd latched onto my index finger before I even flipped the clippers on. Seems to be becoming a specialty of mine. I think there is a vet or competing groomer or weirdo client out there thats mad at me or something and keeps refering these awful dogs.

"OH... Your dog is a freak?? Well give Leia a call, she's good at those.... "
*phone rings*
Oh your dog is an 18 month old lhasa who's NEVER had a haircut?? Oh he bit vet last week did he?? Ohhh he's really matted and needs a shave...ummmm?? OH, Animal control has ticketed you and ordered him to be groomed?? Ummmm... maybe we can see how it goes.... for 100 bucks. Oh you'll be here when...? Ok (damnit)
You think I'm kidding don't you... :mad:

Then of course comes the utter and complete shock when Surprise they get that phone call saying the dog has tried to eat my face off and I will not be completing the groom so you can come pick him up now... And as a lovely parting gift YOU have just earned a referal back to your vet for grooming under sedation :) We dont do that here, so good luck and have a nice day.

Seriously though, I was thinking the same thing about the age, thats a bit young to be clipped by a somebody outside the home, I don't take pups in for grooming until their are at least 10 weeks and have had TWO sets of puppy shots.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys I didn't know about the age to be groomed
outside of the home honestly. LOL Siv, I had to hold him
between my legs most of the time.

I feel for ya Wonder really I do, I used to want to be a groomer
but not anymore! LOL! :p

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forget the needles, that catheter they give you in the hospitals
still gives me nightmares, makes mah skin crawl thinking about it, lol!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
LOL MercyMoon,

Ya I quit grooming Poodles on the side for extra $$. Between the biting, peeing on my carpet, and all the hair, it had to end. I dont mind finding my own dogs hair around after a grooming, but not other's dogs. Yuck!

Also, I cant tell you how many people said they have a Poodle or Poodle mix that looked like a shitzu (sp?) or a yorkie. They weren't Poodle mixes, they just wanted a cheap groom and I only agree'd to clip POODLES!

I dont know how groomer's do it, I really dont!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Forget the needles, that catheter they give you in the hospitals
still gives me nightmares, makes mah skin crawl thinking about it, lol!
Ugh, yeah MM, I already know about that and I wouldn't wish that on anyone lol. I'm such a weenie when it comes to such things.

LOL, I know what you mean finding other dog's hair around Secreto. I often find hair that doesn't belong to any of my crew in the laundry or in my car. I have to wash my grooming clothes seperatly from my regular wash. I have two wardrobes I suppose, that have to kept seperate right down to the underwear. Little hairs get stuck in the oddest places LoL.

I love my job, I love my job, I love my job....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts