Poodle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gracie finished her puppy class last week. The instructor stopped me on the way out and said she didn’t usually care much for poodles much but she just loved Gracie. She said she loved her energy, her confidence, and said she’s had a lot of poodles in class that didn’t have great temperaments.

So, wasn’t sure exactly how to respond, but I thanked her and told her that this is how poodles should be, howthey were meant to be, and how they can be with good breeding.

Gracie was a nice example for the breed and that made me very proud, and reassured that the research I did paid off.

I have given up on my 52 week thread because I’m not consistent enough for it, but here are a few pics of her chasing bubbles and playing in the weave poles with my grand niece yesterday.

She’s getting big quickly, be 5 months on 5/1.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
It’s always heartwarming to get compliments on our poodles. She’s so cute playing with your grandniece.

What shame that trainer hasn’t seen many well breed and well socialized poodles. Good for Gracie, she taught the teacher a lesson in how wonderful poodles are.

Reactions: Carolinek

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
It always makes me sad when people who see lots of dogs of many types are surprised to meet a nice poodle. I am preaching to the choir, but of course I think they are just the best dogs with GSD a close second of course.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
no reason given for not liking the breed? usually one gives a reason. too barky, too difficult to groom, prefer real guard dogs, whatever. very odd behavior from a trainer.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Well, to start with, congrats on the compliment! Means you are working super hard with your girl!

As far as the trainer's opinion about poodles...maybe she is thinking of poodles mixes she worked with in the past that were a little out of control? (Not to dis poodle mixes! I have had many..and still have one.)

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
My Gracie is a good ambassador for the breed. She seems intent on having everybody she meets fall in love with her. So far her plan is working well. There is a long queue of people who say that if we have to leave for the bridge or the nursing home, they would love to have her. Must be the name?

Eric

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a shame that some people have pre conceived notions about poodles, I think they are rather great dogs- smart, athletic, born comics, and stunningly beautiful.....what’s not to love?!

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of poodles in this area, so not many opportunities to dispel myths, and a couple bad examples may have shaped her opinion. That’s a good point that she may be lumping poodle mixes in there as well, who may come from questionable breeding practices. Yes, and nothing wrong with mixed breeds, I’ve had many of them as well. Lily is a poodle mix, but everyone just calls her a poodle, even seasoned dog people. And Lily did have many behavioral issues, probably mostly from being a stray, but she’s also probably not from great breeding practices.

The trainer did elaborate and say that many poodles she has met were fearful and/ or aggressive. I appreciated that she was so honest, and felt comfortable with me to be honest. It opened up the conversation to how important good breeding is. I was able to tell her that I met three generations of Gracie's line, all with great temperaments, and that was a major factor in committing to a puppy from that line.

But Eric, you may be right that it’s truly the name that sealed the deal!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She is quite a poodle! Whether I’m a balanced owner might be up for debate ?

Reactions: Countryboy

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, she is like a mini me of your Gracie Eric!

She met a large standard blue poodle at our training center.They looked pretty interesting standing next to each other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.